making a pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a pattern

I'm sure this has been asked before and I can't locate the answer. Is there a computer graphics program that allows you to make a basic pattern from a photo? Something that brings out the highlights and shadows so the basic shapes can be touched up to make the silhouette. I have been trying with some simple programs I have, but so far nothing has really worked out.

There are so many programs you can use for patterns. Almost all paint programs can be tweaked for that. PSP and Corel are very popular.
    I use Me on a pumpkin for some patterns, They "Carving Technologies" are coming out with a new porgram for woodworkers very soon.
    I suspect by mid April.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Hi Keith

No matter which computer program you use to convert your pictures into patterns, you're very unlikely to find one that will do everything for you with one key stroke. Neither Paint Shop Pro nor Corel will do this; I don't know about Me On A Pumpkin because I've never used it, but I'd be surprised if it was a one key solution.

It's a good idea to learn how to use the software to design patterns using a tutorial such as the one by Andy Deane for PSP, which is here.

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Keith....

Here's a good forum on which to ask pattern questions:

http://groups.msn.com/AbsolutelyFree.../messages.msnw

Good luck....and have phun

Carter

Comment

making a pattern

I also use me on a pumpkin for simple patterns you can also try this pattern making program it's a shareware program that you can try for 15 days I believe. http:www.zoner.com/draw4/overview.asp
          When you hit rock bottom the only answer is to look up

Comment

I have just started trying to do some patterns. Most of the info I got was from http://groups.msn.com/AbsolutelyFree.../messages.msnw My third pattern of an eagle head I just posted in my album. I have done a total of 4 patterns now and have a few more in the works. It becomes addictive!!! Only problem is it takes time away from saw All the people are very helpful (as on this site also!) I had posted a pattern request on the site and within 2 hours had a pattern back of my '75 Goldwing. After looking at it thought I might like to try this. Have had fun since. How did they do this 30 years ago?

Tim
            "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

The MSN groups do produce some lovely patterns, but be careful - they often need a lot of refinement to make them practical. At least the Goldwing pattern doesn't have any floaters, but some of those bridges look awfully fragile and you'd have to be very skillful to cut a lot of the detail.

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Using Patterns - templates

Hi

When making patterns, use (old) XRay's to make the template.

SculpturedBox
                www.tonyward.org

Comment

Keith i been playing with a freeware called photofilter it has a downloadable filter called contour,
                  so far i have only got it to work on images with great outlines, but it dose work.

http://www.photofiltre.com/

most times im stuck printing out the photo or scan then back to the thin perminate marker to make outline.

but as Gill said there is not a magic bullit....
                  try photo filter to see if your smarter than i am, it might be something good and i just couldnt get the hang of it.
                  Dremel 1680 & Delta ss250 shopmaster

Comment

Image management software - free!

Hi

If you are looking for a neat image editing programme, thats free, then you can't go past -

http://www.irfanview.com/

SculpturedBox
                    www.tonyward.org

Comment

Hi Gill,
                      The Goldwing pattern is going to be one of my 'not in a rush projects'. I was thinking of doing it about 18"x24". It is of my personal "75 Goldwing that I had restored last year. I had received another pattern but it had a lot of detail blocked out. Since I figured I would probably be the only on cutting it out that I would try to keep as much detail as possible. Have had fun making patterns through!

Tim
                      "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X