Foot Switch Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot Switch Use

I just strarting to do some scroll saw work and was wondering if any of you use a foot switch? Seems that it would be a big beneft.
    Thanks Bob
    MinotBob
    Makita MSJ-401
    Universal Tools:
    Remember you only really need 2 tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the Duct Tape

MinotBob--
    Yes. I use a foot switch as do several others on this forum. I use one that turns the saw on when you put your foot on it and turns the saw off when your foot is removed. Another type is just an "on/off" switch you work with your foot. I don't like that as well as the one I am using. The foot switch allows (to me anyway) more control since you do not have to reach for switches while the saw is running, etc.
    By the way--are you "Minot" Bob because you are from Minot, ND? I spent four years at "Why Not Minot?" AFB babysitting missiles and got a graduate degree from UND. Just curious.
    Moon
    Old Mooner

Comment

can't use the saw with out one jim
      http://www.picturetrail.com/uid3726744

Comment

MinotBob, I have the "on/off" switch that Mooner described mounted at knee heighth and just bump it with my knee to turn the saw on or off. I stand while sawing. Mick
        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I have my foot switch hooked up to saw and vaccuum. When saw starts so does vac. I wouldn't do without it now! Looking to get more for other tools in shop.
          "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

In my making of jigsaw puzzles, I use my DeWalt a lot. I do not have a foot switch and have never seen how one would be helpful. I cut some puzzle pieces and then turn the saw off. I never cut in short bursts and never have to make inside cuts for which I would have to turn the saw off and disconnect a blade.

In short, your potential use of a foot switch depends, in my opinion, on what you plan to do.

Have phun....

Carter

Comment

Mooner - I don't live in Minot.....yet. I currently live in Taiwan working for Boeing. I have a place SE of Minot and plan to retire there is about 5 years.

I was looking at the Switch on the Scollit web sie at http://www.scrollit.com/Foredom%20Foot%20Switch.htm

Also, since I'm new to Scrolling, What would be good selection of blades to order. I plan to get some 2/0 Spiral but what other should I pick up?

I think I'll order one.
              Thanks
              Bob
              MinotBob
              Makita MSJ-401
              Universal Tools:
              Remember you only really need 2 tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the Duct Tape

Comment

Email Mike (3M) for blade info. PM me if you need his web address or e-mail address.
                Last edited by BobD; 03-08-2006, 08:38 AM.
                Smitty
                Dewalt 788

Comment

Never used a foot switch; never felt one would help me.

In fact, I've scrolled projects that were more than 3' from the edge of the wood to the blade which would have made a foot switch very undesirable. I found myself adjusting my posture and balance so much that the ability to shift my feet was a real boon.

Gill
                  There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                  (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

foot switch

I love my foot switch. One tap its on and one tap it's off I have my saw set on a certain speed when I first start a project and leave it there until I'm done.
                    When you hit rock bottom the only answer is to look up

Comment

Foot switch/vaccuum

Originally posted by core-eagle
                      I have my foot switch hooked up to saw and vaccuum. When saw starts so does vac. I wouldn't do without it now! Looking to get more for other tools in shop.
                      Hi! I just accidently hit the wrong key and I don't know if my post went through. If it did and this is the second post - I'm sorry.

I have a DW788 and want to use a vac when I scroll. Could you please help me with a few questions? What type of vac do use use? Is it very loud? How far away is it from you? Where exactly is the nozzle placed? How is it hooked-up to your foot switch? My old shop-vac is very loud. But, maybe the newer models are quieter???

Any info, help and thoughts that you could share would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Tony,
                        I have a Fein vac, which is much quieter than most, but it can still be irritating after a long session. It sits right next to my scroll saw stand, but only because that's where it fits best in my little shop. The Fein is more expensive than most shop vacs, but the reduced decibels is worth it to me. I still wear hearing protection to prevent any long term problems. I use the earmuff type which is comfortable for me. I forget I even have them on.

It's not hooked up to my foot switch right now, but I'm thinking about changing that.

I used PVC pipe to create a dust collection system for my saw. It connects to the Fein. It collects dust from both above and below the saw. It still needs some tweaking, but has been very effective. I really like the PVC pipe because it is light, cheap, and easy to work with. And you can buy all kinds of bends, Tee's, etc. to build the system. I spent less than $20 for the whole thing, and I have pipe left over. I tried to put the pipe as close to the blade as possible without interfering with the saw or the piece I'm cutting.

Dan

Comment

urband, Thanks for the info. The Fein is a very good vac but a little too expensive for my budget. I also use ear muff protection. Maybe if I take my vac into another room and run pvc to the saw...(?) Or, just be content with one white pant leg.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
                            Never used a foot switch; never felt one would help me.

In fact, I've scrolled projects that were more than 3' from the edge of the wood to the blade which would have made a foot switch very undesirable. I found myself adjusting my posture and balance so much that the ability to shift my feet was a real boon.

Gill
                            Gill are my eyes deciving me. 3'. wow how in the world do you do that?
                            I would think it would be even harder to get to your turn on and off switch from that size. I must be reading something roung. wow 3'. cant emagin. I have a 18 inch throte. and cant hardly get that between me and the saw blade. but i sure could learn from you. do you use a spirale on a projeck that size? please come back on this one. I do use a foot switch. and wouldn't wont to be without it. I had a saw that i didn't have one on,. and i hated stoping in mid stream. to reach down , to turn my saw on and off. buy hand. to change blade holes. when i have a projeck longer than where i set to cut. i just stand up, move my foot switch out from my saw and then i can cut from far back. but 3' wow. my arms arn't even long enouph. not to mention my belly hahah.boy do i have alot to learn. your friend Evie.

Comment

Foot Switch

I have a foot switch for each of my scrollsaws and both are attached to a vacuum cleaner. The lines go both above and below my table so I have NO BLOWING DUST. The quiet Fien is several feet away and the other is in a carpet lined box, which really reduces the sound. I also have one attached to my drill press so that when I have the bit in position with one hand and the wood with the other I can press the foot switch and it works great. I wish I could figure out how I could get the light right above the work to come on but it is tied in with the power so it also comes on with the switch.
                              I also do slab work where the piece can be two to four feet wide and some times I have to make like a rubber legged man to keep my foot on the switch. Some times thought of taping it to my shoe > Any way I wouldn't be without it.
                              Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                              Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                              Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by meflick
                                got mine in the mail today. Thanks.Cute and befitting. Now I need to know how it’s made/what it’s made from. (On everyone gets theirs of course.)...
                                Yesterday, 08:21 PM
                              • Jo Labre
                                Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
                                by Jo Labre
                                At the time I thought "Ah, spit!" (or words like that) and just threw the blade in the garbage. It was the #5 size blade. I suspect it would cost more to have it done than the cost of a new blade. The owners manual is not very helpful, the wording is awkward, having been 'translated' into...
                                Yesterday, 11:13 AM
                              • hotshot
                                by hotshot
                                The brazing process doesn't look too bad. I have seen the welders built into the industrial bandsaws, so out of curiosity, I looked that up and that process is pretty cool to watch also, though trying that on something this small would probably light the whole thing up....
                                Yesterday, 10:14 AM
                              • Rolf
                                by Rolf
                                Jo, I did a bit of research on the web, and there are lots of videos of people silver soldering broken blades. In hindsight I remember I had made a jig eons ago to do just that, when I still had a small Craftsman bench top three wheeler....
                                Yesterday, 09:32 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by Rolf
                                I haven't even decided what to make!
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              Working...
                              X