Scroll Saw Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroll Saw Help

I'm newally retired and joined the LIWoodWorkers club. I want to purchase a beginners scroll saw, and have come to the Delta SS250, Craftsman 21609/21610, Tradesman 8366SL & Dremel 1680. I'm now stuck between the Delta & the Craftsman. I really need some guidance where, can you help me out?

Thanks in advance
    Tom...

I have a Craftsman and I love it--but I guess it just depends on what you want in a saw..
    I have no complaints with my saw at all- I'd even go so far as say my $149. is as good as those costing hundreds.But when you get your saw spend the extra $18 and get the replacement warranty- that way if you have any trouble in the next 3 yrs it is replaced with a brand new one and not just repaired. and if you start sawing believe me you will put it to good heavy use.

Sharon

Comment

I agree with Sharon on this one. I think the Craftsman 16" VS is the best lower priced scrollsaw available. I own one of these as well as the Dremel 1680 and a Excalibur EX-30 so I do have a little to compare it to.

Kevin
      Kevin
      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Welcome tm29, both those saws will serve you well.

Before you make a decision on which one to buy, try changing a blade in each one.
        The blade clamping system in the Delta, while not tool less is very quick.
        The Craftsman, features up front controls which really are an asset.
        Both saws , when set up properly have minimum vibration, The service on both saws is comparable.

I have used a Delta for 9 years with very few problems. I have used a friends Craftsman, and the only issue I had was the lower blade change.

Like I said in the beginning, try to change a blade in each machine before you buy.
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Carl the new Craftsman saws are tooless top and bottom now
          Sharon

Comment

Follow the leads already given.Blade changeing to me is the most important deciding factor,(and it MUST accept pinless blades) to purchasing one over the other. Vibration being the second most important (to me anyways), then easy access controls, variable speeds, dust blower,ect ect all fall in the mix as well. Trying the saws would be nice, if thats available, but I doubt that, unless the salesman could pull a few strings, but thats unlikely, most salesman dont even know how to turn one on, and not many have the drive to go the extra mile to make a happy customer. dale
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
              Reply to New tools
              by jim_mex
              Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
              Yesterday, 11:14 PM
            • Hobbyhorse
              Reply to New tools
              by Hobbyhorse
              Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
              Yesterday, 11:03 PM
            • Hobbyhorse
              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
              by Hobbyhorse
              Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
              Yesterday, 10:58 PM
            • KarlB
              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
              by KarlB
              Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
              Yesterday, 09:41 PM
            • KarlB
              Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
              by KarlB
              Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
              Yesterday, 09:31 PM
            Working...
            X