Bought it! (Hope I did right...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought it! (Hope I did right...)

Thanks, or blame, to the folks here for helping me spend my hard-earned hobby money. I bought a DeWalt 788, plus stand, from Amazon.com. The saw was $419, the stand was $59. Shipping was free. Plus, they have a promo of $50 off a $300 purchase, making my DeWalt 788 and stand cost a total of $430.

I ordered an EasyLift, as recommended here from Woodcraft (had some other things to order, so shipping was already covered). I ordered a trial blade assortment from Mike's Woodshop.

So, I think I'm ready to go scrolling. Please tell me I did the right thing...that could have been fishing money.

YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!

As you may know, I'm the guy who makes freehand-cut jigsaw puzzles. My advice, when you start scrolling, is to let yourself be free from patterns once in awhile as you learn. Visualize and then cut a giraffe, a tree, a car, a tulip, a lawn rake, a teddy bear, an arrow, anything you wish....in order to not get yourself locked into the need to always have a pattern....and to tap into your inherent creativity.

Have phun.....

Carter

Comment

Hi Joe

Look at it this way - if you haven't done the right thing, there's plenty of people around here who'll happily relieve you of a hardly-used second hand DW 788 for a reasonable price !

I'm sure you've not made a mistake, though, and I wish you much enjoyment of your new yellow and black friend.

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

The only thing I can say is you didn't buy enough blades-And yes you did the right thing on all aspects- now go make sawdust and have a ball doing it
        Sharon

Comment

Congratulations Joe;
          I wish you many years of happy scrolling with your new saw.
          W.Y.
          http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Congrats Joe, you will never want to get up now. You will sit in front of that saw for hours , but dont worry, the hours fly by like minutes!! Have a blast! dale
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Yup, Joe, you did good!
              If you haven't much experience on the scroll saw, you'll do well to invest in John Nelson's "Scroll Saw Workbook" - you can get it a lot of places, this web site for one. It's almost like taking a class.
              Congratulations on the acquisition of your new toys!
              Sandy

Comment

Bought it

Congrats Joe
                You will have many years of cutting with the Dewalt .It is one fine saw . I have had one for 7 years with no problems.
                Smitty
                Dewalt 788

Comment

You should be happy with the DeWalt. Make sure to check the table for flatness when you get it. I think it was harrisg who noticed his was "off" - like the hole was punched thru from the bottom and left a small crown. After his post - can't remember where, I laid a flat dge on mine and noticed the same thing, although not as severe. Dewalt made good on mine and, I believe after a couple tries, his as well.

And Gill's right, someone will be more than happy to take it off your hands if you don't like it. I think lucky788 needs another one....
                  ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Good work Joe!! You will never regret buying quality.

Rhys H.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pack
                      Thanks, or blame, to the folks here for helping me spend my hard-earned hobby money. I bought a DeWalt 788, plus stand, from Amazon.com. The saw was $419, the stand was $59. Shipping was free. Plus, they have a promo of $50 off a $300 purchase, making my DeWalt 788 and stand cost a total of $430.

I ordered an EasyLift, as recommended here from Woodcraft (had some other things to order, so shipping was already covered). I ordered a trial blade assortment from Mike's Woodshop.

So, I think I'm ready to go scrolling. Please tell me I did the right thing...that could have been fishing money.
                      Hey thanks for the heads up. After wanting one for over two months, my tax check came back so I headed out to get one. The local Chase Pitkins are all going out of business and I happened to find a display on sale for 246.00. This, after I had just looked at it 3 days earlier and it was 379.00. So I immediately jumped on the thing, it had no hold down, missing upper blad clamp thumbscrew, no allen wrenches and no book, full warranty I guess though. My oh so wise girlfriend suggested I try plugging it in before we left with it as they don't accept returns since they are on the way out of business. Wouldn't you know the dang thing was dead as a doornail. Wouldn't turn on at all. Didn't even look at fuse, guy said it had been on display for 8 years lol.

Went to Dewalt repair shop as they sell some stuff too and asked the nice older lady working if she had the "world famous" dewalt scrollsaw. She said yes! Asked her if I could see it, she said no! It's mine and you can't have it! lol...spoke to her some more, found out there are currently 11 parts for it that you can't order anymore. Also found out that the most it could cost to have it totally rebuilt end to end would be $202 plus tax. Seems like a great deal as I never forsee it requiring that much work if it breaks. Was all reserved to buy a refurb from toolking for 360 shipped then I saw your post here. Great deal, ended up 369.94 so 9.94 more for a brand new one...they also have a deal right now where you can get a free dewalt heavy duty reciprocating saw with 300 dollars worth of tool purchase but it wouldn't let me combine it with the 50 off. If anyone has a need for both, the reciprocating saw there normally goes for 75 bux. Thanks again for the heads up here, had I not checked here first it would have meant a used one for almost the same price!
                      Last edited by JTpcguy; 02-11-2006, 07:56 AM.

Comment

dewalt

Joe, You Bought A Very Good Saw. I've Had One For 5 Yrs Now. Read The Owners Manuel, You Will Need To Change Out The Brushes From Time To Time And Always Run Your Shop Vac Over The Switches To Keep Dust Out. Other Than That, Have Fun !

Comment

yup you made the right choice
                          http://www.picturetrail.com/uid3726744

Comment

{{ And Gill's right, someone will be more than happy to take it off your hands if you don't like it. I think lucky788 needs another one....}} I always have room for another!! When the 4H group is over, they all love to jump on a scrollsaw!!
                            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

dewalt

I have a foot switch for mine and leave the switch on the saw on all the time. Forgot that I did have a problem way back when with the saw not starting. It was sawdust in the switch so you may have to blow it out once and a while .Some folks tape a piece of a latex glove over the switch to keep the dust out. The foot switch also allows me to keep my hands on the piece being cut when I need to shut down.
                              Smitty
                              Dewalt 788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                                I like the fact...
                                Today, 08:34 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              Working...
                              X