upper saw arm guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upper saw arm guard

The thread on removing the hold down (which I did a long time ago) got me thinking about another "safety" feature I have thought about removing (actually, I have tried it with and without) - the uppper arm guard. I am talking about the inverted U channel over the upper saw arm. It seems to have three purposes - to protect you from being hit by the upper saw arm, to house the bellows for the blower and to wake the dead when you break a blade.

It can make fretwork a bit more difficult because it limits how far you can raise your workpiece to fish the blade through the hole (yeah, I'm a bottom feeder). I have thought about cutting/grinding the lower front corners off and/or maybe cutting it off just past the bellows. Another option would be to just take it off and have no blower. And yet another is to take it off and build a replacement bellows holder out of something less resonant. If you haven't owned a saw with an arm guard, you may scratch your head about the resonance issue, but if you have, you know what I am talking about. When I break a blade, it just about gives me heart failure. It sounds like somebody firing a machine gun in a steel drum factory.

Anyway, I am curious if others with similar saws have modified, removed or replaced the guard.
    -Andy

I am not sure what saw you have, I'm presuming a delta? I use a yella saw, and really have only broke one or two blades since i started using it, both spiral blades.I havent yet broke a regular flat blade on the yella saws.On my older Ryobi I have broken a few though
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I am curious about what upper arm guard you are referring to and what make of a saw it is that has a removeable upper guard. . I didn't even read all the long thread about the hold down this time because that topic comes up so often and the replies are always so numerous and basically the same.
      I don't break a blade year in , year out on my Delta P-20 except for just recently when I broke a couple tiny blades when I was trying jigsw puzzles for the first time and that was my own fault because I had never used blades that small and I was pushing on them like I would a number 5. Once I found the limitations of the blade I started cuttting out puzzles with hundreds of pieces effortlessly with just one blade and no more broken ones.
      This upper arm guard you refer to is a new one on me so I am just curious about it.
      W.Y.
      http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

What I have is this saw:

http://www.toolcenter.com/8354sl.html

in another color with a different label. Where the big label is - that is just a big piece of U channel and if you take it off the saw works fine but the moving arm is exposed and you have no blower.

Interesting variance of experiences with breakage. I scroll mostly thick hardwood. I haven't ever broken one on thinner stuff (except when stacked; the 3 trains in my album are 3/16" maple and I cut them all at once and did break two #5 blades). Maybe I go too tight?
        -Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy. That is one saw that I am not familiar with and I see now what you are referring to. Looks like a pretty decent saw and we don't often see a 5 year warranty on that price range of a saw. Glad you like it and you are a happy scroller.
          W.Y.
          http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

It's a single speed direct drive induction motor that requires a T wrench to change blades, cast iron base and table. All stuff that has been in production for about a million years, hence the low price and long warranty. Mine is actually a "Master Mechanic" - the Tru-Value store brand. Would I rather have a DeWalt? Absolutely! But for reasons of convenience and flexibility, not reliability or accuracy.
            -Andy

Comment

Andy

That saw must be made under many names. I have not used it for a couple years, but I have one that looks like the picture gave the link to. The only thing I see is mine is Gray colored, and it does have electronic speed control.

The first order of business when I got it was to rig up the blower so it can be used without that plastic guard.

In my pre DeWalt days I used this one, and it did an all right job for me. Would not want to go back now though, I have been spoiled with the easy blade changing, and bigger size of the DeWalt.
              Blade Man AKA Ben Fink
              P├ęgas Scroll Saw Blades

Comment

Your guard was plastic? I wish mine was. Mine is aluminum. The aluminum is incredibly loud when a blade breaks. You had its newer slightly more expensive brother with speed control and some other minor changes (which I guess includes a plastic guard). I think that the actual manufacturer is Rexxon and yes they are happy to paint it any color and slap any label on it.

What did you use to rig the blower?
                -Andy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by tgiro01
                  One issue I found with the insert that comes with the saw was the areas they smoothed for the kickback pawls. If the insert is leveled correctly, those areas are sitting about 1/32-inch below the table. I had a problem with some small pieces getting caught and jamming because of that. Sawstop's recommendation...
                  Today, 08:18 AM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to Interesting pallet
                  by Rolf
                  That is a definit rescue for a special project. I rarely get or use any pallet wood. But did use some from the pallet that my drill press was on. It looked like pine but was was very hard, carefully checked for nails and ran it through the drum sander with some 80 grit to get rid of any small grit.
                  Today, 08:16 AM
                • Quartz43
                  Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                  by Quartz43
                  I wish I could post the video as it looks better with the lights blinking. I used some red clear plastic behind the eyes and nose. It was a fun project.
                  Yesterday, 07:29 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Interesting pallet
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  Maybe a star shining to tell us something? That piece of wood is a very special piece! Good eye.
                  Yesterday, 07:27 PM
                • Misouri Wayne
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by Misouri Wayne
                  Tough situation. Just have to take it one day at a time.
                  Yesterday, 04:55 PM
                Working...
                X