Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello All-new scroller with question.

Hi Everyone,

Great forums you have here, tons of great information and friendly people. Seems to be the only serious forums on the subject that I can find. Anyways, I did scrolling in High School but that was 10+ years ago. I remember some of the basics and want to get back into it. I've been researching saws and it seems I have widdled it down to the 1800 dremel with take off and the Delta SS350LS.

I searched the forums and found a few posts asking about these two but most of the posts went straight to get the Dewalt...that's currently not an option for me and so I ask which of the two above to get...which has less vibaration? To me it would seem the Delta would have less based soley on the fact that it weighs twice as much as the Dremel. I just read a post where JT had said he recommended the SS350 to his brother? cousin? someone and that it was a nice little saw...I have no NEED for the take off on the dremel although I do see where it could be very useful. I am interested in doing some fine fretwork and maybe some small boxes/jigsaw puzzles mainly using 1/4" birch plywood..again, new to it all again so my wood choice is based on what I found locally.

My mother who has done cabinet making etc tells me I should get a hand held orbital jig saw as it offers more control?..but I can't see making the tight near 0 turns with one of those as well as the fact that I'd have to clamp everything down etc...any help/info at all is appreciated..and just so we get this out of the way now..my next saw will be the P20 or Dewalt 788!

PS. JT, nice name, couldn't resist..sorry, although I am a Joe and not a John

There are several downsides the hand held jig saw, but the single biggest is that the blade has to be rigid enough so it will work clamped at just one end. You will use blades smaller than that for fine fretwork. Also, for fine stuff you want a zero clearance plate under it so that the workpiece is fully supported.

I did not choose between the saws you are looking at, but I definitely found weight to be a major factor and I did buy a fairly heavy one. I found that a cast iron table and base seem to help a lot.
    -Andy

Comment

A jigsaw would be too cumbersome for the fine work that scrollers produce. Moreover, it costs a lot to purchase a jigsaw that cuts perfectly true in the the vertical plane. You'd also have problems with tearout on the underside of your work if you used a jigsaw - this is greatly reduced on scrollsaws.

I don't know much about the particular saw models you're considering, but Delta saws do seem to have good international reputations.

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

thanks for the help so far! I too tend to be leaning towards the Delta. I don't know why, probably because I've known Delta for tools like this for longer than Dremel. That and I figure the extra weight will be of great help. Please keep the reasons NOT to use a orbital jig saw coming in so I can pass them on. I just couldn't see using one of them for the type of fine work I want to eventually achieve. I also assume they would have had us using one of them vs. the scroll saw back in high school had it been the appropriate tool for the job.

Comment

I have a long lasting love affair for Delta.
          I won't knock the Dremel because I haven't used that model.

I love the Delta for ease of blade changes when doing fretwork.
          I like the insert in the table of the Delta. I don't have any issues with vibration as long as the machine is maintained.

There is one downside to the Delta. the bellows on the dust blower fails prematurely. It is not an expensive part and easy to change, but it fails.
          You can always use an aquarium pump instead.
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianScroller
            I have a long lasting love affair for Delta.
            I won't knock the Dremel because I haven't used that model.

I love the Delta for ease of blade changes when doing fretwork.
            I like the insert in the table of the Delta. I don't have any issues with vibration as long as the machine is maintained.

There is one downside to the Delta. the bellows on the dust blower fails prematurely. It is not an expensive part and easy to change, but it fails.
            You can always use an aquarium pump instead.
            What is all this talk of blowers and bellows..back in MY day we had none of these..we were taught to repeatedly blow the sawdust away lol...and holy cow..you can sit while scrolling?! I remember while in school doing scrollwork praying for a sit down stand to save my back. I honestly didn't think it was safe to do even now until I saw some of the discussions here and the stands for some of the newer saws.

Comment

This is my favorite scroll stand so far

http://www.ableworkshop.com/powertool4.htm

Comment

Well shuckey dern JT I have my scroll saw bolted to a heavy end table and I roll my wheelchair right up and have the space between the legs of the table to put my feet under and I scroll away- so yes you can sit and scroll - they didn't you kids sit at power tools because until you are old enough to think safety first --well just a guess anyway..
                Sharon

I think most of us "older" scrollers sit and scroll anyway

Comment

Magpie-- Thanks for the link -- I didn't know there was such a place for us like me . I am going to bookmark to further check it out-- Thanks again.
                  Sharon

Comment

Magpie, thank you for the link. My husband and I have been trying to design a new stand that work better for me. This looks like the perfect answer.
                    Reta

Comment

It still amazes me that some folks stand while using the scroll saw. I'm not in a wheelchair, but I always sit when using the scroll saw. Yes, I am older than dirt and, I suppose, lazy, but I can't see how you stand with one foot on the foot switch (maybe you don't use a foot switch?) and do a little dance while sawing. It is much easier for me to sit (the stool bears my weight) while using the foot switch with my right foot while tapping my left toe to Willie Nelson/Waylon Jennings. I would be "worn to a frazzle" if I tried to stand all the time when using my saw. Besides that, if I stood all the time I would have to bend over like some sort of stork to see what I was doing. Growing old is only for the strong with a sense of humor.
                      Moon
                      Old Mooner

Comment

Moon,
                        I'm the exact opposite...I can't sit down and scroll. I'm constantly standing up to get a better look at what I'm scrolling, so i just end up kicking the stool out of my way. i don't use a foot switch; since I stand up, it's just too uncomfortable...

Perhaps it's my age; I still have trouble standing still for any length of time <grin>

Bob
                        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Moon,

I too sit while scrolling. I'm now looking for a new stool... or a stool seat pad that is softer and more accommodating for a sore rump. Putting 4-5 hour stretch at the saw gets to be... shall I say, numbing.

Comment

I am fortunate that my saw, bench and stool are just right for me to alternate between standing and sitting.

One thing I guess we should remember, if we are scrolling to the point of fatigue, get away from the saw for a few minutes. I know it is hard sometimes when we are immersed in a project.

When I cut the vase of roses in my gallery I did it in two 4 hour sessions.
                            I knew it was time for a break when I cut a line too close to another in the middle of the project. It could have been a four hour firewood project.
                            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Yeah BobD, it probably is your age. As I used to remind my students, "I have socks older than you". No offense. Everybody is young and vigorous once. Enjoy it. I had my "salad days" and they were doozers.
                              Grizz, believe it or not, I use an adjustable bar stool that I purchased from a catalog. It slants a little toward the front and allows your legs to be at a downward angle rather than the 90 degrees on a regular stool. I like the control that a foot switch gives me. I don't like to be reaching around for mounted switches while trying to control my sawing. I'm not that coordinated. Still and all, like someone said, I have to get up and move around after awhile. Fatigue can really mess up a good project.
                              Moon
                              Old Mooner

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X