airborne dust collector for hobby scroller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airborne dust collector for hobby scroller

I´m a newbie at scrolling. Now, my scroll saw has a dust port that takes the dust that comes down there, but the amount of dust accumulating on the work table and getting in the air is quite big too.

Does anybody know of a commercially available airborne dust collector, a portable one that I could place on a table right behind the scroll saw and get the airborne dust sucked away from me and into the filters instead?

I live in Europe, so maybe my only option is to get suitable filters and then construct my own dust collector. Where should I look for suitable filters, the airborne particles are pretty small I believe.

Best regards, Ken

There are lots of plans for making your own out there.
    here are some links.
    http://justwoodworking.com/links/dust.php
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/3jdw8/dustc...collection.htm
    http://www.copycarver.com/Dust_collector.htm

I built one from a surplus blower and a bucket. You could just as easily use a bathroom exhaust fan.

The dust is drawn down the drier vent hose to the bucket.
    A filter is placed between the bucket and the fan intake.
    The filter is a fiber filter from air ducting, the kind used in forced air heating systems.
    Attached Files
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Airborne dust collector

I use a Shop Vac airborne dust collector in my shop. It does an excellent job and runs pretty quiet. It cost about $120 (U.S.) when I bought it about 3 years ago. In the U.S. it's carried by Woodcraft (best price) and Seyco.

Dan

Comment

Just keep in mind that a dust collector (DC) and air cleaner (AC) are two entirely different animals. You use a DC while the dust is being produced to get the bullk of it right at the point it's being produced. An AC is run for a long period to cycle all the air through it and gets out the fine dust that is suspended in the air. Another way to look at it is that a DC mostly gets dust you can see (some of the really good ones get some you can't also) and an AC gets a lot of dust you can't see. The stuff you can't see is the really unhealthy stuff. HEPA rated filters (is that a worldwide standard?) are good.
        -Andy

Comment

Dust Collector vs. Air Cleaner

Thanks for the distinction. The Shop Vac I described is more like an air cleaner than a dust collector. In any case, it's an excellent tool.

Dan

Comment

Yes it is - I have one also. I use my "regular" shop vac with a good filter for DC. Another really useful thing to look at is the auto power switch at Sears. It's about $20 US. You plug a tool into it and your vacuum or other DC into another outlet on it and leave the vacuum's power switch turned on. Whenever the tool draws power it will power up the vacuum also. I have the PC Mag circular saw with a vacuum attachment, router and a a couple of sanders that all have vacuum attachments. Having to turn the vacuum off and on seprately is a pain, which means it's less likely to get done consistently.
            -Andy

Comment

This is the shop vac You can get these anywhere for $99. Something of this nature is all that is need when scrolling. Some use box fans which may work also. Now everyone has there thing about dust and collecting it. With a scrollsaw it is very hard to collect the large particles and to have a shop vac whining next to you as your scrolling in my opinion is not worth it. This is suppose to be a relaxing hobby. There are methods to muffle it but not worth the effort. You do not generate alot of dust in one sitting. What I do after scrolling for the day just use the shop vac to clean up the mess under the table. Now I have this but also a room air cleaner which is just a larger one of these basically. The fine particles of dust is the ones that you want to avoid. Wear a good dust mask when scrolling and you will be fine. The tools to be concerned about dust are sanders of any sort, tablesaws and bandsaws. Those need dust collectors not a scrollsaw in my humble opinion.
              John T.

Comment

That is the unit I have for AC. I agree about the scroll saw also. I don't run the vac constantly while sawing. I mentioned the vac and switch as I use it with the other tools and assume others are using some of the other dustier tools as well. I do try to remember to turn on the AC and wear my mask when cutting. DC on the scroll saw has proved far less than effective for me. Carl's design is pretty insteresting though. It seems like a hybrid between AC and DC.

Speaking of quiet hobby cutting, I just bought plans for a foot powered scroll saw. It's a "one of these days" thing I have in the back of my mind; it would be good for historical craft fairs.
                -Andy

Comment

Another of My thought up solutions I use.

I am beginning to think I afflicted using home made stuff for my tools --but they work-,,, I have a
                  1 gallon zip lock bag taped underneath the saw hole in the open slot..under where the blade holder is.. I have the bag upside down so I can remove the dust without taking the bag off. I used carpet tape to attach to the underside of my saw ( I took the side cover off ) on the side that has the dust hole I have a piece of flexable plastic hose that goes down into my scrap box. I don'thave a lot of dust flying around this way and the excess sawdust inside my saw is vertually gone into a bag for proper dumping. On the top of my table I have a large piece of brown board with a smaller hole ( just enough to allow the dusat to fall through. The table has a small cardboard box that is taped to the top and to the side of my work table.. this is for the cut out pieces that wont fit through the hole - I just swipe them into the box and empty with my shop vac when need, In that waste box I hav a 3/4 inch piece of pvc pipe and cap I have cut a + across the top of the cap and a 1/2 inch dowel through that for a grip handle- this I use to loosen and tighten my blades since my finger strenth is that of a poor church mouse.
                  This all sounds funny but it sure works good and the price of these precious tools of mine are just the time it took for me to make and think up--
                  I hope some of you can use these suggestions to help out making a fun hobby more funner --

Sharon
                  Last edited by SharonW0111; 01-12-2006, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Sharon, you're my kind of person. The heck with how it looks. Is it functional. I've got to see if the plastic bag trick will work on the Dewalt.

I've seen either on here or another site where someone used 3 or 4" PVC tubing with elbows and a tee to set up dust collection above and below a scroll saw. It looked like it would be pretty effective except the shop vac noise would make you wear sound deadening earmuffs. I've been thinking about giving this a try. If I do this, I'm going to hook up a electric strip on my foot switch so the vac would go off and on with the scroll saw.

Recently, I traded someone a Direcway broadband INTERNET system I wasn't using for a dust collector that uses 220v. The only problem is I keep thinking this may be a bit of overkill, not to mention the noise that big boy will make.

Harris

Comment

harris - I hear ya on the noise - I have a 2 callon shop vac that fits that hole real good but the noise -- na I'll use my rubber hose..lol -- be sure and let me know how you do on the bag --Sharon

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                        Reply to New tools
                        by Quartz43
                        I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
                        Today, 03:40 PM
                      • hotshot
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by hotshot
                        You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
                        Today, 02:27 PM
                      • RJweb
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by RJweb
                        I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
                        Today, 01:31 PM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Shrink wrap systems
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                        Today, 11:51 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Sundays market
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                        Today, 11:39 AM
                      Working...
                      X