Blue tape vs. Packing tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue tape vs. Packing tape

I've seen the blue painters tape recommeneded as a trick to reduce burn on wood. I've used some plain clear packing tape and haven't had any burn yet that I can think of but I haven't cut anything hard with it. I apply my pattern with spray adhesive then put the clear tape over it. I saw the blue tape and noticed that it is a solid blue tape and not transparent like the packing. Obviously I'd put the tape directly to the wood then spray adhesive my pattern onto the blue since its not transparent. My question is does the blue tape protect against burn better than the packing? Does it come off the wood easier than the sprayed on pattern? Does the blue tape leave a sticky residue like the spray does at times? It says something about easy removal for 14 days. Just wondering if I should up grade. Now that I think about it applying the tape first then the pattern would make it alot easier to remove and eliminate the need for mineral spirits and a razor blade. Sometimes you find an answer to an unrelated question just by asking a question. Huh,imagine that?
    Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
    Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

I don't know if the blue tape works as well as packing tape for lubricity. I use both. I put blue tape directly on the wood and spray both it and the pattern with spray adhesive and put the packing tape over the top. I figure why risk burning, tape's a heck of a lot cheaper than my time. I like the blue clean-release tape as it comes right off with no residue.

Kevin
    Kevin
    Scrollsaw Patterns Online
    Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I agree 100% with Kevin. I have been doing that since way back when I made my Dome clock.
      2" wide Masking tape on the wood first. I only spray the back of the pattern (not the patten and the masking tape) , then apply pattern, then I put the clear packaging tape on top. For me it is worth the the extra minute or so to do it as well as the price of the tapes.
      Only difference is that I use the light purple painters masking tape that has the easiest release factor of all the masking tapes and it leaves zero residue on the wood and it all peels off very easily. . That one is a little harder to find and costs a little more but because it is a little thinner, it goes a long way so the extra price is well compensated for.
      If I cant find the light purple one , I will try some of the blue and I feel it will work just as good.
      I just finished stack sawing out all the parts for two big Worthington Hall clocks with just three blades so the savings in the blades offsets the price of the tape to say nothing of the burning it prevents.
      W.Y.
      http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

That release factor hadn't hit me. I'll head on out and buy some blue tape soon.

I'd been using packing tape wrapped completely around, spray adhesive the pattern place on wood, then tape over the pattern.

I've had to rub off the residue. So I think the painter tape will be a new necessity.
        Sawdust King

If there is one thing I can make perfect every time it is sawdust.

Comment

Hey William...thanks for the purple tape tip. I didn't realize it released easier than the blue but I have seen it. The reason I spray both pattern and tape is that I buy the cheap Duro spray, and it holds quite well if I spray both, but I've had all kinds of lifting issues when just spraying the pattern.

Kevin
          Kevin

Comment

Kevin;
            I'm always willing to help if I can. And thank you also about spraying both sides . I am going to try that. I was just applying a liberal coat on the pattern itself. We all learn something every day. I have used the Duro spray for years now. I generally pick up several cans when I go to the good old USA because they don't sell it in Canada. Or at least I have never found any here. I tried most every other brand and the Duro always gave me best results regardless of cost.
            W.Y.

Comment

I've never thought about the double taping idea until now. It can be so aggravating and time consuming getting the spray residue off the wood from the pattern. The pattern comes off easy enough with a little mineral spirits rub on but the residue still sticks at times. You gotta rub and rub some more just for the glue and your fingerprints on the glue. I was a little leary about putting tape onto the wood first and then the pattern but not now after I see that the tape is made to come off easy. I guess thats why they call it painters tape. Putting packing tape on top of the pattern makes sense to because it gives added protection and dust comes off the tape easier than it does the paper. I'm gonna go give it a try today.
              Also, I picked up the "Blue" tape at "SLOWES" and I did see some different colored tape which I think was purple and I thought it was just a different manufactuer. Is there really a difference between the blue and purple? Is the color difference an industry standard thing? I'm gonna give the blue a test ride and if ya'll say there is a better difference I might try the purple too.

Comment

Yes, I beleive the color coding is an industry standard for degress of tackiness in the tape to make it not only easier release from the regular white one up to the purple one but for the length of time it can stay on and still release easily. Try putting white maskiing tape on and try to get it off in a week. I think it would be difficult and leave lots of residue. It would be much more difficult.
                I will be in the city today and get some blue tape for a comparison with purple but I doubt if there would be a very big difference for what we are using it for.
                My findings are not to be construed as gospel. It is just my belief on this at this point and time until I hear something more concrete.
                But using tape is a whole lot better than other methods I have used like blow dryer and mineral spirits etc which I never use anymore.
                W.Y.

Comment

At the risk of sounding stupid I must ask. What happens after the alotted 14 days? Does it get impossible to get off? Leave alot of residue? Pull the grain up or out? What happens? I used some today doing the blue,pattern, clear routine and boy was it nice. Cut on some 1/4" so don't know how good it helped cut the burn out but everything sure did come off nice and I didn't even have to break out the spirits. I didn't have as much "pattern peel up" as I call either. That where the pattern and tape start coming up when ya' get close to completing a cut.

Comment

Kevin,

You mentioned that you had some problem with Duro spray adhesive. I have been useing it for at leaset two years, and like it very well. At first I had trouble with lifting then I changed the application method.

Shake Can - Spray a light even coat to the paper, and give it at least 30 seconds to flash off. Apply another light even coat to the paper, and after 30 seconds stick it to the wood. DO NOT Stick it on before the 30 second wait, or it will give you trouble when removing.

Hope it will help you.
                    Blade Man AKA Ben Fink
                    Pégas Scroll Saw Blades

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Weasel
                      What happens after the alotted 14 days?
                      Having left something wrapped too long, I can report that it gets very hard to take off without tearing -- I had to sort of chip it off with my fingernails bit by bit.

I use the blue tape all the time. One problem I have frequently is that when working with plywood, the tape pulls off little chips of the top veneer, especially where there is a narrow short grain segment. I usually use sacrificial layers of cheap Italian Poplar ply when stacking plywood. I guess I'll try the less-tacky purple tape.

Comment

I was in the city yesterday and being the curious person that I am , I looked into the the differences in the colors of masking tapes.
                        Purple is 30 day perfect release
                        Blue is 14 day Clean release
                        Green is seven day release but sidn't mention if it was a clean release or not

So I will probably try blue next time .I would have bought some there but they only had up to 1.5" rolls and I always use the 2" rolls and have to get them across the border in USA.

Blademan,
                        you are so right about shaking the can as per instructions on the can. I have found that some that didn't like the Duro spray did not read those instructions.
                        By using the masking tape on the wood , I just spray a wet coat of Duro on the back of the pattern and slap it right on top of the tape and press everything down and rubbing with a folded up rag causing friction heat for a good bond. After sawing the whole thing peels off very easily .

Capt Weasel;
                        I can't imagine anyone leaving it on for more than 14 or 30 days . I usually prepare the piece and saw it out and remove the pattern all within ten minutes or an hour or so depending on the complexity of the pattern.
                        I would imagine that if it was left on for longer periods than what it is intended for , it could be removed with either a hair dryer or mineral spirits but I don't know if any residue would be left behind.
                        W.Y.

Comment

When I used the blue the other day on a 1/4' oak craft board I noticed that it did pull up a few fibers but it wasn't anything major or something that couldn't be sanded back down. In reference to the time I to try to avoid taking that long on something but I started a complex pattern yesterday by drilling 100 of 300 holes. After I got to work I picked up 3 orders for a celtic cross I designed and a lettering job not to mention a plaque that the pattern hasn't shown up yet for. I'm a paramedic and work 24 hr. shifts so sometimes I only have a few hours to work in the afternoons before I run outta gas. I started a dragon for my wife that took me 3 whole days to do before and it was out of 1/8" ply and hers I'm gonna do it right by using 3/8" oak and taking my time. I think the dragon was the first thing I ever did so I'm anxious to see how my skills have progressed. Anyway, I was just wondering about the time thinking I might could work the dragon a bit then a cross and back to dragon. I might come out better doing it from start to finish then be done with it so I won't have to fight with the tape to get it off.

Comment

Hmm, makes me wonder Ben. Seems I more or less do the same as you except that it's once on the paper and once on the tape. I think we get the same effect just in my case it was unintentionally. I've been plenty satisfied with the Duro adhesive once I started double spraying (lack of a better term).

Kevin
                            Kevin

Comment

Captain W,
                              I've left some projects taped with the purple tape for about twice the advertised time (pneumonia and crummy memory), and it got a little brittle, but came off almost as cleanly as that used within the time limit. Mine didn't tear the wood, but I wasn't using anything very thin or brittle. I threatened to use mineral spirits, but it all came off (strong short fingernails), and a tiny bit of sanding assured me that it was all off. Probably the sanding was redundant, but sometimes...
                              Sandy
                              PS Don't try that with regular tan masking tape - what a mess!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X