? about scrolling a portrait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about scrolling a portrait

What blade size and wood thickness do you guys use or recommend to scroll portraits? I have a portrait of my son I would like to scroll.
    Thank you for your suggestions.

Brian

Well I can say alot of portrait people like to use spiral blades. Being I do not do portraits I can only give you what I have read. 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood and use whatever blade is confortable to use. No bigger than a #5. A portrait is like any other piece there is no set rules for blade size, wood size, or how and if you frame it. Wish I could be more help to you.
    John T.

Comment

John pretty much answered it. While there are few "experts" who claim you have to use spirals to cut a portrait, this is just BS. Use whatever type blades you're comfortable with. You can cut it out of any wood you like. For my business, I typically use 1/8" BB and #3 FD-SR blades, note that I cut these though in stacks of 5 or 6. You can cut a portrait out of anything you like. I've cut them in 3/4" hardwoods (you can use a nice slab and get a wonderful look to the cutting), 1/2" woods, 1/4" woods.
      For the Portrait Freedom project, all portraits are cut in 1/4" BB or Oak ply.

Kevin
      Kevin
      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

brians, I have cut several portraits and many scenic pictures. I use 1/8" Finnish birch with 1/8" luan plywood as a backer. I use a 2/0 28 t.p.i. blade. Very seldom do I stack cut. I would suggest you try different blades until you find the one that works best for you. Mick
        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Thank you all for your help and suggestions .
          I am gonna give it a shot.
          Brian

Comment

One other question
            I have some small areas to cut. The 1/16 drill bit may be too big, could some one suggest other way to start a pilot hole for the blade. I was thinking something like a pushpin, but I am not sure, or I could incorporate the drill hole into the cutout area so you could no longer see it.
            Thanks for helping the new guy.

Brian

Comment

You can get the small numbered bits here
              http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/drill_bits.htm
              As well as the pin chuck to fit in your drill press for the very tiny ones.
              Fred

Comment

You can also get them from Mike at www.mikesworkshop.com your one stop shopping for scrollsaw needs. You can try to cut the head off a neele and give it a go.
                John T.

Comment

? about scrolling a potrait

Brian, if you are in a hurry for the bits many hobby shops, especially those that sell model trains, carry the numbered bits. Merry Christmas....Scott
                  Scott
                  Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                    Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                    by will8989
                    Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                    Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                    by will8989
                    Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                    Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by will8989
                    He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                    Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Sundays market
                    by will8989
                    We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                    Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                  Working...
                  X