new to scrolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to scrolling

Hi everyone. Looks like I have found a great site here. I have recently bought my self a scrollsaw and just starting out. Not a lot of scrollers in Australia so. There are a few clubs around but not close by. My first question on here. What is the best way to maintain my table top. Can I use a normal cut and polish car wax or should I use a fine oil?
    Thanks
    linda

Welcome Linda,
    This is indeed a great and informative site.
    I use paste wax for wood to maintain my scroll
    saw table top, I am sure you will get more comments
    from others who have more scrolling experience.
    Happy Scrolling and Welcome.
    Bill
    Delta P-20

Comment

I use what is known here in the states as Johnsons Paste Wax.Its a NON-silicone wax. You dont want silicone,as it sure can mess up a finish,and dont use an oil,as it will screw up a finish as well as remail wet,and the dust will stick to it like crazy. Welcome to the forum,theres lots of useful info in the thick sculls of us here,and we all pretty much crack it open to help however we can. There are a couple Aussies on here,possibly enough to get together and throw a good scrollsaw picnic or somthing.Dale
      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

You have been given the correct advise. Do not and I repeat do not use car wax or any wax that has silicon in it. A nice butchers wax is what I use but you can use Minwax floor wax also. Do not use polishes because they contain silicons in it. You also do not want the oil thing for the stated reasons. Welcome to the site and we are very friendly here and will give you the best answers or give you a place where you can find them for sure. So sit back relax look around and when the need comes up fire away.
        John T.

Comment

Teflon

Just a note here for those lucky enough to have a new RYOBI
          The table is teflon coated and the wood slide so nice and smooth on it.
          I do have to put some wax on my other saws though
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

waxing table top

Hi Linda,
            Welcome, Its great to have another aussie in here. I use a product called turtle wax. This is a light car polish. I am not sure about the silicone content. I don't seem to have any problems with it though.
            Hope this helps.
            kerrie

Comment

Turtle wax is a car polish that has silicones in it. These can contaminate bare wood and it's really advisable to use a silicone-free polish.

Perhaps it might be worth sending an email to Gilly Stephenson and asking if she has a suitable product.

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I am sorry to say but Turtle wax or any car polish or wax is not a good top coat for the table only because what happens is the silicons or sterate waxes contaminate the wood and if not completely sanded off they will have an ill effect on the finish. Not so much with BLO but when using polys or lacquers will it show up. You have been lucky in that you may have been sanding it off if it did get in the grain. Such woods as oak have course grains so it is more suseptable
                John T.

Comment

turtle wax

ahhh ok, thanks everyone. I didnt realize I was doing the wrong thing here. Wouldnt mind some more information on this subject. You say the silicone gets into the grain. what does it do? And what is my alternative? Luckyscroller mentioned johnsons paste wax. I havnt heard of this here. Any other suggestons On what might be available. Thanks for your help everyone.
                  kerrie

Comment

You ask what or why the use of car wax or any wax with silicon in it is bad. The answer is it has a negaative effect on the finish applied. As I stated in the above posting you will get away with it in oils such as Danish oil or BLO because this soaks into the wood. Now if you were to put a top coat on such as poly or lacquer the silicon built up on the piece will prevent good adhesion thus leading to pealing or if you are spraying it leads to fisheye, or orange peeling. So to be safe do not use it. Use something like Minwax, or Butchers wax that is made for wood. Just read the can and the ingrediants. Not sure what brands are available to you but you will have wood wax there. That is wax not polish 2 different things.
                    John T.

Comment

wax for table

Originally posted by jttheclockman
                      You ask what or why the use of car wax or any wax with silicon in it is bad. The answer is it has a negaative effect on the finish applied. As I stated in the above posting you will get away with it in oils such as Danish oil or BLO because this soaks into the wood. Now if you were to put a top coat on such as poly or lacquer the silicon built up on the piece will prevent good adhesion thus leading to pealing or if you are spraying it leads to fisheye, or orange peeling. So to be safe do not use it. Use something like Minwax, or Butchers wax that is made for wood. Just read the can and the ingrediants. Not sure what brands are available to you but you will have wood wax there. That is wax not polish 2 different things.
                      ok thanks for this info. I appreciate it. I will have a look around and see what is available.

Comment

Jeez. I am so glad I found this place. There's no end to what I don't know. LOL. Why do you use wax on the table?

Comment

Why do you use wax on the table?
                          I do it for the same reason I put wax on the kitchen floor, to watch the cat race through the kitchen and slide into the wall! When he jumps on the saw table, he slides right off!
                          Seriously, it protects the surface and lets the wood slide easier. Beginners might want to wait until they have learned how to control the wood before waxing the table.
                          Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

I have a saw table that is cast aluminum, so it is not subject to rust, but it gets tiny scratches and such just from ordinary use. I just use a crumpled piece of waxed paper - rub it vigorously all over the table, and - voila! - smooth enough to let everything slide easily, but not so slick anything slides off unless that is what I'm after.
                            Come to think of it, might be worth really waxing it up to give the cat a new thrill, though.
                            Then again, maybe not.
                            Sandy

Comment

See what you can learn here. Yes the use of wax on the table is to help the wood spin easier when turning. Sandy brings up a good point about the use of wax paper to just put a coat on to help with the spinning and yet does not let it get away from you if you are a begginer. Lets face it when you are a begginer you have so many things going through your head, watching the line, not pushing too hard, not pushing sidewards, knowing where my hands have to go and such so not having to worry about the wood sliding or not sliding, the wax paper trick may be the ticket for you. As far as Woodbutcher goes I would tape this incidents and send them into Funniest Home Videos. That would be a hoot to see.
                              John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by meflick
                                got mine in the mail today. Thanks.Cute and befitting. Now I need to know how it’s made/what it’s made from. (On everyone gets theirs of course.)...
                                Today, 08:21 PM
                              • Jo Labre
                                Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
                                by Jo Labre
                                At the time I thought "Ah, spit!" (or words like that) and just threw the blade in the garbage. It was the #5 size blade. I suspect it would cost more to have it done than the cost of a new blade. The owners manual is not very helpful, the wording is awkward, having been 'translated' into...
                                Today, 11:13 AM
                              • hotshot
                                by hotshot
                                The brazing process doesn't look too bad. I have seen the welders built into the industrial bandsaws, so out of curiosity, I looked that up and that process is pretty cool to watch also, though trying that on something this small would probably light the whole thing up....
                                Today, 10:14 AM
                              • Rolf
                                by Rolf
                                Jo, I did a bit of research on the web, and there are lots of videos of people silver soldering broken blades. In hindsight I remember I had made a jig eons ago to do just that, when I still had a small Craftsman bench top three wheeler....
                                Today, 09:32 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by Rolf
                                I haven't even decided what to make!
                                Today, 09:27 AM
                              Working...
                              X