Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting with an used saw, which of these two are better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting with an used saw, which of these two are better?

Due to limited finances, I will be buying an used saw from ebay in order to start scroll sawing. I am looking at either a DELTA 40-540 or a Dremel 1680. WHich of these would be better for a beginner? My goals are to start with wooden letters, and then work my way on to wooden puzzles and intarsia. Since my ONLY piece of woodworking equipment will be the scroll saw and my husband's table saw to start with... the latter two will have to wait until I can save up for more tools.

Any advice appreciated.

I used the Delta saw for a good 8 years with minimum problems.
    I did send it in for servicing a couple of times, I should have maintained it better, Things do run better when oiled

The saw is still in use, I lent it to a friend to get him started. The blade clamps are a great asset on that saw.
    The Delta has an insert on the table which can be replaced with a zero clearance insert. This will allow you to make finer cuts.
    The Dremel has a slot cut in the table. You need to make an auxiliary table for that saw to make finer cuts. You can always put a piece of cardboard over the slot too.
    The Delta has its on off switch and speed controls under the table. The Dremel has its controls on top, a better location.

The Delta has its tension control on the front of the saw, the Dremel on the back.

Given the choice between the two saws, if they are the same price range, I would chose the Delta. That is just a personal preference, it has served me well in the past.

PS> welcome aboard!
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

aandd,
      Welcome to the group! You will find lots of folks with similar interests, and we're all eager to get you started.
      I bought the Dremel 1680 as my first saw. I would definitely go with the Delta. The dremel was awfully vibration-prone, and it was not the easiest to change blades. That said, ANY scroll saw is better than none - I gave mine away when I got a delta, and it is still serving well for the person who got it. I also gave away the delta when I got an RBI. There is a waiting list a mile long to get that baby when I upgrade (or die!).
      As to waiting 'til you get more tools before you do puzzles and intarsia - you probably can get by with just a scroll saw and sandpaper - maybe a cheaper rotary tool (like a dremel or one of the many clones) would help with the sanding/shaping. Go for it!!
      Sandy

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I bought the Delta.... $50.00 shipped. Yay me! Now - where can I read up on blades at? LOL.

Comment

If you need blades go to Mike's Workshop.
          If you need help email Mike he is great to work with.

Bob

http://mikesworkshop.com/
          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

What a bargain!
            Like Greenfield_Bob said Mike is our blade guru.
            You can do a search for blades on the forum and find out many tips there too.

PS we can't wait to see some of your work! not that we are rushing you

Originally posted by aandd
            Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I bought the Delta.... $50.00 shipped. Yay me! Now - where can I read up on blades at? LOL.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X