Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewalt DW788

Hi guys.....Supertaz strikes again !!

the deal on the Delta did not worked.....I found a new Dewalt DW788 that may have a good deal on it......

Any words on it ? What should be the max $ to be paid for it ?

Thanks again,
    Supertaz
    I'm a french canadian newbie ....please be patient

Supertaz-

Oue, I had a Delta SS250 and now I have a DeWalt 788. It's 10 times better than the Delta and I'm sure there are better saws out there, but for the money it is very good. If you do get the DeWalt get also the stand I did and glad because it is a big saw and would not have fit on by workbench very well. I got the easy lift for it as well.

About how much you should pay. I have no idea how much they are in Canada, but here in the US it runs aorund $400 but you can get them for less on-line. I got mine on Ubid for just over $300.

I hope this helps some.

-Bill
    Last edited by wwalker47; 11-16-2005, 02:22 PM.
    -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

When I got mine almost 2 years ago on Amazon, they were $399.00 with a suggested retail of $960.00. That was with the stand and light. The last time I looked, they were betwen $450.00 and $500.00 for the same setup.
      Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

At the travelling manufacturers' woodworking shows (they come to the Chicago area twice each year), the DeWalt folks offer the 788 with light and stand for $429. I don't know about Canada either, but you should be able to get a little better converted price than that over the intertnet. Just enter "DeWalt Scroll Saw" into Google.

Have phun...

Carter

Comment

You cant go wrong with a dewalt! try getting one from toolking ,they sell a refur dewalt,with the waranty as if a new one,and most are new saws anyways.If not,you should be able to pick one up,complete with a stand for it new for under $450 . It will be money well spent!
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

hay taz I got mine from homehardware $620
            http://www.picturetrail.com/uid3726744

Comment

I got Woodcraft flier the other day, Saw, Stand and light $450.00 after $50.00 rebate.
              Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

The Dewalt saw is still one of the best mid range priced saws on the market today. Even though they are no longer made in Canada the reputation preceeds them. This is the saw I try to get begginers to look at right from the get go. Very easy to use. Very adaptable for add-ons, Quiet, smooth running and blade changing is very easy. These are the main things to look for in a scrollsaw. I am not going to get into other starter saws because they have their place but for the money and aggrevation you will not be disappointed. Good luck with your search and $400 is the going price.
                John T.

Comment

Delta Q3

Strike 2....

somebody was faster or offer more than me on the deal.....
                  So no more Dewalt for now......

Another ad shows a Delta Q3 with graphite arm to reduce vibration.

Anyone has experience with it ?

Comment

Supertaz, check out www.scrollsaws.com before buying the Delta Q3. Seems to me that I read that the Q3 is a very aggressive saw. Delta discontinued this saw I believe. The P-20 replaced it which sells for around $489. US. Mick.
                    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Supertaz,
                      Do Not buy the Q-3. It is a C arm with a lot of front to back movent. That is why it is so aggressive. Cutting 1/2" to 3/4" thick wood or stack cutting, the bottom never looks like the top.
                      I had one for a few years.
                      Mike M
                      SD Mike

Comment

I have a P-20 and a Q3. I use the P-20 most of the time but I still use the Q3 on thin wood and will use it until it falls apart. You can still get some of the parts for the Q3 but not all of them. The only way I would buy one is if they were just about giving it away. The P-20 is a much better saw.

Bob
                        Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Q3

To me the Q3 is the best saw ever made. I do 90% of my cutting on the Q3. I have designed and made 6 wood gear clocks, done thousands of stack cut ornaments, cut 64 peice puzzles in a 1" X 1" size and many many other projects. It will do anything any of the the other saws will do.
                          The comments I hear on it will not stack cut and not cut thick wood I have never found to be true once you set the table to the blade like you have to do on any saw.
                          Most of the bad comments about the C arm saws are from people who never learned to set them and use them right. When I was cutting crafts for profit, the C arm would cut about 40% faster than the other types of saws.
                          I have 3 of the newer style Q3 and 2 of the older style, so I hope they will last me the rest of my scrolling life. I also have many other major brands of saws: Dewalt, Hegner, RBI, Excalibar, Eclipse, and over 170 antique saws. So I do have a big selection of what I can use to cut on, but still use the Q3.
                          Rick Hutcheson
                          http://www.scrollsaws.com

Comment

Rick,

The question was: "Another ad shows a Delta Q3 with graphite arm to reduce vibration".
                            I don't mind that you disagree with me how good or bad the Q-3 is but I think he was looking if he sould buy it.
                            The saw and parts are not made anymore. Would you recommend that he should buy the Q-3 anyway?

I still tell him not to buy it. If any thing goes wrong, he has a saw what he can not use anymore.

Mike M
                            SD Mike

Comment

I agree with 3_M ...If it's an obsolete saw, I'd prefer not to buy it.

I appreciate your valuable comments !

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by KarlB
                                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                                by KarlB
                                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X