Stack Cutting.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stack Cutting.....

I am wanting to make some Christmas ornaments and want to try my hand at stack cutting them. I am going to be using 1/4 x 4" red oak and poplar.

Looking for some tips from the more experienced.

Thanks in advance,
    Bill
    Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Bill,
    I stack cut my first ornaments a few days ago.
    I put together 3 1/4'' pieces of Poplar,I wrapped
    the wood with Blue painters tape and then glued the
    pattern to the tape. I drilled my starter holes ,cut out the pattern
    pulled off the pattern and tape when I finished and the tape left
    no sticky glue residue. This is the method I use but there are different
    methods which are just as good. This is the method I'm comfortable with.
    Good Luck,
    Bill
    Delta P-20

Comment

stack cutting

Hey ozarkhillbilly-

Make sure your saw table is level and 90 degrees to your blade. This is so all your inside cuts Will come out smoothly and will not bind. Also start with a new sharp blade. If you do have sticky residue on your wood you can use paint thinner or mineral spirits to clean the wood with out rising the grain.

Have fun and make sawdust.

-Bill
      -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

With those 2 types of wood, I would suggest having only one species per stack. The oak is a lot harder than the poplar, and will cut differently.
        I stack my layers together, then use my hot glue gun to run a line of glue around the outside edges. Everyone has their own preferences on how to hold the wood together - try them all and see which you prefer!

T
        Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

I've tried many different ways of holding the stack together...

My favorite is to use Thick CA glue on the sides of the stack (in the waste area) – just 4 beads of CA (one at each corner) about 1/4" wide, a quick shot of accelerator and you are ready to go...

Comment

Thanks all for the replies, Since I've got many ornaments to cut I should be able to give all a try.

From reading some other threads I've come to the conclusion the one thing I want to avoid is any gaps between the boards along with being secure together.

A few of the designs are intricate, can a spirial blade be used with out problem? I personally don't have any trouble controlling or using them. But my only experience thus far has been in 1/4 inch board.

thanks again.

Bill
            Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Like cooter, I use CA, but only a drop of medium on each corner. I put a shot of accelerator on the mating surface and put clamps on the corners.
              Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X