putting things together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting things together

Hi i was wundering if some could please tell me how to putt things together after making them ... do u just glue them or use small nails

It depends on the size of the project. Smaller projects could be glued using a good wood glue or CA (Crazy glue). Larger items could be fastened using glue, brads or a combination of the two. Do not use a polyurethane glue such as Gorilla Glue unless you want to spend a lot of time cleaning it up.
    Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

thank you very much

Comment

Brenda

Glad to see you asking questions here and you will get alot of good advice for sure but may I make a request, when asking a question if you can be more specific it would be a great asset to us. This way we can help more directly. That is such a broad question. There are many options not only glue and nails. It depends on the project and what you are looking to do. But for gluing woods together there is in my opinion no better glue than yellow carpenters glue such as Titebond glue. Many people in the scrolling industry like to use Aileens Tacky glue that comes in the brown bottle and can be found at any craft store or Walmarts. I have used this in the past especially when the piece had to be stained first before assembly. Holds real well. As far as brads or nail it has to be a piece tht can withstand the pounding of a hammer or if you can use an airnailer would be better. But for most part things are glued. Have a good day and please keep the questions coming.
        John T.

Comment

Thank you very much John T I am making my first clock with my own pattern and I wasn't sure on how to put thie sides on the front and back
          if any one would like to see my pattern please ask....

Comment

Brenda

Pictures are always worth a thousand words. Would love to see it.
            John T.

Comment

I too would love to see your work. Im also finishing up a clock I "tried "designing.I may have pictures soon. I usually assemble with glue only,and ocasionaly a couple small nails where they wont be seen.When possible,I drill a teeny weeny hole where the nail or brad is to be driven to prevent the wood from splitting .JT is right,save the poly glue for other things.I use a lot of ailenes tacky glue,and never had a problem with it. This last clock I glued up,I used yellow woodworkers glue from one of those penlike glue bottles they sell.I even cheated and refilled one with titebondII when it got empty.It seems to hold good,its at least as strong as the wood itself.Good luck,Ill look forward to seeing it!
              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

my fist clock

hi everyone my first clock pattern is in the beginners picture gallery

Comment

Brenda

Thanks for posting the pictures. Now first let me say you are doing a good job designing the clock. I am not quite sure what I am looking at but from the pictures I need clarification. The design with the scrolls are they going to be an overlay on top of a solid piece of wood?? The reason I ask is there is no wood on the sides or tops or bottoms so to glue together. You would need at least a 1/4" boarder around it to be able to glue together. Also if you are making this a pendulum clock make sure there is enough room for the pendulum to swing and deep enough to allow for the motor. Keep up the good work and hope to see a working clock soon.
                  John T.

Comment

there will be sides when i am finished with it and som e of the work will be overlayed its hard for me to put everything on paper but i have a great pic in my mind I did mess up on the size it going to be closer to 2 ft instead of 3. i will gladly send pictures when it is completed thanks Brenda

Comment

Great work Brenda. we look forward to seeing the complete project....and all the in between pics too
                      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                        Reply to Turning to something new
                        by jim_mex
                        Too funny Scott!

Rest assured however that I have already purchased a good quality faceshield and have an ample supply of dust masks as well!

Thanks for the advice!...
                        Today, 08:20 PM
                      • vgraf
                        Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                        by vgraf
                        Very nice.
                        Today, 08:01 PM
                      • vgraf
                        Giraffe sold at charity auction
                        by vgraf

I recently donated this giraffe puzzle to an online charity auction for Hospital Lumiere in Haiti. This hospital is operated by our church's international relief organization and they hold this auction/fund raiser each year.

It was hilarious watching the bidding for this puzzle....
                        Today, 07:50 PM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Turning to something new
                        by NC Scroller
                        DANGER....DANGER....DANGER wood turning is a vortex what sucks people into the darkness that few ever return from. After all where else do you take a round tree, cut a chunk from it, and make it round again. Just not natural. Make sure you get a good face shield and you use it....
                        Today, 07:33 PM
                      • jim_mex
                        Turning to something new
                        by jim_mex
                        Hi all

Much as I love the challenge of scrolling and trying out new ideas now I've finally dropped into retirement I've been looking for something in the craft woodworking field which which I could be more productive in such that I could possibly make a little bit of pocket money out of...
                        Today, 06:56 PM
                      Working...
                      X