Which blade for a young scroller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which blade for a young scroller

I am fairly new to scrolling but have a lot of woodworking experience. My 12 year old daughter has recently expressed interest in scrolling some Christmas ornaments.

I use skip tooth blades. She was getting frustrated with staying on the line with these blades. They seem way to agressive for her.

I think a less agressive blade and slow cuttng speed would be less frustrating for her. Any suggestions.
    Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

It may be worth it to drop down to a regular-tooth blade and slow the saw down. But as frustrating to a pre-teen as it may be, practice is the only way to consistantly stay on the line. Scrolling guru John Nelson reccomends that beginners start with skip-tooth blades...

It might also be worth dropping down to a smaller-sized blade, which will also cut slower.

Bob Duncan
    Scroll Saw Workshop
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Your ideas plus put two of more pieces of BB together and then cut. I started out doing single sheet projects years ago and found only the Hegner scrolls saw would let me do it.

Comment

I sorry bmwbob. What is "BB"?
        Dan

Comment

it's an abbreviation for Baltic Birch, the standard plywood many scrollers use.
          Bob
          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Owler, try a 2/0 28 t.p.i (teeth per inch) reverse tooth blade and run the saw at a slow or medium speed. Tell your daughter that staying on the line comes with practice, if she goes off the line come back to the line gradually rather than abruptly. Mick.
            Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I'm a bit worried that too fine a blade might lead to breakages which could be very disconcerting for a 12 year old girl and might scare her. I like the idea of using a decent thickness of plywood and a slow speed. Patterns which don't have tight turns would probably be easier for her to cut successfully.

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Practice like Bob said is paramount when it comes to new scrollers. My blade choice would be a double skip tooth in the #5 or 7 range. You can slow the speed down which will help. The thing I would not do is build the layers up too much because then the tendency will be to put sideward pressure on the blade. A begginer needs to learn the movements needed to scroll straight or curved lines and it just takes practice.
                John T.

Comment

Get John Nelson's Scrollsaw Workbook and use it as the learning tool it is. I've used the first exercise to teach a couple of people how get control.
                  Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Thank you all for your comments! I am truly impressed by the number of replies in such a short time.
                    Dan

Comment

A crown tooth blade might also be a good choice, as they cut a little more slowly than the equivalent skip. And definitely starting with thicker wood (or double-stacked wood) keeps the wandering from getting out of control, since the cutting is slower and there's more time to correct. Is she cutting in 3/4-inch pine? That would be the best for a beginner to get the feel.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                        Shrink wrap systems
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                        Today, 11:51 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Sundays market
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                        Today, 11:39 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to New tools
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        New tools can definitely open up the scope of what we can do, or how well I'm on the band wagon. Congrats!
                        Today, 11:36 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Interesting pallet
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide...
                        Today, 11:32 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Interesting pallet
                        by NC Scroller
                        I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
                        Today, 11:30 AM
                      Working...
                      X