Patterns to computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patterns to computer

New to saw scrolling and have a question or two.

I own a DW 788 scroll saw. I was given a variable speed footswitch. But I heard these are not good for scrolling. So I am thinking of getting a new one. And my next item is a good light source.

First question, I have a couple of pattern books and would like to transfer them to my computer. Thing is I do not have a scanner. Can anyone recommend a scanner? I tried a few in the past but never got them to work correctly. Running Windows XP Pro.

Second question, I heard some people apply wax to their saw table. Is this a good idea?

Thanks,

Bill

If you can turn the variable speed all the way up or bypass it on the foot pedal it should be ok.
    I use a Microtek 4800 scanner. It works good for me.
    I use Minwax Paste Finishing Wax on my table, some people use Butcher's Wax, others don't polish theirs. It's personal preference. Try it and see how you like it, just don't use a automotive wax, it may contain silicone which could get into the wood and affect any finish you put on it.
    Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Bill

Welcome to the fun world of scrolling. Woodbutcher gave you some good advice and will second some things. The waxing of the table is to make the wood slide easier when turning. I do not like this because I want more control. But if you are going to wax the table then use a wax that has no silicon in it for this will have an ill effect on the finishing of the piece later on.Some people and I have this on 2 of my saws a piece of plexiglass on the top. I did this because I scroll large pieces at times and this helps support them. You can wax that also.

As far as scanning patterns I would suggest going to Kinkos and making copies of the pattern and filing them away for future. You will get accurate copies every time. I have an Epson Perfection 4180 photo scaner and is excellent in reproducing things and comes with all the necessary material to scan things.

The variable foot switch is not the first choice but like said if you crank it to full speed and leave it and use the speed control on the saw. If you use both you will have a chance of burning the motor out on the saw.

The light is very important. I do not know how good your eye site is but recomend one of the flourescent magnifiers I started out years ago using it for just a light source but now with father time taking over I can't scroll without using the magnifier. If you do not go this way at least get a flourescent light on a swivel so you can attach it to the wall and direct it for best lighting. I recomend flourescent because it will give you a light source that does not produce shadows and is easy on the eyes. You can get daylight lamps and they are great.
      John T.

Comment

Please read the copywrite statement on your pattern books. Some copywrites do not allow electronic storage of the book or parts of it.

T
        Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

I missed the part about lighting. I have the light that came with the DW-788, cool white flourescent ceiling lights and a 500 watt halogen above my saw. Gives me the full spectrum and lots of light.
          Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Thanks to all that replied.

I checked out some magnifing lamps. Most were $80 - 150. There was one I liked but the price was $159. Anyone know of a cheaper lamp. Somewhere on the net I could look at?

Bill

Comment

Check out Walmart and or places that sell drafting equipment. That is who uses them alot , Draftsman.
              John T.

Comment

Patterns to Computer!!!

BDJ470:

Just a word about scanning fretwork into a computer.

Before you purchase a scanner, please find someone who has one, and scan a pattern in. Take it home and look the computer file with your application.

Or just take a digital camera and take a picture of the pattern, and look at with your application. (Stong, even lighting does matter here.)

The point is this, you will end up with a bit-map file of the pattern. The edges are going to be saw-toothed. There will be a lot of 'encoding' noise where the scanning software decided there was a spot, when there wasn't, and no-spot where there should be. (These are also know as 'false-positive' and 'false-negitive'.)

Either way, scanning or digital camera, you will end up with a lot of work cleanning up the file. Mind you not hard work, difficult, or beyond your skill, just time consumming. So before you buy a scanner, try it out. Judge for your self.

Phil

Comment

magnifying lamp

Originally posted by Bdj470
                  Anyone know of a cheaper lamp. Somewhere on the net I could look at?

Bill
                  Woodcraft has one for $60. www.woodcraft.com Disclaimer: I work part-time at a Woodcraft franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayBeard Phil
                    BDJ470:

Just a word about scanning fretwork into a computer.

Before you purchase a scanner, please find someone who has one, and scan a pattern in. Take it home and look the computer file with your application.
                    Phil
                    Thanks I will check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by PiALaModem
                      Woodcraft has one for $60. www.woodcraft.com Disclaimer: I work part-time at a Woodcraft franchise.
                      I will have a look there. I have one near by.

I was there Saturday to see if they had any Bessey clamps in stock, as I was going to pick some up being on sale and all. All out of stock.

Comment

cheap swing arm lamp

found this $12.00 lamp at harbor freight
                        click words below
                        SWING ARM MAGNIFYING LAMP
                        or look for words on harborfreight.com
                        Dremel 1680 & Delta ss250 shopmaster

Comment

That Harbor Freight swing arm lamp -- I have one of those or one just like it. It works pretty well, no complaints. It doesn't take a fluorescent lamp, though

Comment

Bill,
                            For waxing the table of your saw - before you invest in a wax, try just rubbing the table with a crumpled piece of clean waxed paper - the stuff you probably have in the kitchen. I have an RBI saw (aluminum table), and just the waxed paper occasionally keeps it smooth enuf to swivel those cuts, but not slippery enough to cause me to loose control. And it is cheap and not messy.
                            Good luck!
                            Sandy

Comment

Mag lamp

I got mine from the Homier (?) the cheap tool guys, when they were in town. I think it was 19.99 and works very well.
                              Earl

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X