just starting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just starting out

i am just starting out and would like to know what is the best scroll saw to use. i dont have a lot of money but did see this one brand by the name of " RYOBI " at a home depot near my house. is that a good one to start with?

Hookupman--
    I can guarantee you are going to get a jillion opinions/recommendations in answer to your question. You didn't say how much you want to spend on a saw and that makes a difference. I've given this advice before and I will do so again--just about any of the "better" saws are good: DeWalt, Hegner, Excaliber, RBI, etc. "Good" saws usually run between $500-$2000. They all have the "bells and whistles" like 20-30" throats, variable speeds, tilting tables, good tension controls, etc. I personally use an RBI Hawk. I have, however, been looking at the new Excaliber with the tilting arm at $750. I am not familiar with Ryobi scroll saws. They make pretty good construction-grade power tools, but the scroll saw is on a level with Sears Craftsman, Dremel, and a few others of that ilk. Now I will get all kinds of flack because I have said what I have. Listen to all these folks and then take it with a grain of salt and buy what is best for you.
    Moon
    Old Mooner

Comment

If you're just starting out and are really serious about scrolling, invest in the best you can afford.
      I started with a $99.00 Craftsman, then bought a used Delta from a friend. (He upgraded to an RBI and hasn't used it in years) Last year I bought a new DeWalt and am very happy with it.
      As you will soon see, everyone will have their own opinion on the various makes and models.
      Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

A year or so ago, I was in a local mega-hardware store and they had a Black & Decker variable-speed scroll saw with very easy blade-changing for $110. I bought it as a back up to my DeWalt and within a short time I needed it for a couple of weeks. It was great! I thought at the time that it would be perfect for a beginner. I still use it as my backup.

Good luck...

Carter

Comment

hookupman, go to www.scrollsaws.com. Check out Rick's site before you decide on a saw. When purchasing a scrollsaw if you get a cheap one that is what you will have. Check out the Delta SS350LS for around $200. The Delta P-20 and the Dewalt 788 are both very good saws and are just under $500. There are also better and more expensive saws out there. Check out www.mikesworkshop.com for great advice on blades and great prices on blades. Good luck and enjoy scrolling with whichever saw you decide on. Mick
          Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Hookupman,

I have read a number of negative things about the Dremel scroll saw on a number of forums.

I however have never agreed with any of them. I have been very happy with mine, concidering the price. Don't get me wrong it is far from the best saw on the market, but it does have a lot of features for a "low end" saw. I started on mine about 4 years ago, it has more than paid for itselft and I am just now concidering upgrading to something better (probably the RBI G4). I have had no problems with the saw and I have not found anything I wanted to do that the saw could not accomodate.

Many others in this forum have had more experience with a number of saws, so take this for what it is worth.

Good luck and Happy Scollin'

Bill.

Comment

I have a Craftsman ( it fits my pocketbook ) and it does everything I need so I am verysatisfied with it but I will say this about any saw.. if you buy one and they have a replacement guarentee with it buy that also .. I have litterally worn out my scroll saw and had to get a new one in just a few months - but I do run mine 24/7 so it was my own doing.. but had I not bought the replacement guarentee I would have been without a saw long ago or trying to figure what bill wasn't getting paid to replace the one I wore out. With a replacement warranty they give you a brand new one right on the spot and NO HASSLE.. to me that is very important..but what ever you buy just be sure you do what you can afford and be comfortable with . All saws cut - just some are less hassle than others.
              Sharon

Comment

Let me add this since most will read this post it seems more fitting here for all newto scrolling-- Buy several type blades of different sizes and learn that the blade Does make a difference too. I learned that Mike has the best blades anywhere and he is very helpfull when choosing what you need. I get my blades just about as fast as waiting on a trip into town _ i live in a rural town - from mike and they are a whole lot cheaper than if I bought them anywhere else . I have trusted mike and listened to him and not been sorry a bit and I learned a few things I thought I was was doing good till i found out that the blade and the size makes my work look so much better and goes so much quicker and smoother ...so don't waste money on a store brand --buy the best from mike and you won't regret it.
                Sharon

Comment

I have the Delta SS350. I got it on the stand at Amazon.com for 199.00 shipped. It is a very nice lower end saw. I have mine running in fine shape with low vibration. It is a fairly quiet saw and will work well for you as a beginner and intermediate. This was my max budget. Buy the best saw you can absolutely afford.

Corey

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by Rolf
                    So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                    I like the fact...
                    Today, 08:34 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by will8989
                    Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                    Today, 08:17 AM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by Sandy Oaks
                    Way to go, Betty. Our farmers market does not allow craft sales.
                    Today, 08:17 AM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by Rolf
                    Good for you! Who designed the small nativity?
                    Today, 08:10 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Supermax
                    by NC Scroller
                    Two great customer service stories on this forum in a week. There is hope. Even in 2020.
                    Today, 08:00 AM
                  Working...
                  X