Need info on Delta 50-540 saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on Delta 50-540 saw

I am traveling to NJ next week to spend a few weeks with the grandkids. A friend of theirs has a Delta scroll saw that they got as a gift, never used it, and want to sell it. I wouldn't mind getting it for the grandkids (dad and mom would supervise) but I can't find it listed. It is a few years old so it may have been replaced with a new model number.

What is it worth and is it worth getting? Should I get more saw, even if it costs a lot more?

Thanks,

Clem
    Last edited by Clem Wixted; 10-05-2005, 03:20 PM. Reason: Corrected model number

Delta 40-540

Well Clem this saw is one of my favorites no matter what anyone says
    I have used one for 9 years and now I lent it to a buddy to start him scrolling.
    It is a good beginners saw, the blade clamps are some of the best around.
    The Variable speed feature makes the saw a joy to use.
    I know the saw is still available a few places, In Canada I have seen it new for $149 in the States for around $100
    I still think of it as the best saw for the buck. Even though other saws out there are superior.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thanks for the info, Carl.

If they don't want too much for it, I will get it to have when I visit the family in NJ.

I looked around and the SS250, which is the current equivalent, can be had for about $89 USD.

I'll let you know what happened when I return from the visit.

Clem

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
        Reply to New tools
        by jim_mex
        Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
        Today, 05:26 PM
      • Rolf
        Reply to New tools
        by Rolf
        Jim I bought a mig welder the last time I did a frame off restoration on my TVR. I had a few frame cracks. I bought one that used shielding gas. I never really mastered the power vs feed vs moving the torch. Using it only a couple of times a year did not help.
        My dream was to buy a TIG so that...
        Today, 04:32 PM
      • Rolf
        Reply to Big week here
        by Rolf
        Yes you have had a great week.! It is really nice that your son shared this special moment. Regarding retirement, Almost 5 years for me, Never regreted my decision, not for an instant.
        Today, 04:19 PM
      • jim_mex
        New PC keyboard has an error
        by jim_mex
        Partly because I have trouble seeing small letters with my one remaining eye and also because my existing wireless keyboard gave up the ghost a couple of days back I went out this morning and bought a new wired keyboard from our local Oice Depot.

I chose one with really big blue illuminated...
        Today, 03:47 PM
      • jim_mex
        Reply to Big week here
        by jim_mex
        Hi Jim - A nice story regarding your son biting the bullet. Congrats to all!

Re your upcoming retirement. I wasn't really looking forward to mine but to be honest, apart from being home based due to this darn virus, I've gotten accustomed to getting up in the morning and deciding what I...
        Today, 03:32 PM
      Working...
      X