No saw yet....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No saw yet....

I `am new to this hobby and to this site. i guess my question is whats a good saw to start with under five hundred dollars or is this dollar amount to small?

Under 500

Well 500 is not too low at all. I know I will get some comments on this
    Get the Dewalt.
    In Canada the Dewalt is around $699. with a stand.
    In the US it is much less. I havent heard any complaints about it.
    I use a Delta and a Ryobi, both under $300.
    But then again I don't have lots of money,
    I only cut for a hobby and enjoyment,
    I love to use BC softwood.
    and I am CANADIAN

anyone up for a beer?
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

You can find the DeWalt (which is surely your best buy at that price) for just over $400 including the light and stand. Do a thorough search on the internet and you should find it, deliverable quickly with minimum shipping charge, (which always amazes me cause the darn thing is heavy).

I've used my DeWalt heavily for almost nine years now and have the feeling that I perhaps should buy another because it's bound to wear out sometime, isn't it?

On the other hand, if you're just getting started and want to test whether this is a hobby you will like, you can buy a name brand variable speed scroll saw that takes straight-end blades at your neighborhood store for around $100.

Good luck....and have phun....

Carter

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianScroller
        Well 500 is not too low at all. I know I will get some comments on this
        Get the Dewalt.
        Well Carl I have to hand it to you, you finally gave some good advice about a buying a good scrollsaw . Things are looking up.
        John T.

Comment

There are some suppliers that carry refurbished DeWalts . Some say that they are better than one off the production line because instead of a quick spot check on maybe one in ten or so they are ones that have been returned for some little problem and then they are thoroughly gone over to make sure it is right to be sent out the second time. Someone here may have a link to where to get a refurbished one at a big saving. The only difference with it apart from looking like an original brand new will be that they have added a 'R' at the end of the serial number.
          Good luck.
          Fred

Comment

Howdy, Twister. I'm new to the hobby myself, and just got my saw. I went with the Dewalt, due mostly to the recommendations of the folks on this board. I haven't gotten a chance to use it much, just a couple of practice runs. Today I finally got to cut out my first pattern, the butterfly from John Nelson's book (also highly recommended).

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
              by NC Scroller
              My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
              Today, 07:42 AM
            • will8989
              by will8989
              None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
              Today, 12:20 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              by Linda In Phoenix
              What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
              The bags seem easier on the surface.
              But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
              Yesterday, 03:24 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by will8989
              Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
              Yesterday, 10:32 AM
            • Sandy Oaks
              by Sandy Oaks
              As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
              Yesterday, 09:46 AM
            Working...
            X