Spray Adhesive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray Adhesive

Okay, y'all, I got my saw finally! Going to try to set it up tomorrow, and hopefully get some sawing done this weekend (barring all major complications.)

What do you use for spray adhesive for mounting the pattern to the wood?

There are several types on the market. I use Elmer's spray adhesive that I buy from Wal-Mart. I have used the 3M adhesive in the pastwith good results as well. Just about any of them will work.

Comment

Most any spray adhesive is good,but I had a lot of trouble with one can of Duro brand once,but the can before it worked well,now i use strictly the 3M super 77 i think its called,it works great,but costs a bit more
      One more thing. I suggest using clear packing tape on the wood before applying the pattern,it lubricates the wood,and eases pattern removal. Good luck, have fun,your gonna love it!
      Last edited by lucky788scroller; 09-22-2005, 10:06 PM.
      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Okay, 3M Super 77 it is. As for the clear tape, are you saying to apply it to the wood, THEN add the pattern?

Comment

I put the pattern on first then the tape. I don't use tape that much, most of the time just a good sharp blade works better for me.

Bob
          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I find that packing tape is too sticky. In the past, I never used any tape at all but I now like to wrap my wood in low tack masking tape. It helps prevent tear-out, lubricates the blades (making them last longer) and it's easy to remove.

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I find myself using the blue painters' tape more and more--It's a lot easier to remove than the clear packaging tape. I hate trying to pick off little bits of clear tape--the blue tape is also easier to see!

Bob
              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I have found if I use the clear packing tape over my pattern after I have spray glued it it works well -I glue poster board to the back of my piece also - this saves tear out on the back - but the important thing to rember is how to take the glue and pattern remainds off after the piece is done -- for this I use lighter fluid or paint thinner. after I apply the thinner with a brush-a little dab will do ya- it all just lifts right off. Then I dip my paper towel in the thinner and wipe off the excess glue that was left --This works real well for me .
                Sharon

Comment

Hu, yea, what Sharon says. That is what I do as well. Except the poster board bit. I think I will try that.....Thanks, Sharon.

-Bill
                  -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

I suggest you apply the blue (or purple) painter's tape to the wood first, then spray the tape with 3M Super 77 adhesive, apply the pattern to the blue tape, and then cover the pattern with clear packing tape. The packing tape cools and lubricates the blade and helps to avoid burning on thicker or harder wood. The blue tape allows you to just simply peel the patern off after you complete the work. Clear packing tape was never mean't to be used as an easy removal method. I suggest you never glue the pattern to the wood. I know you can use mineral spirits, etc to remove the adhesive, but it becomes very hairy when working on an advanced design.

Moon
                    Old Mooner

Comment

When you are talking about putting tape on either after or before the pattern, how thick of wood are you talking about?
                      Most of my cutting is on wood from 1/8" to 1/2" and other than cherry I have never needed tape.

Bob
                      Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I use tape on hardwood 1/2" or thicker, 3/8" or more if it's stacked.
                        Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Greenfield Bob I am with you no tape unless it is a thick or hard exotic. FD blades and no need for tape. Old Mooner I think you are over killing the tape thing sir but that is just an opinion. I also would not spray the adhesive on any thing except the pattern itself and it becomes a learning thing as to when it is tacky enough to apply pattern to wood.
                          John T.

Comment

I haven't found the clear packing tape to help me at all. So I quit using it. As another said earlier - a nice sharp blade works well.
                            For the spray glue - just remember to only spray the paper pattern. Don't ever spray right onto the wood.

I make a lot of Christmas ornaments and smaller projects. For these I use an elmer's glue stick on the back of the patterns. If it sticks too good, a little water on the pattern and the glue will release. I don't like using the mineral spirits unless I absolutely have to.

Theresa
                            Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Yes,my choice way is clear packing tape first,then super 77 the pattern to the taped wood. Removal....either just peel the tape off,or if its giving you a bit of a hassle,blow it with a hairdryer as you peel the tape off. I never have to screw around with thinners or other flammables. Just a light sanding with 220 after pattern removal and its good to go! I use it on any wood thickness,as its easier then cleaning super 77 spray off the wood.
                              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                                Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                                by cwmagee
                                A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                                Today, 07:28 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                                That is...
                                Today, 08:15 AM
                              • Jimern
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jimern
                                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                                Today, 06:29 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X