Making bookmarks. Need Info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making bookmarks. Need Info.

I would like to make some bookmarks and haven't been able to find information in print to show the way. I am interested in:

Material Type Thickness
    Blades
    Sources
    Designs
    Methods
    Finishing

And other things that I am not even aware of

Mike has pointed out a few things for me in a quick phone call (thanks, Mike) and I am even more eager to get started.

Thanks for any help or web sites that might have some,

Clem

Best wood for that is 1/32" plywood available at Sloans Woodshop.
    http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/plywoods.htm
    Fred

Comment

links

there are some great bookmars on this SSW site links
      I will send you some others by email.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Fred and Carl,

Thanks for your reply. There sure is a lot to digest for this one aspect of woodworking. I am also into woodturning and I have my hands full garnering all the information I can digest.

Clem

Comment

Bookmarks

Clem,
          I make bookmarks out of offcut swamp kauri and sell about 4000 per year. I do have a full workshop and this means that I can machine up what is needed. I machine up a finished blank at 6" long X 11/4' wide and 1/8" thick. I am able to put these through a drum sander to get a finished surface. I stack 7 together and hold them with masking tape and using a Flying Dutchman NO3 blade cut out the required shape in the bookmark. I did a Google search to find animal shapes in their images area and sized these as necessary for the patterns which I then transferred onto formica and then cut them out to give a repeatable pattern. I finish sand them on a slightly soft pneumatic bobbin sander to give a very fine oval shape to them and this gives a tactile feel as a craft item. I finish them with oil to keep it simple. Although there are a number of operations involved in making them I do find that I can produce about 200 per day. I have recently purchased a Hegner scroll saw and find that my time in cutting is greatly reduced because of the accuracy obtained from a quality saw.
          I hope this is of some use to you.
          Rhys H

Comment

Hello Rhys,

I would be interested in seeing a picture of some of your bookmarks...are there any we can see on the web?

Thanks,

Hawaii Lad

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbyhorse
              Clem,
              I make bookmarks out of offcut swamp kauri and sell about 4000 per year.

I machine up a finished blank at 6" long X 11/4' wide and 1/8" thick. I am able to put these through a drum sander to get a finished surface.

I hope this is of some use to you.
              Rhys H

Rhys,

Thanks for the good information. My source of swamp kauri has dried up :-) so I can't use that anymore.

Is 1/8" too thick, or because of the oval shape, it fits well into a book.

Your information is very helpful. Is you wood quarter sawn?

Clem

Comment

My apologies Clem. when you said bookmarks I was thinking in a computer sense. Is my face red or what?
                I did buy some 1/32 ply for making bookmarks but I havent done it yet. The wood is incredibly strong.
                I bought it at national craft store when it was on sale, still pricey but not when you divide it by the number of bookmarks you can get of one piece.
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Bookmarks

Clem,
                  In my description of the system I use I did miss out the final phase which is to put the bookmark over a flap wheel to burnish it and to round off the corners and edges. My flap wheel is slashed, with 180 grit paper, and
                  6" x 2" in size. By slashed it means that the paper is not continuous across but has been cut to give about 1/4" segments in the 2" width. This then means that it follows contours better and will run around the edge of the bookmark.
                  Re the 1/8" thickness the contour of the bookmark does negate this to some degree. Many of the plywood bookmarks are left with hard square edges whereas mine are more of a craft item for those who enjoy wood.
                  The timber I use comes from offcuts from my other work making alphabet shaped swamp kauri jewellery boxes on the bandsaw. I source the timber in 8" x 4" and generally end up with a 1/2" offcut 8" wide which I am too "scottish" to burn, apart from the fact that it is a heritage timber which at 45,000 years old and does not need to go on the fire in 2005 when it can be used.
                  My computer skills are fairly basic and I have not mastered the photos to the web bit yet! Maybe I should try again.

Rhys H.

Comment

Rhys,

Thanks again for the sanding information. I can see where the soft edges would make the bookmark easier on the book. I'll look for a flap wheel to get softer edges like yours.

I don't think I'll be able to get any wood as old as yours around here :-)

Check with some of your more computer literate friends about posting some pictures of your handiwork. I'm sure there are a number of us that would like to see them.

Clem

Comment

Rhys is actually doing an aritcle with us on his bookmarks in a future issue. Also, in the newest issue, which mails to subscribers around the end of the month, Tom Sevy describes how to make bookmarks out of 1/32" baltic birch...

Bob
                      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Good Timimg

Originally posted by BobD
                        Rhys is actually doing an aritcle with us on his bookmarks in a future issue. Also, in the newest issue, which mails to subscribers around the end of the month, Tom Sevy describes how to make bookmarks out of 1/32" baltic birch...

Bob
                        Bob,

You sure are responsive and timely in providing me with some printed information about making wooden bookmarks. :-)

Thanks for the information.

Clem

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                          Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                          The bags seem easier on the surface.
                          But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                          Today, 03:24 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                          by will8989
                          Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                          Today, 10:32 AM
                        • Sandy Oaks
                          by Sandy Oaks
                          As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                          Today, 09:46 AM
                        • NC Scroller
                          Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                          by NC Scroller
                          I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                          Today, 07:42 AM
                        • NC Scroller
                          by NC Scroller
                          I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                          Today, 07:39 AM
                        Working...
                        X