Tools for scrolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for scrolling

Besides having a scroll saw, maybe a magnifier, some way of sanding your work and a drill to make starter holes, what other tools do you think a novice should pick up.

I am thinking in terms of rulers, protractors, riffle files etc.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Angle guages for accurate measurement of angles, emery boards for fine filing/sanding, perhaps even a tack cloth to clean the work.

Comment

Table saw and a thickness planner.

Bob
      Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Carl

All the tools you mentioned can get a scrollsawn project done. You can always buy dimentioned lumber and copying a pattern and pasting it on is simple enough. I think if I were to tell a beginner some of the most important tools would be " PATIENCE ", good work habits, and the will to learn are important tools to successful and enjoyable scrolling.
        John T.

Comment

You forgot sawblades Carl!

I use my 9" bandsaw more than my table saw, too much wood stacked on the table saw! I have a Performax 10-20 drum sander, Craftsman 4X36 belt sander, Ryobi oscillating spindle sander, 1" Grizzly belt sander, B&D palm sander and an Electrofile sander with all the files.
          Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Electofile

How useful is the elecrofile. I have looked at them a time or two myself.

Earl

Comment

I have to say that if you use the correct blade for the material at the correct speed you really dont need to sand much.
              Sand the work on all sides before scrolling, use reverse cut teeth if you need a sharp bottom edge, take it slow and enjoy.
              That being said if you need to touch up inside a fretwork piece, ie. it was broken and repaired, or you end up with rough spots where you start and stop a cut, or get interrupted while cutting a long inside line, I bet the tool would come in real handy.

Thats a pretty wide fence I sit on isnt it
              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
              "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
              Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Two of my most useful tools aren't available in the shops - I made them myself.

First, I took a broken saw blade and glued it into a piece of wood which acts as a handle. Whenever I'm scrolling and the pattern starts to lift around the blade, I hold it in place with this tool without risking injury to my fingers. I also use it to poke little pieces of wood out when they get jammed whilst being cut.

Secondly, I've got an oak off-cut which tapers to a point. This is quite a useful scraper for a variety of purposes, primarily when little pieces of pattern paper fail to peel off and stick to the wood .

I also find my Dremel multi-tool indispensable. Not only is it useful as a drill, but it's great for rounding over segmented work too.

Gill
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I bought the Electrofile when I had my old Delta saw. It's a great little tool for cleaning up inside cuts and especially tight corners. I don't use it as much as I used to since I bought the DeWalt, but it's great on Baltic Birch. If your one of those people who has trouble following the lines and you back up to get back on track, it cleans up those marks too.
                  Last edited by Woodbutcher68; 09-09-2005, 07:57 PM.
                  Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                    Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                    by NC Scroller
                    My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                    Today, 07:42 AM
                  • will8989
                    by will8989
                    None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                    Today, 12:20 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                    The bags seem easier on the surface.
                    But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                    Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by will8989
                    Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                    Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    by Sandy Oaks
                    As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                    Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                  Working...
                  X