Tools for scrolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for scrolling

Besides having a scroll saw, maybe a magnifier, some way of sanding your work and a drill to make starter holes, what other tools do you think a novice should pick up.

I am thinking in terms of rulers, protractors, riffle files etc.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Angle guages for accurate measurement of angles, emery boards for fine filing/sanding, perhaps even a tack cloth to clean the work.

Comment

Table saw and a thickness planner.

Bob
      Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Carl

All the tools you mentioned can get a scrollsawn project done. You can always buy dimentioned lumber and copying a pattern and pasting it on is simple enough. I think if I were to tell a beginner some of the most important tools would be " PATIENCE ", good work habits, and the will to learn are important tools to successful and enjoyable scrolling.
        John T.

Comment

You forgot sawblades Carl!

I use my 9" bandsaw more than my table saw, too much wood stacked on the table saw! I have a Performax 10-20 drum sander, Craftsman 4X36 belt sander, Ryobi oscillating spindle sander, 1" Grizzly belt sander, B&D palm sander and an Electrofile sander with all the files.
          Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Electofile

How useful is the elecrofile. I have looked at them a time or two myself.

Earl

Comment

I have to say that if you use the correct blade for the material at the correct speed you really dont need to sand much.
              Sand the work on all sides before scrolling, use reverse cut teeth if you need a sharp bottom edge, take it slow and enjoy.
              That being said if you need to touch up inside a fretwork piece, ie. it was broken and repaired, or you end up with rough spots where you start and stop a cut, or get interrupted while cutting a long inside line, I bet the tool would come in real handy.

Thats a pretty wide fence I sit on isnt it
              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
              "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
              Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Two of my most useful tools aren't available in the shops - I made them myself.

First, I took a broken saw blade and glued it into a piece of wood which acts as a handle. Whenever I'm scrolling and the pattern starts to lift around the blade, I hold it in place with this tool without risking injury to my fingers. I also use it to poke little pieces of wood out when they get jammed whilst being cut.

Secondly, I've got an oak off-cut which tapers to a point. This is quite a useful scraper for a variety of purposes, primarily when little pieces of pattern paper fail to peel off and stick to the wood .

I also find my Dremel multi-tool indispensable. Not only is it useful as a drill, but it's great for rounding over segmented work too.

Gill
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I bought the Electrofile when I had my old Delta saw. It's a great little tool for cleaning up inside cuts and especially tight corners. I don't use it as much as I used to since I bought the DeWalt, but it's great on Baltic Birch. If your one of those people who has trouble following the lines and you back up to get back on track, it cleans up those marks too.
                  Last edited by Woodbutcher68; 09-09-2005, 07:57 PM.
                  Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jo Labre
                    Reply to Festool vac and Pegas scroll saw
                    by Jo Labre
                    Rolf, Richard Boehl at QTE says the next shipment is expected soon and a new unit will be sent to me. From the comments in this thread it looks like it will be safe to plug the saw into the Festool. I wish I knew what caused the failure. If operator error, I don't want it to happen again....
                    Today, 09:54 AM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to My computer issues.
                    by Rolf
                    Thanks John.
                    Today, 08:36 AM
                  • Rolf
                    by Rolf
                    The lack of service facilities is an industry wide problem not just in the SS world. To find tech savvy factory support is rare.
                    I am fortunate that I can fix most anything myself. I don't have a Pegas saw or I would dig into one. The big problem is most tools like Pegas are sold by distributors...
                    Today, 08:31 AM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    by Sandy Oaks
                    As a Pegas dealer, I think I will chime in on this thread. It was a huge mistake to let Bob Duncan go, but I don’t know the circumstances. I Had a customer with a tension lever problem. I sent a new lever, but there was a question on how to replace it. They passed my email on to someone and he...
                    Today, 08:25 AM
                  • hotshot
                    by hotshot
                    They need Bob back desperately....
                    Today, 07:44 AM
                  Working...
                  X