New to scroll sawing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to scroll sawing

Ok I am very new to scroll sawing. I read that some or all of you do not take the blade out of the top & bottom.. What I cant figure out is if I take just the top out how do you put the blade in the next "little" drill hole without bending the blade to almost 90. It is very hard for me to find the next drill hole.by that time I could have taken it out of the bottom.Does that make sense? Thanks for any help..

Rob

I don't know what type of saw you use but on my Dremel the throat plate (the little removable disk in the table) is slotted in two different directions which enables you to angle the blade forward for easier bottom to top feeding.( I think most saws are the same in this regard)

The big thing is just not getting overly aggressive when feeding the blade through the bottom of your wood. One thing I do to make for a smoother feed is after I drill my pilot holes I go back over the back of my work with the sander to remove any little burrs that my blade may snag on. By doing this you have a nice clean shot at the pilot hole and it goes in with no efforts.

Practice, practice, practice, over time you'll get a system down and you'll wonder why this ever gave you a problem. Good luck.
    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Keep at it, it will get easier to find the holes. Comes with practice. As to haveing to bend the blade, on most saws the lower blade clamp will pivot forward and backward and the slot in the table allows for this movement. Hang in there, it'll get easier.

Comment

Rob....What make of saw do you have? Does the upper arm lift up out of the way? If It doesn't, then you will have to bow the blade to some degree to bottom feed it into the pilot hole. Don't bend it to the point that it becomes stressed; ie, permanently bent, or it will break while you're sawing. Taking the blade loose on both ends would be a pain, especially if you have a saw that requires a tool to clamp the lower end. I had a Delta for several years and although it cut pretty well, large fretwork pieces thicker than 1/2 inch presented the same problem you're speaking of.
        If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Welcome Rob, if you have a saw that you can top feed with,( release the bottom of the blade, raise the blade and top arm, insert blade into next hole, fasten blade to clamp, tension blade and continue sawing). Sounds like you have a bottom feeder though. Most of us remove the hold down thing from the saw. Remove the blade from the top holder, raise the wood up, remove the blade and feed it into the next hole. You have to bend down somewhat to see where you can feed the blade into the next hole. Fasten blade to top clamp, tension and saw the next hole. The others have said it, practice, practice, practice, it goes fairly fast once you get the knack of it. Top feeders are easier but I did a lot of cutting with an old Delta that had wrench type clamps and was a bottom feeder. Good luck, Mick.
          Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

All of the above answers are very good and unfortunately that is the whole key to scrolling and using the saw is to practice and it will come easier. If I may add one other thing that was not mentioned when drilling your holes try to use a larger bit than the blade as long as you do not blow out the bottom where it carries over into the pattern lines. Use a backerboard when drilling hole so to minimize the blowout on the back side. After all when the section is fully cut no one is going to know what size starter hole you used.
            John T.

Comment

Good point John, might I recommend using a 3/8" drill bit, that should definately eliminate the hassles.
              Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.I have the Dremel 18 In. Scroll Station.Even though I am taking off the top and bottom I am still having fun. But I would like to reduce the time taking out the blade. I tried some things last night but with luck...im not sure if it's a bottom load or top load. I do still have the guard thing on should I take that off??Thanks

Comment

Try a Sharpie

Here's what I do to help me ---after I make all my pilot holes I sand off the burrs on the back then I use the tip of a Sharpie marker to dot the hole .. this helps a lot to locate those tiny little ones. I also have a lighted magnifying lense over my saw and the light helps too ...it is viewed from a sitting position but I do have to bend my blade a little . I always load my work on from the top since the bottom is harder for me ...I hope this helps some of you out there...

Comment

If your referring to the device that holds down the work , which my manufacturer refers to as a hold down foot and I refer to as the thing I immediately tossed in the trash, by all means, take the guard thingy off. If it's some other guard thingy it's probably best left in place.
                    Last edited by Plain_Ol_Ed; 07-28-2005, 12:09 PM.

Comment

the hold down thingie

To Plain old ed
                      You said to toss out the hold down ?
                      This is the first time l have seen some one saying this.
                      The hold down was the main reason l stopped scrollsawing.
                      Everyone one said it would put too much presure in the blade and it would snap in my face .l'm a chicken .
                      So the machine has sat for three years!
                      I'm gona do it ,even if I have to put on my welders face shield on to make me feel more cofident untill I get use to it.....hahaha here I go again.

thank you VERY MUCH Petal

Comment

Hi Petal

Welcome to the forum .

I don't think you'll find many people here who'll dissent with Ed's opinion. Hold down's just get in the way and should be dumped immediately.

Gill
                        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Hold downs

The worst hold down I ever had was on a dremel with 3" blades.
                          You know the one with the suction cups on the bottom to shake the kitchen table when you scroll.
                          The hold down was spring loaded. It would drop inside cutouts and screw up the cutting GRRRRRRR.

I think they had a use when blades were as thick as a Sabersaw
                          But I think things have improved a little over the years.
                          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

When I got my DeWalt, the first thing I did was remove the hold-down, then I put everything else together.
                            Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

I don't know anybody that uses it.

Bob
                              Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X