No announcement yet.

Red Oak--How to finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantasy & Legend Scroll Saw Puzzles is a great book.

I have only made one puzzle so far. (The hatchling dragon)

I made mine with pine and used Cherry Watco danish oil for the Dragon and the egg in Natural.

Turned out pretty nice.

I seem to have the most luck with danish oil but maybe one day I'll branch out and try something else. (Finishing is not my strong point )

Comment

Imawoodbutcher-

I'm glad that the puzzle you did was in pine and it looks good. I'm afraid my old Delta SS250 dosn't do hard very well ( I think the bushings are going) so I'll try mine in pine , also. How did you, if you did, round the edges? Used a flap sander? I can only find one in 80 grit -- seems abit course.

Thanks for all inputs,

-Bill
      -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

Bill,

I've heard that they sell refills for the flap sanders in finer grits. Barring that, I just used a bit of 220-grit sandpaper and hand sanded the edges...

Bob
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I just used sandpaper to round the edges. The pine is soft so it was easy.

Today I got brave and tried to make the Phoenix from the fantasy and Legend book out of Bloodwood and maple.

That was my first time scrolling 1" thick hardwood. Of course I had no packing tape to use so the sides got nice and burned.

I was going to sand it all off ( it's like sanding a rock) but I determined it added to the character of the piece...Phoenix got burned coming out of the flames

I have to say its definatley a much different experience. More fun to cut pine (and cheaper) but I admit the detail area is much sturdier with the hardwood.

Dan

Comment

Dan-

The Phoenix sounds great. I thought doing that one for myself. I bet the wood you chose look nice, too. I'm starting to cut the Hippogriff out of pine, when I get my new saw I'll try some hardwood.

Thanks everyone for the fab advice!

-Bill
            -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X