X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New scroller questions

Hi everyone,
    I'm posting this for another who has a question about scrolling:

"Hello, I am a first time visitor and I have a couple of questions. First, can I use Bloodwood as inlays for a cutting board (any issues if in contact with food)? Second, if I am finishing a bar top, and I want to fix a World series ticket in the finish, what should I finish with. I was thinking of using multiple coats of polyurethane, and I am curious if anyone knows whether that will work well. I don't want the ticket to discolor, and I want the final surface to be smooth over the edges of the ticket. Ticket will be under the surface of the finish.

If you want to send a direct email, that would be great, if there are idea's...don't know if I will ever find my way back here. Please pass along to other members for their idea's if you want, as I think it's only going to you. Thanks a lot. Email: [email protected]"
    www.GrobetUSA.com

John...There is a two part polyurethane finish that is perfect for imbedding objects such as coins or photos. I can't remember the brand name but it's available at most larger craft stores. I used it on the top of a bar I built several years ago. It's as clear and as hard as glass and scratch and burn resistant when dry. It's a mix and pour kit so you will have to position your cards where you want them using double sided tape to keep them from floating out of position. Read the directions on the package and you'll have no trouble. Hope this helps with that question. I don't know much about the toxic hazards associated with the various wood species so I'm no help there.
    If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Bloodwood would not be a good choice for a cutting board. I would stick with the usuals maple and cherry family.
      John T.

Comment

Toxic Woods

Don't use Bloodwood for a cutting board! Everytime you use it ... it will bleed all over the place.

(You got laugh sometimes)

You may want to check out potential toxic woods here:

http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm

http://www.riparia.org/toxic_woods.htm

http://www.ci.tucson.az.us/arthazards/wood2.html

http://old.mendelu.cz/~horacek/toxic.htm

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person.../_toxicity.htm

Comment

System 3 Mirror Coat is a two-part epoxy "bar-top finish" that is excellent for that kind of thing and practically indestructible.

Comment

Blade container?

With my new saw i got a few blades. i bought a lot of blades and already had a few blades.

is there a helpful hint in keeping them size tpi matched,,
            i was thinking a tooth brush travle container/s but couldnt find any that were see through?
            glass tubing would be great but breakable.?

any help here ?
            Dremel 1680 & Delta ss250 shopmaster

Comment

I bought some plastic blade storage tubes from Sloan's Workshop. You can get a dozen for under $4. I put labels on them so I can easily see what's inside. You can order them online at www.sloanswoodshop.com or at many other companies advertised in either Scroll Saw Work Shop or Creative Woodworks & Crafts Magazines.

Dan
              Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

Dan, it's good to see you posting again...finally. Did you ever get in touch with that club in Eagle River?

Let me know.
                Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by Max
                  I bought some plastic blade storage tubes from Sloan's Workshop. You can get a dozen for under $4. I put labels on them so I can easily see what's inside. You can order them online at www.sloanswoodshop.com or at many other companies advertised in either Scroll Saw Work Shop or Creative Woodworks & Crafts Magazines.

Dan
                  Thanks Dan,

I have bought special exacto blades which came in simular tubes and thought it would be nice if they were longer... apperently they do make them.....
                  thanks again..
                  thomp2
                  Dremel 1680 & Delta ss250 shopmaster

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by Rolf
                    So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                    I like the fact...
                    Today, 08:34 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by will8989
                    Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                    Today, 08:17 AM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by Sandy Oaks
                    Way to go, Betty. Our farmers market does not allow craft sales.
                    Today, 08:17 AM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by Rolf
                    Good for you! Who designed the small nativity?
                    Today, 08:10 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Supermax
                    by NC Scroller
                    Two great customer service stories on this forum in a week. There is hope. Even in 2020.
                    Today, 08:00 AM
                  Working...
                  X