Latest scrolling project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest scrolling project

All right, I'll admit it. My latest scroll saw project was cutting out a blank for a Welsh Lovespoon I'm going to carve. But to make it a good ss practice project, I treated it as if I wasn't going to carve it afterwards <grin>.

I learned several things:

1. Don't cut out the side profile on the bandsaw before cutting out the main profile.

2. If you do have a lapse of jusdgement and cut out the side profile before cutting out the main profile, take the time to sand it flush before trying to cut on the scroll saw.

3. Don't think it's a waste of time to change from a #3 blade to a #5 blade to cut out the outside of the spoon--it's a lot easier to cut along a line!

4. It's easier to use one hand to lift up the dust blower than it is to try to force the blower up using the ss blank

5. Just because you can use a big drill bit for the blade entry holes doesn't mean that you should--if it moves, you have a much bigger hole to deal with

6. If you don't think you can make a sharp turn, turn the saw off and come into the cut from the other side--else you run the risk of cutting into your non-scrap wood.

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

It looks like you are your own best teacher BOB. Keep it up and you will be scrolling with the experts in no time. Now this carving thing you talk about what is that?? Is that something to do with a turkey??
    John T.

Comment

Lessons learned

Welsh love spoon is a great carving project.
      As for the lessons learned, it is great that you share these with us. Seems so much cheaper to learn from someone esles experiance than it is from our own.
      One last thought. Since this is North American Occupational Health and Safety Week, Any lesson learned with fingers is tact is a cheap lesson, even if a person ruins a wonderful piece of wood.

Safe scrolling
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Gosh, Bob, you really learned a lot from one project. Now if you can learn that much from every one .....
        Thanks for pointing out your lessons, so we can all recognize it when we learn the same things.
        Happy scrolls (and carves) to you. (My apologies to Roy and Dale)
        Sandy

Comment

Well, I gotta split my time between (wood)carving and scrolling...

But this is for a wedding present--my friends moved their date up from a year from now to the end of this month...so I'll be busy. Who need to mow grass anyway <grin>.

Bob
          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Progress on the lovespoon

How goes the battle Bob?
            We are waiting with our mouth open
            I actually found a carved spoon this weekend at a garage sale. I thought of you straight away!
            I asked how much?
            I paid a whole two bits for it.
            Now I can't for the life of me see how people overseas can do such lovely work for the meager amount the recieve.
            Anyway, as soon as you post a pic of your handy work I will post a pic of the 2 bit one I picked up
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Well, it comes down right now to the new Return of the Sith playstation game or carving...and Anakin Skywalker always wins...

maybe when I beat the game a couple times...<grin>

Bob
              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Saw and carve

Saw and carve you must young Padawan
                Originally posted by BobD
                Well, it comes down right now to the new Return of the Sith playstation game or carving...and Anakin Skywalker always wins...

maybe when I beat the game a couple times...<grin>

Bob
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

A lightsaber would make the carving and sawing a lot quicker! But the stop cuts would be a bit tough <grin>

But it would be great lightsaber training!

Bob
                  www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Light Saber

but then everyone would think you just used a laser cutter.
                    two problems with laser cutters....although I wish I had one
                    First is they always burn the edges, even when you slow down the cut!
                    And the other.....what fun is it having the computer do all the cutting????

They do make an awesome business card though!
                    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Ok Carl, you shamed me into finishing a scrolling project I've been kicking around....another of Judy Peterson's puzzles "Owl Family"...

It's posted in my gallery!

Bob
                      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Hi Bob

It looks to be nicely cut, but just think how much better it would be if you were to introduce it to some abrasive paper .

Gill
                        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Well....we don't actually have that sorta beast here in the office...That'll have to wait until I get home...but I don't have a digital camera at home, so I thought I'd snap a photo here...

Bob
                          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

nice job

2Y's U R
                            2Y's I C
                            IC UR
                            2Y's 4 me

Hey try a paper bag. I got a lot of milage with that post
                            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                              by will8989
                              Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                              Today, 10:32 AM
                            • Sandy Oaks
                              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                              by Sandy Oaks
                              As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                              Today, 09:46 AM
                            • NC Scroller
                              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                              by NC Scroller
                              I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                              Today, 07:42 AM
                            • NC Scroller
                              by NC Scroller
                              I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                              Today, 07:39 AM
                            • Linda In Phoenix
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                              Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                            Working...
                            X