Help! I am having cutting problems with 3/4" hardwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I am having cutting problems with 3/4" hardwood

I don't understand. I have been cutting hardwood since the first day that I recieved my Delta Q3. The Delta is now retired until a Delta service center will authorize fixing it. I now use a brand new Excalibur 30" scroll saw. The lateral blade tracking is perfect, the table is perfectly square to the blade yet when I attempt to cut 3/4" Padauk I have problems controlling the cut and most of the time the blade catches the wood when I try to cut a sharp corner and slaps the wood up and down scaring the hell out of me while at the same time bending the blade. Does anyone have any idea why I am having problems with cutting wood with a new saw compared to the Q3? My only guess is because it cut the wood quicker and removed wood dust better due to the front to back movement of the blade.

Blade problem

Just a thought, is the blade in properly? A blade accidentally installed upside down won't cut properly and will cause the wood to be picked up from the table and "slapped" down again...

Jim
    Jim Paskett
    RBI HAWK 220

Comment

Ha

"slapped"

Very Good Term.

Comment

"Wood Slap"

Is the stock you're cutting flat? If the wood has even a slight cup keeping it from lying flat on the table it will tend to jump around, especially when using thick stock and larger blades. It will also remove some skin from from your hands if they get between the stock and the table!!!
        If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

And boy oh boy does it hurt when it slaps on your finger!!!
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

3/4" paduak can be very irritating dust so be sure to wear a good dust mask. It is a resinous wood so it will have a tendency to have splinters that can catch on the blade when cutting and if you are using a #5 or less blade this tendency increases. It will also burn making tight turns. As suggested check your blade direction, is there a speed control on that saw I am not sure but you want to saw speed as fast as you can control. As far as the aggresivness should not be a factor. I would try to use the largest blade I can on the pattern like at least a #7 or even a #9.
            John T.

Comment

slap...a...lap..a...ding..dong!

Ouch!

I too have had my hand slapped by Paduk! As John said, the character of the wood makes for control problems as well as "pinching" the blade. I can only say ditto with John's suggestions. I was sitting here thinking if I would add any other advice, ........ nope can't think of any more. You just have my empathy with the pain in the fingers!

DaddyCakes

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                by will8989
                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                Today, 12:20 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                by Linda In Phoenix
                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                by will8989
                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
              • Sandy Oaks
                by Sandy Oaks
                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
              • NC Scroller
                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                by NC Scroller
                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                Yesterday, 07:42 AM
              Working...
              X