My first scroll project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first scroll project

This is a picture of the very first results from my scroll saw. I know I have work to do, but I was so happy that they look pretty much like they are supposed to, that I had to brag!

For those of you that aren't baseball fans (shame on you! ), they are Minnesota Twins logos.

I merged in a picture of what they are supposed to look like for some reference.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by schmidty; 09-07-2008, 06:52 PM.
    Schmidty

The truely wise man is the one who knows that he has much to learn.

Can't say I like your work too much, being an Angel fan. LOL.

Ok, really. Great start Schmidty! You picked two of the hardest things to do with a scroll saw: Straight lines and curves. Both look good. Keep it up.
    The Journey is the Reward

Kevin

Comment

that is a great first project. and so glad you shared it with us. the lines look pretty good to me. nice job. your friend Evie

Comment

G"day Schmidty,
        Great first job.
        My first 1 no, maybe 10, ended up in the bin. I thought I'd never get the machine to do what I wanted it to.
        I have one suggestion, well not really a suggestion just an idea, that helps make 3d drawings, like the one you copied, be more like the original when cutting.

I've modified your pic to show what I mean, it's a lot simpler than trying to explain it.
        Attached Files
        Regards
        John
        "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
        Some of my Stuff
        Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

Great looking. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.
          Mike C.

Comment

Cool, now you can cut and cut and cut! It wasnt that scary after all was it?For a first cutting, youve done great, straight lines are always a challenge.
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Thanks for all the support, guys (and gal!) Like many of you said, staight lines are tough! I think I will back off on my practice exercises and just cut a bunch of straight lines for a while!

John, thanks for the idea. I will try that tomorrow!

Kevin, I will keep practicing and send you a nice big Twins logo when I get better! HA!
              Schmidty

Comment

Hey, been a Twins fan all my life. Those buggers won 2 World Series, one in 87 when I was in Korea and another in 91 when I was in Germany... What's up with that anyways?

Tom
                Hawk G4
                http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00/ppuser/4243

Comment

Tom,

Maybe you should go overseas soon. I could go for another Twins World Series win! haha!!
                  Schmidty

Comment

Blue Jays here . What would it look like if there were 2 individual cuts , with one placed over the other ? Or Seattle Mariner's in a pinch . Nice work .
                    Roger

Comment

Those look cool schmidty.......but, but personally I think the Boston Red Sox has the greatest logo.
                      Just fyi......keep the cutting a personal thing cause you don't want to get into trouble with copyrights stuff. Post more pictures of your projects. We love pictures here.
                      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Hi Schmidty,
                        The logo looks good! I like Yankee pinstripes myself! From near Fargo, ND home of 61 Home Run King #9 Roger Maris!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidty View Post
                          This is a picture of the very first results from my scroll saw. I know I have work to do, but I was so happy that they look pretty much like they are supposed to, that I had to brag!
                          Nice cutting, especially for your first attempt. One suggestion. If you used solid wood you can add a little depth to the piece by carving a little of the wood away where the two symbols meet. Use a sharp blade (utility knife) to make the 'intersecting' line and then gouge out a section to make it look like the other symbol is woven beneath the other.

The attached image attempts to show this. For example cut a sharp vertical line to the left and right where the C joins the T. Make a tapering gouge starting about 1/4" away from the cut line and about 1/16" to 1/8" deep where the symbols join.
                          Attached Files
                          Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
                          Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

OK, everyone can laugh now....I'm the Yankee fan (more on that another time). Schimidty, nice first time piece! now that you have "the bug", you're not going to stop. One small word of advice...looking at the pix, I'd say, slow down. If you have a variable speed saw, slow that down too. Patience my friend, patience....... Keep it going!!!!!

Comment

Nice first one Schmidty. Mine is in the garbage. Those little indent cuts at the letter junctions that John B mentioned or the carving at the junction that Mike mentioned really make a piece pop more. As for the straight lines, here's a hint that I picked up on this board a while back and that really, really works for me.

Use your fingers and hands only to steady the wood but follow the line by slowly extending your arms as you move the wood into the blade. This seems to offer much more control and results in a much straighter line. If you try to use your fingers and hands only, the cut seems to wander much more.

sawdustus
                              A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                              George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• robdperry
                                New from Port Angeles Washington
                                by robdperry
                                Using the Forum to make a decision on purchasing my first scroll saw instead of a drone.
                                Today, 01:52 PM
                              • garryatpa
                                Reply to Vintage scroll saw identification
                                by garryatpa
                                Just looking at The New Scroll Saw Handbook by Patrick Spielman and found a picture of this saw on page 47. Make is unknown and photo was submitted by a Henry Aldinger. Is submitted as an early electric scroll saw.

Garry
                                Today, 01:40 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Clock hardware Kits.
                                by Rolf
                                A new member ralph123 left me a private message. Asking if I still provided kits for the Wooden gear clock in the Summer 2013 issue if SSWWC.
                                Ralph I sent you a private message.

Yes I do still make the kits.
                                Today, 08:49 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to A Bear In The Woods
                                by Rolf
                                I checked out that site and found a CNC/ SVG file for $1.99 plus $25 shipping! for a digital file NOPE....
                                Today, 08:38 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Phone call from son.
                                by will8989
                                Talked to him yesterday after he was coherent. Very fortunately, it was dc current. He said ac current and would have ended differently. And it wasn’t a house. It was a converter box in a marina located on a deck cut into a 20’ high steep bank. They had to climb a ladder to get to it. And they were...
                                Yesterday, 10:53 PM
                              Working...
                              X