Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrolled Unicorn

Hi everyone,
    I spent my lunch 1/2 hour scrolling today--just needed to do something with my hands... I scrolled the unicorn puzzle by Judy Peterson in the last issue of SSW...First a little background.
    I had a piece of Aspen sitting on my desk (left over from another project) that was about 4" wide and 12" long. So I decided to shrink the unicorn pattern down until it fit on the board..

here's what I learned (in a slightly humerous tone)...
    1. I'm not skilled enough to shrink patterns yet. In fact, I think I should enlarge any pattern I try by at least 200% (if not more!) If I could fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood on the scroll saw, I should probably use that. The little lobes in the puzzle and the mane and tail details were just too much--so I freehanded them!

2. Don't try to freehand. I ended up slipping more than once when freehanding the details. So I should have just cut them straight.

3. Don't use the bandsaw to cut too close to the outline. It cuts a lot rougher than the scroll saw and if you slip, it makes a bigger mistake.

4. It's good to get down close to see the line, but expect to jump when the blade breakes. That was the first blade that ever broke on me.

5. Find the foot pedal. i was too lazy to dig out the foot pedal for the scroll saw, so I jsut used the on-off switch. When the blade broke, I jumped back all around then rembered to shut off the saw.

6. Running the saw at a fast speed is great when cutting thick wood, but not good when cutting thinner wood wiht as little experience as I have.

7. Lobes don't have to be perfect to hold the piece together. Even though some of my puzzle lobes look like Salvador Dali's version of puzzle lobes, they still hold the unicorn upright.

8. Glue sticks work OK to hold the pattern off, but are a little more difficult to remove. I'll need to get some GOO GONE to remove the patterns...or some mineral spirits! But the pattern never came up when I was scrolling!!!

9. Put the puzzle pieces back together as you cut them. Otherwise, if any fall off your table, you spend 45 minutes looking for a lost piece when all the pieces are there!

As soon as I get the pattern off and the fuzzies cleaned off the pieces and the pieces finished, I'll post some pics, but until then...Happy Scrolling.

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Regardless of the few "learning moments" sounds like it was a good lunch.

Wish I could get away with that.

Comment

Bob.....try plain old rubbing alcohol to remove the glued on pattern. It evaporates rapidly and doesn't raise the grain on the wood. I got too much pattern adhesive on a portrait I did and didn"t have anything else on hand so I tried alcohol....worked like a charm!!!
      If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Hi Bob,

Hope you come on Friday to Branson. Will help you with scroll sawing maybe even on the Eclipse.

Mike M
        SD Mike

Comment

Well, Bob, enjoyed reading about your little adventure while at lunch today! Yes, that "PING" sound of a blade breaking is quite loud, isn't it? Still makes me jump. I read somewhere, the thicker the wood the faster the speed, the thinner the wood the slower the speed. Seems to work, also easy to remember. As for a foot pedal, I have never sawn without one, which is a good thing as I would probably just walk away with the saw running! As for the gluing, I usually put tape on my wood then glue on top of it. Saves alot of clean up time. I used to do it your way but one day, when I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing, I put the tape on the wood first, then thought Oh well may as well glue on top of it and that's the way I have been doing it ever since. No wood to clean up when you're done and you can use as much glue as you want to hold down the pattern. We should write a book about our "adventures at the scroll saws" I'm sure it would be a good one!!! LOL Now can you tell me how I can insert these smilies wherever I want them in my messages and how I can get different ones? Or is that another story? LOL
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Horay Bob

Now that is the kind of lunches I would like for sure. You have encountered I bet all the little nuances of scrolling in one session. Congrats!! Seriously though Bob take it as a next step. These are all learning things. I am sure the finished product is just fine and look forward to seeing it.
            John T.

Comment

Me Too!

Bob,

I just finished the same project. Well, sort of, I made mine into a 'Rearing Stallion.' Taking the Unicorn and the 'beard' off the horse. I cut mine out of hard maple. I have learned on this project to use nail files of different sorts to smooth the edges.

Oh, yea, I used my magnifying light for the first time. Guess what else will make you jump? When the blade breaks and the arm pops up and hits the light....wow! I'm glad that is made out of polymers and not glass

Comment

Thanks for the laugh!

I needed it.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
                  Hi everyone,
                  8. Glue sticks work OK to hold the pattern off, but are a little more difficult to remove. I'll need to get some GOO GONE to remove the patterns...or some mineral spirits! But the pattern never came up when I was scrolling!!!

Bob
                  Bob - best thing is that you got a project done!!
                  Try using a hair drier to warm up the glue - the pattern should slip off. OR, just moisten the pattern with water - works well too. These are the Elmers glue sticks you are useing??

T
                  Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Grizz,

You mentioned using your magnifying light for the first time, did that help? I have been putting off getting one because I am not sure how much it would help.
                    Redballjets

Comment

If it wasn't for magnifying lights I wouldn't be able to use a scroll saw, I would have cut all my fingers off.
                      Bob
                      Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

light

I would be lost without my magnifier lamp. Mounted it right to the saw and comes on with my foot switch.
                        Gotta see what I am cutting.

Comment

To Magnify or Not...that is the ???

redballjets,

Yes, the magnifying light did help. I'm at that age where my eyes are changing. When I wear my glass's I've no problems (yet) seeing close or far away. But when I have my contacts in I need to have reading glass's. I was just using the magnifying light as just a light...(which really helps take away shadows!) anyway.... I had left my reading glass's upstairs and being the lazy one, I thought I'd just try using the Magnifer.... It took a little get use to, but yes it really does help. At least for me it did. I think I'll even use it now when I have my regular glass's on.

Comment

Magnifier Lens

To those of you thinking of getting a magnifier I suggest and this is from experience is to get a good fluouescent lamp one. The ones the draftsman use. You can get them for around $50 -$60 I too use to use it for a light source but as I gotten older the eyes are not what they used to be so now I rely on it. I mention the flourescent ones because they do not cast shadows and are truer light than an incadescent bulb. They are a little more expensive but here again you get what you pay for.

To John (Jadings) I hope you are not using a flouescent magnifier with the foot switch. The reason is you will burn the ballast out quickly from the constant on and off. As a matter of fact even a bulb source the bulb will not last as long as normal because of the constant on and off unless you use a heavy duty rated lamp. Just a thought.
                            John T.

Comment

Heavy duty

Thanks John T

I have a heavy duty magnifier and yes it is incandesant. It is very convinient and I have not really noticed prematurly burning bulbs. My problem is I always seem to be hitting the darn thing with a piece of wood and breaking the bulb.
                              I may try the florecent one and mount it back a little further. Wont use the foot switch.

Thanks again

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X