Octagonal Jewelry Box, Issue 15, Summer 2004, p.17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octagonal Jewelry Box, Issue 15, Summer 2004, p.17

Has anyone tried making this box on p. 17? I have trouble understanding step 4 where you cut an "outer ring" and an "inner ring" of the lid liner. It seems to me that if you cut out a 1/16" and glue the interior cicular piece to the underside of the top you end up with a top that has a lot of horizontal movement [up to an 1/8"]. Is this what was really intended?

Dick

Dick,

That was written before my time here, but I think the 1/16" gap all around was intended to cover for an sloppy cutting. Since it is a jewelry box, the thought was that a tight fitting cover wasn't needed. If you want a tighter fit, I'm sure you could cut along the outer ring and then cut a little inside of the inner line. Alternatively, you could just cut along the outer ring wiht a spiral blade since that will give you a thicker kerf.

If you'd prefer to have a line to follow, just grab a compass and draw in a line between the two rings on the pattern.

Hope this helps

Bob Duncan
    Scroll Saw Workshop
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Jewelry Box

Bob,

My next attempt was just cutting one line with a #5 blade and I had trouble getting the top on. That's because I cant cut perfect circles! I took the cutout to my disk sander and got it to fit that way. Since I plan to make more of these I think I will give your spiral blade idea a try if I have them with me and if I can keep them cutting w/o breaking.

Dick
      Last edited by scroller_guy; 01-31-2005, 09:48 AM.

Comment

The disc sander was my next suggestion!

Bob
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Spiral Blades

Originally posted by BobD
          Dick,

That was written before my time here, but I think the 1/16" gap all around was intended to cover for an sloppy cutting. Since it is a jewelry box, the thought was that a tight fitting cover wasn't needed. If you want a tighter fit, I'm sure you could cut along the outer ring and then cut a little inside of the inner line. Alternatively, you could just cut along the outer ring wiht a spiral blade since that will give you a thicker kerf.

If you'd prefer to have a line to follow, just grab a compass and draw in a line between the two rings on the pattern.

Hope this helps

Bob Duncan
          Scroll Saw Workshop

Bob,

I just tried the spiral blade yesterday. I wound up with a "wavy" line in places. Not good. Glad I tried it on a piece of hardboard. I will need to practice more with the spirals before I feel confident to use them. It is more probable that I will put them away in a storage tube and ignore them.

Dick

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
            Reply to My lucky day!
            by tgiro01
            Connie & I got our first shot a couple weeks ago. Scheduled for the 10th for the second one.
            Yesterday, 09:40 PM
          • planeur
            Reply to Another Mid-Michigan Scroller
            by planeur
            Nice pieces, well done , I like that kind of bowls.

planeur
            Yesterday, 05:56 PM
          • Misouri Wayne
            Reply to My puffin coming home....
            by Misouri Wayne
            Nice combination of different art forms.
            Thanks for sharing.
            Yesterday, 05:02 PM
          • Quartz43
            Reply to My lucky day!
            by Quartz43
            My wife and I got the Moderna vaccine with our second shot last week. We had no reaction after the first shot but both of us had some body and fatigue for two days after the 2nd dose.
            Yesterday, 04:44 PM
          • JeffieK
            Reply to My lucky day!
            by JeffieK
            Here in Mid-Michigan, my wife & I (both 65) got our first shot - the Pfizer one - last Sunday; with our second one scheduled for March 21st. Both of us were a little fatigued that evening... went to be early. Next day, just had a sore arm where we received the shot. Hope it's that way with the second...
            Yesterday, 03:49 PM
          Working...
          X