My first and LAST attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first and LAST attempt

My gallery asked for a 17- 18" carving of a queen bee - who knows why.
    And I tried to do four fret work (is that the correct term?) wings made of 1/8" aircraft plywood. It was a MISERABLE job and I'll never try anything like it again. I can't believe the work you scrollers do on your clocks and things. Good grief.
    Attached Files

Re: My first and LAST attempt

Very cool Nancy...not only the wings but those flowers must have been a pain. Are those wood as well?

Comment

Yes, Bandaid -- the flowers are all very thin basswood or plywood I cut out in stacks on my scroll saw. I use HUNDREDS of them -- sometimes hundreds on one stupid carving. But they're quick and easy because no fretwork is involved and they don't have to be exact. Painting the tiny things is a bit slow and clumsy but I have that pretty much worked out.

Now, cutting out dozens and dozens and dozens of super thin snowflakes that aren't nearly the size of a dime........ well, I haven't conquered that yet. All suggestions appreciated.

Comment

Nancy

I have to say you did us scrollers proud. Yes it gives you an appreciation for doing fret work but you did a great job with this piece. When doing the wings you can stack 5 or 6 at a time so that will save you time there. Same goes for the snowflakes and flowers. Woodworking is not suppose to be a race. It is a relaxing hobby. If you are trying to rush this is where mistakes happen. Fine work takes time. Again nice job on this project for sure.
        John T.

Comment

I was hoping to hear from you John. The little flowers give me no problems. I do cut them out in stacks and they don't have to be neat, even, or straight.

The snowflakes ....... I cut them from stacks of 13 layers of 1/32" plywood tacked together with 1/2" brads in the waste areas. Anything sticky like tape is out of the question because trying to remove it will break the fine flakes. I know I'm going to lose lots of flakes to breakage anyhow. See photo.
          A very narrow blade is required to make the fine turns but the plywood is tough and 13 layers is pretty thick. Sanding is out of the question.

I want and need these little flakes but they're driving me flaky. Any suggestions appreciated.
          (I should add "Any suggestions appreciated" to my signature)

How you scrollers do it all is beyond imagining. I just bought my first issue of Scroll Saw Work Shop and want to do the intarsia wreath. LOL LOL LOL
          Attached Files

Comment

Nancy

Your picture of the snowflakes puts in prospective what you have to deal with in making them. I am sorry there are no short cuts for that and to stack 13 is quite good if you ask me. They are quite fragile that is for sure. I noticed something on your cuttings from the picture you like to use a continuous cutting tecnique in that you make inside corners and outside corners by spinning the wood . The more wood you cut and the smaller the blade the harder it is to spin the wood without over cutting or breaking the blades. I myself would use the relief method when cutting that much wood and that fragile of a piece. That is I would come into the corners and then back off and and take a small piece out next to that cut then spin the wood. It may take a little longer but the cuts are truer and less chance of breaking and or getting over cuts which I see on some of the thinner legs of the flakes. Relief cutting is explained in any beginners scrollsaw book. Just a suggestion.

Now to cheat the snow flakes if you know someone with a laser cutting setup they can do those or if you know someone who can make a mold and you can either cookie cut them or a mold to pour some plastics in and form them that way. But as far as cutting goes no easier way than stack cutting.

Again very nice work and don't be afraid to try the intarsia project you will do just fine.
            John T.

Comment

Thanks again John. I understand relief carving ... I use that with my band saw when I'm cutting on a chunk of 6" bass wood (which is one heckuva lot easier than 1/32" plywood!!)....I've just never used it on the tiny stuff. I'll give it a try.
              Surprisingly I rarely break a scroll saw blade - I just bend them to death. I have a big (30"? I'm too lazy to get up and go measure) Excalibur and I hate it. I had a little Hawk I miss more than I can say.
              I don't think I'd be interested in any laser cut or ready-made flakes. But I haven't been offered any. LOL
              Attached Files

Comment

Snowflakes

Oh my gosh Nancy - Your work is beautiful! Those snowflakes and flowers are just gorgeous. A testament to your talent and patience! Ever thought about contributing to our magazine? The snowflakes - even in a larger size would make a nice wreath!

Shannon Flowers

Comment

Good Grief, Shay -- Thank you, what a nice compliment, but I'm hardly qualified to offer anything to real scrollers. Changing blades is a major task and a challenge to my skills.
                  I'm a dedicated fan of Fox and would do anything asked -- but there are a bunch of more talented people out there.
                  I have made small flower wreaths to go with my "garden girls" but I haven't thought of snowflake wreaths. Brilliant idea !! Thanks. I can't wait to get started carving a Santa holding a big flake wreath --- a snowman with a flake wreath --- a POLAR BEAR !!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                    Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                    by will8989
                    The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                    Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by will8989
                    Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                    Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                  • tgiro01
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by tgiro01
                    Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                    Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                    Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Plastic puzzle
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                    Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                  Working...
                  X