Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turtle bank

Hello all,

Before I start going thru my late fathers magazines and books I thought I would start with my go to place. I need to make a bank in the shape of a turtle. I did a search here earlier today but didn't really find anything I needed. I also did a google search but the ones that showed as free I couldn't find the pattern they claimed was there for free. If someone could point me in the right direction that would allow me to make a bank I would certainly appreciate. So now I head for the basement and see if there is anything in Dads stuff that would allow me to get one built.

Dan

Paul Miesel (spelling) has lots of bank patterns and/or kits.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

If I got it right you are looking for a piggy bank for coins shaped like a turtle? Or rather something like a bank or bench? In the first case, I have some plans for little turtle ornaments I could enlarge with a hollowed-oit center to drop the coins in.

Comment

Yes, Ennobee I was asked to make a coin bank in the shape of a turtle for a little boys Christmas present. I've yet to come across anything in my books or magazines downstairs. If you could show me what you have I should be able to figure something out from there.

Jim, I had forgotten about Paul M. I wanna try and look in the next few days.

Dan

Comment

Just discovered your post. Here is my original plan for the mini turtles and then some rough and ready idea on how to turn this into a coin bank. I opted to use the turtle's mouth for coin slit and fix the bottom trapdoor with three woodscrews. No idea yet on the best width for the wood, but I was thinking along the llines of 1/4 to 1/2 in. craftwood for the base abd 1/8 to 1/4 fancy colored hardwood for the ornamental shell. May be you could refine the plan with different thicknesses of wood, or add more layers to give the turtle enough space inside to host some real money. ut that's all I have for now. besides I have to stop because my cat is prancing over my keyboard, demanding attention. so hope I could be off service

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McDonald View Post
            Paul Miesel (spelling) has lots of bank patterns and/or kits.
            You can find Paul's site here: www.meiselwoodhobby.com - I just checked, while he has several different banks I did not see a Turtle. However, you might be able to modify one of his other's to a turtle, of use to figure out how to modify what Ennobee has provided to get you there. The meiselwoodhobby site also has the "hardware" pieces and parts you can order to put together a bank. You might be able to fairly easily modify the lady bug or one of the other plans to be a turtle. https://meiselwoodhobby.com/Products....aspx?id=13243

He has plans for pigs, teddy bears, kittens, lady bug, bee, grass hopper, dogs, duck, dinosaurs, fish, frog and gator as well as some cars, trucks, and more but no turtles that I could see.

You could also check out the www.winfieldcollection.com site - they have quite a few animal banks - found here: http://www.thewinfieldcollection.com...s?keyword=bank - unfortunately however, they do not appear to have a turtle bank either. They do have several other turtle plans and perhaps one of those could be adapted to help create a turtle bank. They can be found here: http://www.thewinfieldcollection.com...keyword=turtle - the flower pot planter would be fairly easily adapted to be smaller and a bank perhaps.

finally, a quick google search turned up some images of some turtle banks (but no actual plans) - you can peruse those and get the basic idea to create your own from. From there, I did find this one here: https://woodworkersworkshop.com/store/Item/19_W3377 and this youtube video on making one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjOUyNvU3_c
            Melanie from East TN

Comment

I did take a quick look at Paul's site this morning. He does have a turtle bank. I just typed in banks, there was a category called river banks. It had an alligator, frog, and turtle. I want to show the person at work who asked me for the bank Ennobee's pictures that he posted here in this post. I did find the same youtube video that you talked about Meflick but I was unable to find the free pattern that was mentioned. It sounds like I didn't volunteer for any extra work either here at home or at my brother in laws so hopefully I can do some more searching. Thanks for the help and direction to look.

Dan

Comment

Okay. Guess I have to start making a piggy bank from my design then to see how I looks in real life instead of on paper. So come back in a couple of days to see some pictures.

Comment

Ps, I watched the video and I recall this specific pattern being a one-page feature in Scrollsaw Woodworking & Craft a while ago, I don't recall the magazine number, but it must have been two years ago - approximately. Let me go through my stacks of old magazines. May be I can give you the exact magazine.

Comment

Just finished the proof of concept for the turtle bank at least far enough to give an idea of the finished project. I included two coin slots to choose from: one in the back and one in the mouth. Currently the mouth can move out, which is something of an overkill, so I won't include that in the final version. I will keep the moving flippers as an option though.

​​​​​​I planned to give the finished turtle an intarsia shell of colored hardwood but ran out of time. I will post a picture once I got it cut and glued on. Until then, this pictures should already give you an idea

Comment

WOW.....Ennobee that looks great.
                      Scott
                      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Here is the turtle bank glued, sanded and shellacked. In the meantime I have some ideas on how to redraw the plans with àll the stuff I since found out. Of course with my Inkscape skills, drawing the plans may take longer then actually cutting the thing, even cutting the all-out demo version

Comment

Ennobee, I want to just take a moment and thank you for all your efforts. I will have to take a closer look at what you did next week. I am not only dealing with our first major snow storm here in South Dakota but after two long years my sister in law finally lost her battle with cancer Sunday night. At the moment there are just too many things on my plate. But thank you.

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan.
                            sorry to hear about your sister. I know 'Thoughts and prayers' are a bit of a cliché nowadays, but still, I wish you, your family and her family lots of strength and good vibes. May you always remember her for the way she lived, not for the way she died.

As for the turtle bank. Go ahead, take your time, that mightgiv me some extra days to get the actual plans ready and posted.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X