Pattern Makers???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pattern Makers???

Guessing there are no more pattern makers here any more. This place is a shell of itself from the old days.
    John T.

They may have aged out. I don't see any of their names on the other sites either.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
      They may have aged out. I don't see any of their names on the other sites either.
      It is funny you say that because I was talking to a few scrollers and they said the same thing. You have been around a good time and I bet you remember some of the MSN sites and there were scrolling sites all over. Many pattern makers. Slyvia's name came up JR RANGER as people knew her. She did many patterns for me over the years. There are some really talented pattern makers but they are not request pattern makers like back in the day. When this site was the old format it really was a hot place to discuss scrolling. Time marches on. Today if I make a pattern it something I patched together using parts from various sources. Anyway take care and happy scrolling.
      John T.

Comment

Numbers also tell a story. When I joined, there were over 600 members. As of this morning there are 117 and going down at the rate of about 5 a month. Very little new blood is showing. Friday I will be 91 and soon may join the missing members, but I still am enjoying the faithful ones that post.
        ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

When I first joined this forum we didn't have the competition of facebook etc. The software upgrade killed us, as it resulted in many spin offs.
          The younger scrollers, if there are any, do things differently.
          Birchbark (Russel) was another designer that absolutely amazed me.

91! I think that is the new 60
          Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
            When I first joined this forum we didn't have the competition of facebook etc. The software upgrade killed us, as it resulted in many spin offs.
            The younger scrollers, if there are any, do things differently.
            Birchbark (Russel) was another designer that absolutely amazed me.

91! I think that is the new 60
            First would like to say Happy Birthday to MT (sorry do not have a first name) I can only hope to make it to 91. Body is breaking down these days.

Rolf many of those spin-offs did not survive and thus we have less sites. I really hate FB format because nothing is saved from day to day and pain to follow. It is a "now thing." Just the way the world likes it. Post and be interested in only what is happening NOW. I agree the upgrade here was a killer. I know the hacking thing was bad and hurt but many have left and I do not know how many young people scroll these days. You see so many saws up for sale everywhere and that is many old timers.

You mention Birchbark, he just did a few patterns for me on the one site that is still pretty active and not sure if you are a member http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums There are some good pattern designers there and the site is active with many good scrollers. Stop by and say hello.

I can trace my beginnings into the world of scrolling through the patterns of the Berry Basket. ( Rick and Karen) They use to put out a black and white couple page pattern booklet and as they say from there the rest is history.

John T.
            John T.

Comment

Technology can be good or bad depending on who you are. when I like a site and you change it I can be put of
              by the fact I cant find things.. change can be good but you have to ask if its change for change sake or does it have a purpose. If you are changing things just to be bigger better and faster you can lose people in the process.

Comment

Aged out. Like that better than getting old. Most of what I “find” when I’m looking for something is by accident. I am always going through my back issues for patterns simply because it’s faster and I like a lot of what is in them. Sue Mey’s site is easy to use and I order lots from her. And I have lots of Fox Chapel pattern books. Faster than hunting on the sites. I do like Alex’s new pattern, so I will be ordering that.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I agree with alot said here. I think this site got wayyyyyyyy too technical and the format is a bear to follow. But who am I, I still use a flip phone and love it. I do not need to carry a computer in my pocket every day. Not interested in letting the world know where I am every second of the day and also getting neck problems from looking at the darn thing every second of the day.
                  John T.

Comment

JT I do belong to SSV along with multiple FB sites. FB connects me with many of my friends in the sports car world, Intarsia, Clock making etc.
                    I am a techno junky (took after my mother in that regard). My wife and I fought the smart phone thing for a long time. Hurricane Sandy changed that for us. the only way to connect in our area for quite a while was texting, everything else was down. So smart phones are not a must have for us. With family health issues we all need to stay connected.
                    Rolf

Comment

There use to be several pattern makers here, now there is hardly anybody here. The old format worked so much better than the new format. I use to check the forum daily but now if I look at it once a week or every couple weeks and don't see many new posts. One day I will just delete the forum from my bookmarks and fade into the sunset like so many others have.

Even with the new format the forum was fairly active but once we lost Mike it has never been the same. Nobody even starts Happy Birthday threads or welcomes new members anymore. Not sure who the moderators are anymore but if they aren't active and showing there are still signs of life here then it is no wonder why people aren't posting and joining.

Happy Birthday Floyd!!! Congrats on 91.Sorry its belated but I didn't see it until today.
                      Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

WOW! THANK YOU! TIM! Still some life left in the board.
                        ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

Tim you make some very good points. I as one of the moderators will try to do better.
                          Regarding welcoming new folks The only time I catch it is when I notice a very low post count and I don't recognize the name. I then ask them to introduce themselves.
                          Rolf

Comment

I have to admit I haven't been as active here as I probably should. I agree the upgrade caused a lot of the issues. One of my biggest disappointments is the Free pattern Vault. So many are not accessible any more. A lot of people really liked that about this site and now its not near as good. I do make some patterns and will try and pay more attention for requests to see if I can help.
                            Brian in the Four Corners

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X