Frame for cancer postage stamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame for cancer postage stamp

I am still new around here and don't know if this is the right place to ask but I am trying to come up with a design for a little picture frame that I could put a prostate cancer awareness stamp in. The stamp looks like this (1"w x 1.5"h):

A man I know that is dying of the disease sent me two of the stamps from his collection (yes, I've got the darn cancer too and he wanted to share) and I thought I'd make some kind of frame to show it in. I was going to make two - keeping one and sending one back to the gentleman who sent the stamps to me.

At first I was just going to cut a Celtic knot pattern around the boarder that I found on Steve Good's site and call it done but somehow that just didn't look good with the stamp to me.

I was thinking of doing something else to decorate the boarder of the frame perhaps with the blue awareness ribbon or the male symbol that is in the stamp in a corner. At first I was just going to cut a flat piece of walnut (has to be walnut - the prostate is shaped like a walnut) but now I am thinking I might do a little intarsia to give it a bit more depth and a little more color.

I am afraid my creativity is failing me at the moment so I'd appreciate any input or designs that might come to your mind.
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    I'll be in the shop
    www.andrewsviewoftheweek.com

That sound like a wonderful idea. Share it with us when you work it out.
    DeWalt 788

Comment

There is no picture here. Just a little red "X" So you need a frame to hold something 1" x 1.5"?

Russell

Comment

I'm still getting use to uploading on this site. I'll try again. The stamp is 1 X 1.5 and I trying to figure the frame. The two images I am playing with are the stamp and the ribbon. one if a .gif file and the other is a .jpg. Maybe there's a problem with the .gif or my first upload. Hopefully you can see them now.

Thanks,
        Andrew
        Attached Files
        I'll be in the shop

Comment

Well here is my idea. I think it is a tough one cause there are so many straight cuts. See what ya think. Hope it helps
          Russell
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice one Russell. Here is my idea.
            Don R
            Attached Files
            http://www.oldcrowwoodcrafts.weebly.com
            http://www.oldcrowscrollwerks.weebly.com
            Custom Made Scroll Saw Patterns

Comment

Russell,
              I like the idea but like you say the straight cuts make it harder. It would be nice to have more curves in the letters but I don't want to get to fancy with font type. I'll have to think about it a bit more.

Don,
              I like that too. I am wondering it it would work just as well with out the male symbol...

What do like about both is that neither is anything like I was thinking (more of a traditional picture frame). Thanks for the ideas.

Andrew
              I'll be in the shop

Comment

Hey Andrew, your screen name is one that logs into my account!!!
                Attached Files
                Don

Comment

That's just odd. Not sure how that could happen. How do we contact the site admin to check out what the problem is? I just created this account a couple of weeks ago. I would have thought that I couldn't create an account with someone else's screen name.
                  I'll be in the shop

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X