name train puzzle pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• name train puzzle pattern

I am trying to make a large name puzzle with 1, maybe 2 tabs holding each letter together. Is there a pattern maker for purchase like Steve Good has for name plates or is it all done free-hand? I am fairly new and not very confident with free-hand work yet. I would want the pieces to be about 5 inches tall and 1" or thicker. This is for a young child. Attached is a sample picture of what I am trying to do, but mine would be in all caps. The name would be JACKSON. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Attached Files

Not to my knowledge. You need to get the letters closer together when you create a pattern and then just free hand the locking tabs. You can draw them on the pattern first if that makes you feel better.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Toymakerpress.com have an alphabet train. I found them pretty helpful with any questions.
      Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

Hey Turkey. I like that, lol! See if this will help you out. Don
        Attached Files
        Don

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks, Don. I appreciate the pattern. Would you be willing to share the "how-to" of what you did? I might have others in the future who might want something similar after seeing this.

Comment

Yes. That's a great idea. I would love to know how the pattern was done.

I like the pattern.

Comment

I'll give this a try! This is how I make name puzzles using inkscape.

Type the word you want to use, and size to your needs. Then at the bottom of the page is the "Fill and Stroke" option, I delete the fill and set the stroke to red (makes it easier to see your blade) and "stroke style" to .5pts.
              Then with text selected click the "path" drop down box at the top. Select the "object to path", then under the "Object" drop down box, select "ungroup". All the letters should be seperated. Select the second letter and with the arrow keys move it to where it overlaps the first letter a little. Select the "create circle" button at the left and make it as big or as little as you want, overlap it on the first letter to your liking and hold shift and select the letter also and then under the "path" select "union". It should look like a puzzle piece now. Just repeat for each letter. Hope this is understandable! I hear there are tutorials in the forum also. Have fun! Don
              Don

Comment

Don thanks for the help. My first question is why are my letters in the text box going vertical? I have clicked on everything i can see and I cannot get the letters to go horizontal....I hate computers...
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Mike,
                  Select your text and click the "T" on the right side of the screen. When the format screen appears, on the left is the "layout options" make sure the horizontal button is selected.
                  Don

Comment

Hi

What font is "Jackson" in?

I like that font.

db

Comment

That would be "Vagabond" db. Don
                      Don

Comment

Thanks Don.

Got the font downloaded and now I'm off to try and do a name puzzle for my little nephew. Hopefully it's as slick as yours.

db

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X