Something for a Newborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something for a Newborn

Eventhough I can handle fairly complex projects, I'm still a rookie at scrolling, compared to most on this forum, so I am enlisting ideas from all of you. My son and daughter-in-law are having their first baby next month and I would live to make something for them, and for the baby. They are not finding out the gender until the birth, so I don't know if it will be a boy or a girl at this point in time. I was thinking of a hanging mobile or something - she has mentioned perhaps some shadowboxes for the nusery?!? The nursery is a jungle theme with silloettes of animals painted on the walls. Any ideas or references to some possible patterns to cut ???!!??

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your question.
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 08-25-2011, 10:54 AM.
    ichibob
    aka - Bob, USAF Ret.
    www.grandpaswoodshed.com

I'd try some silhouettes, you can do a Google search for jungle animal clip art and find enough to keep you busy until you retire. Babies 1st Christmas ornament, this is non-gender specific. Steve has one on his site.

Look through our vault you may find some items in there that strike your fancy as well.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Something for a Newborn

Thanks Mike
      ichibob
      aka - Bob, USAF Ret.
      www.grandpaswoodshed.com

Comment

How about making some animal puzzles and as the baby gets older they can paint themselves with grandpops help.
        Mark
        Proud new owner of an EX-21

WWW.MGMWOODWORKS.COM

Comment

Newborn

Hello Mark - Thanks for the input... puzzles are a given, I've already made a couple of those. I was thinking of something special to commemorate the new birth. Perhaps a 'keepsake box'... what do you think?
          ichibob
          aka - Bob, USAF Ret.
          www.grandpaswoodshed.com

Comment

How about a toy box?
            "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hi Bob, I have a standard gift I make for new babies. Sheep banks which seem to go over very well.

Sheep bank.JPG

Sheep bank from the side.JPG

Made from the book "Wooden Banks You Can Make" by Harvey E. Helm. You might consider them.
              Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

I had a request for a shelf for a new-born's room.
                The proud parents own a dairy farm so, they wanted that as
                the theme. I just used clip art for a silo, a cow, a barn, and a
                wind-mill as the back of the shelf.
                They really enjoyed it and it gives them added wall space for
                odds and ends.
                I suppose you would call mine shaker style with wedges holding
                the shelves onto the side supports and it was 3 shelves measuring about
                2' x 2' x 9" deep when completed.
                God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

To Mike Cathy and Spirithorse...thank you for your inputs. I have to decide and start making some dust soon. Baby is due 30 Sept. I'll try to remember to post the end result of whatever I make. Thanks again.
                  ichibob
                  aka - Bob, USAF Ret.
                  www.grandpaswoodshed.com

Comment

Hey Bob, don't know exactly what you're wanting, but I'm making this for a lady where my girlfriend works. Got a place for his picture and all the stats. Maybe? Don
                    Attached Files
                    Don

Comment

That's pretty cool Don. Is it something you designed - if so, what program did you use? How big is it?
                      Bob
                      ichibob
                      aka - Bob, USAF Ret.
                      www.grandpaswoodshed.com

Comment

Thank you. Yes I designed it, I used Inkscape to make it. It's roughly 14" x 9". It's pretty simple. Here's the finished frame. Don
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by tdub4ever; 08-29-2011, 10:07 PM.
                        Don

Comment

Something for a Newborn

Ahhhh - that picture of the frame answered my question. Nice concept and pattern - thanks for sharing your ideas with me. I just recently downloaded Inkscape and started playing with it, when I can sit down from remodeling the kitchen for my wife! Ha Ha.
                          ichibob
                          aka - Bob, USAF Ret.
                          www.grandpaswoodshed.com

Comment

Don,
                            That is a great frame.
                            "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Don - that's a wonderful project/gift!
                              DeWalt 788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                                I like the fact...
                                Today, 08:34 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              Working...
                              X