Pattern for compacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pattern for compacts

My wife was going thru my old wood magazines looking for ideas of things I should make. She found some small wood mirror compacts that were done on a lathe. She thought they were cute and I should make some. Well, I don't have a lathe. Is there a way to do these with a scroll saw? Has anyone seen a pattern for doing these? It looked like two round discs, possibly curved with a mirror inside and the two pieces swiveled apart to gain access to the mirror.

Dan

Perhaps you could post the page photo . I'm sure someone will figure out a method .

Roger

Comment

I'll try and remember to bring it to work and post it. I keep thinking I've seen something along that line but can't remember where I saw it.

Dan

Comment

Try cutting a backing and then a frame overlay. Glue the overlay to the backing and then fix the mirror inside it.

Comment

Sans lathe, I'd do what Magic said. You can shape the outside with sanding tools like bowl makers do. Taking this beyond something you can do on the lathe you could spiff it up with an inlay on the top.

--Rob

Comment

After looking at the picture a little closer I'ld say Magic is right. I don't have a Forstner bit bigger than 1". The local Radio Shack\Craft store has some 2" diameter mirrors. I'm thinking a 2" frame, maybe an 1/8 thick border and a backing 2 1/8 in diameter. Obviously I didn't look close enough when she showed me because it doesn't appear to have a cover. I wonder if you could make a second blank with no frame and place a dowel there for the two pieces to swivel apart..

Dan
            Attached Files

Comment

I made a hand mirror using 3 layers of wood.
              The front, the back and a ring with an inner diameter of the mirror.
              You could make a cover using a wooden hinge of contrasting wood.
              here is a picture of the back of the hand mirror
              Hand Mirror - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Photo Gallery
              I just used plywood and the laminations made a nice outer edge.
              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
              "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
              Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Really nice on that hand mirror, Carl. A lot of really good cutting and a pretty design--winning combination all around.
                Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow Carl that is impressive. The new issue of the magazine finally came to the news stands here yesterday. I found the wooden hinge compact interesting. I've read thru it twice and and still don't quite understand some of the directions but I'm hoping to make one and see if she likes that one.

Dan

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• robdperry
                    New from Port Angeles Washington
                    by robdperry
                    Using the Forum to make a decision on purchasing my first scroll saw instead of a drone.
                    Today, 01:52 PM
                  • garryatpa
                    Reply to Vintage scroll saw identification
                    by garryatpa
                    Just looking at The New Scroll Saw Handbook by Patrick Spielman and found a picture of this saw on page 47. Make is unknown and photo was submitted by a Henry Aldinger. Is submitted as an early electric scroll saw.

Garry
                    Today, 01:40 PM
                  • Rolf
                    Clock hardware Kits.
                    by Rolf
                    A new member ralph123 left me a private message. Asking if I still provided kits for the Wooden gear clock in the Summer 2013 issue if SSWWC.
                    Ralph I sent you a private message.

Yes I do still make the kits.
                    Today, 08:49 AM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to A Bear In The Woods
                    by Rolf
                    I checked out that site and found a CNC/ SVG file for $1.99 plus $25 shipping! for a digital file NOPE....
                    Today, 08:38 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Phone call from son.
                    by will8989
                    Talked to him yesterday after he was coherent. Very fortunately, it was dc current. He said ac current and would have ended differently. And it wasn’t a house. It was a converter box in a marina located on a deck cut into a 20’ high steep bank. They had to climb a ladder to get to it. And they were...
                    Yesterday, 10:53 PM
                  Working...
                  X