Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolf
    replied
    Thanks for the heads up on the upgrade. I have used PSP since it first came on the market. Never enough to take full advantage, I hope that will change now that I am retired.

Leave a comment:

• Woodtography (tm)
    replied
    Anyone else that uses Corel PaintShop Pro x8, they have released a new update (service pack 2):

http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/support/updates/

Leave a comment:

• jim_mex
    replied
    For the quickest and most intuitive powerful llustration software which includes basic bitmap editing and a great price my program of choice remains after many years - almost 20! - to be Xara Photo & Graphic Designer. IMHO the best vector graphic illustration software out there backed with an amazing forum and support website at www.xaraxone.com

Download a trail version from xara,com and check out the tutorials on xaraxone and you'll soon get hooked

In the early years of its development Coreldraw road on the back of Xara and poached many ideas from what at the time was a little know UK based company but whereas Coreldraw and Adobe Illustrator became overbloated with an infinite variety of panels and a steep learning curve Xara stayed simple, powerful and incredibly fast enabling it to be used by novices and professionals alike. To see just how powerful it can be look at the artist galleries on xaraxone.

Leave a comment:

• Bittersweet
    replied
    Originally posted by Woodtography (tm) View Post
    1. Corel PaintShop Pro x8 - 64 bit. / Wacom tablet
    2. Adobe Illustrator CS5 for vector projects

I've used the same as you Nicola and was an Adobe instructor (Photoshop, Illustrator, Pagemaker, Premiere) for DoD.
    I like Adobe products in that there were a lot of free plugins and support from 3rd parties and forums.
    That said, Photoshop is now bloated and slow on even the fastest 'puters, and you can only purchase a cloud subscription product since CS6 (no CD or hard installs). I would use Photoshop Elements if I were on a budget.

We were required to install software on standalone workstations, given the environment, so I changed over to PSP X7 a couple years ago.

PSPx8 works flawlessly on win10 and is super-fast with an Intel x64 processor.

For the budget conscious, you can't go wrong price wise with GiMP and Inkscape (both free) and there are a lot of instructions and tutorials for the type of work we do on the scroll saw.

Those of us with Windows already have a built in editor. MS Paint, in its current iteration, is a good quick and dirty editor. At least in Windows 10...

Wow! This is great. Thank you so much. I will look into the ones you suggested and might have a question or two.

I no longer use a computer but just use my iPhone but I need some of computer and printer

Thanks Joe

Leave a comment:

• Woodtography (tm)
    replied
    1. Corel PaintShop Pro x8 - 64 bit. / Wacom tablet
    2. Adobe Illustrator CS5 for vector projects

I've used the same as you Nicola and was an Adobe instructor (Photoshop, Illustrator, Pagemaker, Premiere) for DoD.
    I like Adobe products in that there were a lot of free plugins and support from 3rd parties and forums.
    That said, Photoshop is now bloated and slow on even the fastest 'puters, and you can only purchase a cloud subscription product since CS6 (no CD or hard installs). I would use Photoshop Elements if I were on a budget.

We were required to install software on standalone workstations, given the environment, so I changed over to PSP X7 a couple years ago.

PSPx8 works flawlessly on win10 and is super-fast with an Intel x64 processor.

For the budget conscious, you can't go wrong price wise with GiMP and Inkscape (both free) and there are a lot of instructions and tutorials for the type of work we do on the scroll saw.

Those of us with Windows already have a built in editor. MS Paint, in its current iteration, is a good quick and dirty editor. At least in Windows 10...

Leave a comment:

• Bittersweet
    replied
    I know this is an old thread but I'd like to resurrect it. In the past I've used Coral Draw, Photoshop and Adobe but this is a great thread with new ideas.
    I'm sure even in 2 years there's been advancements made in all kinds of software.

Leave a comment:

• jim_mex
    replied
    This question comes up frequently on the forum.
    To answer it first ask yourself - what type of pattern do I want to produce?

If you wish to produce a line drawing from an image where you are tracing on top of an existing picture to obtain a result similar to that found in a children's coloring book then a vector based illustration program is going to be the easiest route to follow. Programs such as Inkscape (free), Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, Xara Designer are ideal for this purpose. The same programs can also be used to produce a line drawing pattern from scratch.

If you wish to produce a portrait type of pattern by manipulating an existing photo image then you need to use a bitmap based image editing program such as Gimp (free), Photoshop, Corel Paintshop Pro.

Note - more and more vector illustration programs and image editing programs are drawing closer to one another and often in the higher end commercial programs it is possible to produce both types of patterns albeit with some effort, but generally speaking it is usually simpler and easier to choose one or the other type of software which is more specific to your pattern making needs.

Free or commercial, these two types of software programs tend to operate similarly within their functions and having learned one particular software program , whether vector or bitmap based, it is relatively simple to switch to another of the same type.

Tutorials abound on the web for both techniques and here on the forum you can find many in the Sticky threads listed at the top of this particular section.
    Last edited by jim_mex; 03-26-2014, 09:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• matador5
    replied
    Hi ABlade,

There is GIMP 2 and there is also Paint NET they are pretty
    good to use. Paint Net is very easy simple to use and where
    GIMP 2 has a lot more you can do with it. I have been using
    theses for years. Every time I use them I find new things I
    can with them. I hope that helps.

Cheers Graham.

Leave a comment:

• davem_or
    replied
    I use Pattern Wizard. Been using it for years. It's technically for Stained Glass (which I use to do) design but it works equally well for Intarsia and I would imagine for fretwork also.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• cwmagee
    replied
    Norm,

Sue Mey has a tutorial for Photoshop elements on her web site. Yesterday I downloaded it to try out. Last evening I made my first attempt at making a pattern from a photo, which came out reasonably good. With additional practice I feel that I will be able to produce patterns of my own.

cwmagee

Leave a comment:

• hotshot
    replied
    Photoshop for me. -------Randy

Leave a comment:

• Br4nd0n
    replied
    quality patterns are made with photoshop.... I am using photoshop and adobe illustrator

sample pattern....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Br4nd0n; 03-09-2014, 06:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sunlion
    replied
    Thanks @theframer

Strange it wont DL, or Print from the Scrib panel. Will check that out.

Try this InkscapeTutsc - Download - 4shared - Steve Wright

Just checked and it will print straight from site, just not download, so above link be best to DL. (Will probably put a direct link on the site when I get time so people can DL a .pdf version at some point).

Steve
    Last edited by Sunlion; 02-14-2014, 07:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• theframer
    replied
    Sunlion,

Sorry, I don't know your fist name, thank you for the tutorial. You did a great job explaining the steps you took, and I am wondering if you wouldn't mind posting the tutorial somehow so I can print it on my home printer.

When I tried to print from your site, I get a warning that the function has been disabled. I am very bad on the computer, so I may very well be missing some kind of command /instruction on how to print.

Thank you again for sharing.

BE WELL

Leave a comment:

• Sunlion
    replied
    I use Inkscape to create my patterns, using the Bezier Function. It is very difficult to use in-app functions alone to create patterns, or line art to build patterns from.

I created an easy to follow (hopefully) tut.

Creating patterns using Inkscape - Sunlion PyrographyCreating patterns using Inkscape - Sunlion Pyrography
    Last edited by Sunlion; 02-07-2014, 09:29 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• leehljp
    Reply to coronavirus conversation
    by leehljp
    From a "Pen" forum:
    Wife, calling out from another room: "Do you ever get a stabbing pain in your chest, you know, like someone is sticking pins in a Voodoo doll with your image on it?"

Me: No, Why?

Wife (about 5 seconds later) "How about now...
    Today, 08:59 PM
  • Linda In Phoenix
    Reply to Ice Cream
    by Linda In Phoenix
    That's adorable! I haven't received my copy of that issue yet. I think it went slow truck this time. When I do I am going to check that out!
    Today, 08:28 PM
  • Linda In Phoenix
    Reply to Why can I find..
    by Linda In Phoenix
    From what issue? This crayon is dull, but I'd like to help look.
    Today, 08:26 PM
  • Barb.Enders
    Summer issue patterns
    by Barb.Enders
    It was great to receive the summer issue today as the snow squalls were flying I was very excited to copy to try the fretwork Parrot by Charlie Dearing. I have spiral blades on order and should be receiving them soon as well. Did you mean to cut the last bit of tail off. It looks odd that it has...
    Today, 06:35 PM
  • will8989
    Why can I find..
    by will8989
    the extra balloon pattern from this issue? We know I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, my daughter's words, but I've searched for it on here and scrollersawer.com and nothing. Help!!
    Today, 12:37 PM
Working...
X