No announcement yet.

Best Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is an old thread but I'd like to resurrect it. In the past I've used Coral Draw, Photoshop and Adobe but this is a great thread with new ideas.
    I'm sure even in 2 years there's been advancements made in all kinds of software.

Comment

1. Corel PaintShop Pro x8 - 64 bit. / Wacom tablet
      2. Adobe Illustrator CS5 for vector projects

I've used the same as you Nicola and was an Adobe instructor (Photoshop, Illustrator, Pagemaker, Premiere) for DoD.
      I like Adobe products in that there were a lot of free plugins and support from 3rd parties and forums.
      That said, Photoshop is now bloated and slow on even the fastest 'puters, and you can only purchase a cloud subscription product since CS6 (no CD or hard installs). I would use Photoshop Elements if I were on a budget.

We were required to install software on standalone workstations, given the environment, so I changed over to PSP X7 a couple years ago.

PSPx8 works flawlessly on win10 and is super-fast with an Intel x64 processor.

For the budget conscious, you can't go wrong price wise with GiMP and Inkscape (both free) and there are a lot of instructions and tutorials for the type of work we do on the scroll saw.

Those of us with Windows already have a built in editor. MS Paint, in its current iteration, is a good quick and dirty editor. At least in Windows 10...

Woodtography - photography in wood
      http://www.Woodtography.com

Comment

Originally posted by Woodtography (tm) View Post
        1. Corel PaintShop Pro x8 - 64 bit. / Wacom tablet
        2. Adobe Illustrator CS5 for vector projects

I've used the same as you Nicola and was an Adobe instructor (Photoshop, Illustrator, Pagemaker, Premiere) for DoD.
        I like Adobe products in that there were a lot of free plugins and support from 3rd parties and forums.
        That said, Photoshop is now bloated and slow on even the fastest 'puters, and you can only purchase a cloud subscription product since CS6 (no CD or hard installs). I would use Photoshop Elements if I were on a budget.

We were required to install software on standalone workstations, given the environment, so I changed over to PSP X7 a couple years ago.

PSPx8 works flawlessly on win10 and is super-fast with an Intel x64 processor.

For the budget conscious, you can't go wrong price wise with GiMP and Inkscape (both free) and there are a lot of instructions and tutorials for the type of work we do on the scroll saw.

Those of us with Windows already have a built in editor. MS Paint, in its current iteration, is a good quick and dirty editor. At least in Windows 10...

Wow! This is great. Thank you so much. I will look into the ones you suggested and might have a question or two.

I no longer use a computer but just use my iPhone but I need some of computer and printer

Thanks Joe

Comment

For the quickest and most intuitive powerful llustration software which includes basic bitmap editing and a great price my program of choice remains after many years - almost 20! - to be Xara Photo & Graphic Designer. IMHO the best vector graphic illustration software out there backed with an amazing forum and support website at www.xaraxone.com

Download a trail version from xara,com and check out the tutorials on xaraxone and you'll soon get hooked

In the early years of its development Coreldraw road on the back of Xara and poached many ideas from what at the time was a little know UK based company but whereas Coreldraw and Adobe Illustrator became overbloated with an infinite variety of panels and a steep learning curve Xara stayed simple, powerful and incredibly fast enabling it to be used by novices and professionals alike. To see just how powerful it can be look at the artist galleries on xaraxone.
          Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Anyone else that uses Corel PaintShop Pro x8, they have released a new update (service pack 2):

http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/support/updates/

Woodtography - photography in wood
            http://www.Woodtography.com

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the upgrade. I have used PSP since it first came on the market. Never enough to take full advantage, I hope that will change now that I am retired.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X