Silhouette pattern making - advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silhouette pattern making - advice please

Hi, I am currently struggling to learn Gimp, and I wondered if anyone had any better / easier ways to turn a pattern into a silhouette.

Ideally I would like to be able to use photos (for instance of my pigs and chickens) to create silhouettes suitable for key racks, coat racks and so on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Just google the image you want...
    chicken silhoutte images This is what I typed into google bar.

This is the result...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...w=1024&bih=655

Does not get much easier than that...
    Grandfather to 5!

Comment

Ah yes, but since most, if not all, of the images are copyright I cannot use them. I have even tried to find out who the copyright holder is on some of them, but it is very difficult!

Chris

Comment

Hi Wilder - if you just want a straight forward silhouette pattern you would be better off using a vector based program like Inkscape, CorelDraw, Xara Photo & Graphics Designer or Illustrator. All you then need to do is learn how to draw a simple vector line around your subject which presumably you will have a photo image of.

Of the programs I mention Inkscape is a free open source program which will deliver the goods without too much of a learning curve. For information on how to use it check out the tutorials in this thread, in particular the first two tutorials;

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/scroll-saw-design-tutorials/27899.htm

Although these talk about drawing a pattern over an image you can use exactly the same approach to draw a silhouette. If you need any help just shout - or rather, type!
        Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
        - Albert Einstein

Comment

Thank you Jim, I will have a look and see how I get on.

Comment

I agree, Jim's tutorials will get you going and when you run into a problem just look back. I renamed my files by what they covered to make it easier to find an answer. Maybe it'll help you too.

Comment

Here is another scroll saw site with Pattern Making info: Scroll Saw Village
              They cover a lot of stuff.
              Got Moose?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X