Platter Rim Scrolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platter Rim Scrolling

I'm new to scrolling so my aspirations may be much larger than my abilities. I would like to scroll the rim of a platter I am making on my lathe. Something like "Happy Anniversary," etc. Question is, how do you get the pattern placed around the rim? I have been looking for a way to bend? the pattern so it will fit the rim. Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. I have Photoshop Elements and Inkscape. If something else is required please let me know. I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

Many Thanks,

Phestus

The only thing that comes to mind is to print out the pattern, then snip between each letter from the top almost down to the bottom (not cutting it completely off) and then curve the whole thing to the degree that you need. Not cutting the letters completely apart should maintain the distances between each letter so they remain equal.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and scrolling Phestus! I am not familiar with those two programs, so maybe some others that are will chime in later.

However, I do use some other software and to 'bend' the text is fairly simple, once you get the hang of it. In CorelDraw you draw a circle the size you need (rim of the platter). Type your text and then click on both and select 'fit text to path'...check and see if you have a smiliar feature within your programs. Then you can adjust the space between the text and the path so it sits below...I hope that makes sense. Otherwise, if you send me a PM with the dimensions, wording and font you would like I could send you a pattern to use.

Good Luck!
      ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

You can also use Microsoft Publisher, if you have it. That's what I used for most of my patterns before I met InkScape! If you want to use InkScape, make two circles to get the rim size. Then type what you want click on text and the cirles and in the text drop down box click "put on path". If you have any questions let me know. Don
        Last edited by tdub4ever; 10-08-2011, 11:06 AM.
        Don

Comment

Thanks for the answers. I'm going to take a look at Inkscape. I also have a very old version of MS Publisher which I will try to dig up. Gotta get going on my project. Thanks again...

Phestus

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X