Inkscape ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inkscape ???

What is Inkscape and where does one get it?
    I was reading about useing GIMP to make patterns with and one has to use Inkscape. I've never heard of it.
    I downloaded GIMP and it looks extremely complicated to use. I have Adobe Photoshop Album starter edition 3.2 and Microsoft Picture It Photo 2002 but I'll bet neither one of those will do me a bit of good, Right? lol

bma

Try here.
    Inkscape. Draw Freely.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by bma View Post
      What is Inkscape and where does one get it?
      I was reading about useing GIMP to make patterns with and one has to use Inkscape. I've never heard of it.
      bma
      BMA,

You are not required to use Inkscape to make patterns using gimp. Inkscape does a great job doing a final cleanup if a pattern but it is not required. If you haven't done so already I would watch the video tutorials found on this site to learn how to use Gimp and/or Photo Shop. Both Gimp and Photoshop work almost the same.

This is the tutorial I put together
      http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/scr...ials/22400.htm
      CHRIS

http://www.members.cox.net/messman123/messman.htm

Comment

Inkscape is free, easy to use and, even better, there is an entire tutorial done by our own Jim_Mex tucked away in the stickies in the pattern section. I have used photoshop and find inkscape to be comparable in pattern making........and it doesn't cost $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Jan

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am having problems getting things to load. I just now was able to read my post and your replies. I am trying to download Inkscape, it doesn't seem to want to though. I would love to watch a video tutorial but being on dial up it would never load for me to watch it.
          I assume the two picture programs I already have installed other than GIMP are all but useless. Right? Is there any other info put in simple laymans terms, not in video form I can read to help me making my own patterns?
          Thanks again,
          bma

Comment

Go through the tutorials in the top of this section some of them are written out tutorials. As far as the other two programs, I could not comment on them because I do not have them. Sorry
            CHRIS

http://www.members.cox.net/messman123/messman.htm

Comment

Originally posted by bma View Post
              Thanks for the info. I am having problems getting things to load. I just now was able to read my post and your replies. I am trying to download Inkscape, it doesn't seem to want to though. I would love to watch a video tutorial but being on dial up it would never load for me to watch it.
              I assume the two picture programs I already have installed other than GIMP are all but useless. Right? Is there any other info put in simple laymans terms, not in video form I can read to help me making my own patterns?
              Thanks again,
              bma
              bma,
              I think your problem with downloading Inkscape could be due to the file size and using dialup.

Gimp CAN BE USED BY ITSELF for making patterns and does work.

Here is a portion of a tutorial I made several years ago. I am posting just the portion you would need for using Gimp by itself. Someday I will update that tutorial with pics along with the descriptions. I also removed the info on this tutorial for Adobe Elements since, in my opinion, it is not as easy to use and the original tutorial needs modifications made to the Elements portion.

1. Open GIMP and go to File and Open

2. Find your file you want to make a pattern with and "double click" it

3. Your image should be displayed on the screen

4. Go to the toolbar and select "Image" ..."Mode" ..."grayscale"

5. Your image should now be a grayscale image

6. Now pick your "paint fuzzy brush tool" (I call it the paintbrush)

7. Make sure you select the white color and start removing the background with that paintbrush.

8. You can vary the size of the paintbrush by selecting the "black dot" by the word "Brush".

9. You also have the option at the bottom of the page to zoom in on the picture to refine your cleanup. (At this time you are only interested in cleaning up the unwanted background) (It is important to remove this since it has an effect on the next steps)

10. Now that you have your background removed, click on Filter, Artistic, and Photocopy

11. Your Photocopy window is better viewed if you maximize the window to full size by clicking on the square in the upper right corner of that screen.

12. Here is the handiest tool in GiMP. You can manipulate the potential pattern with the sliders. I try to pay close attention to details like the eyes, ears, nose, and lips to get what I want. Do not worry about any unwanted skin tones or blotches that you do not want in the pattern. We will remove them next. PLEASE NOTE: If you can NOT get a good balance of all items in your pattern, you will need to use LAYERS which is a totally different topic.

13. Click on OK in the Photocopy window and you should be returned to your main pattern with the changes that Photocopy has made.

14. Now start using your Paintbrush and the white/black colors to cleanup your pattern and tie all parts together. You will use both the white and black ink to perform this. Be sure to change the size of the dot for more accuracy.

15. Once you have the pattern the way you think you want it, pick the Paint bucket and the black color. Now click in the white background to flood the the black color on the picture. If you have all floaters removed, the picture should be completely black.

16. You now need to "UNDO" the flood tool by clicking on the Edit tool and clicking UNDO. The keyboard command Ctrl Z will do the same thing as UNDO. PLEASE NOTE: CTRL Z is your FRIEND!!

17. Continue touching up your pattern and using the Flood tool to see if anything is left and then undo.

18. When you have your pattern the way you want it, click on File and Save As, Name your pattern and use the JPG format.

You should now be finished with GIMP.

Good luck,
              john s

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I will not worry about Inkscape then.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X