X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jim_mex
    replied
    Hey Rob - just read your pm. Thanks pal!

They say that "great minds think alike".... could be dangerous though - LOL!

Great explanation with your drawings!

Just for added info - When responding to Mick's cry for help I used exactly the technique you describe to produce my locks. Then, after getting into some problems of not being able to visualize exactly where on a woodimal type pattern to place the locks, I used the copy a lock, place it in place , tweak the lock and then combine technique to speed up the process

I suppose that if I had have had a printer at home and had been able to pencil in locks positions on a printed pattern then I would have used a drawing as a guide to draw locks on the PC using node manipulation. Since I don't have a printer I came up with this workaround.

This method does have another advantage. You could create an Inkscape file with a 'library' layer containing all sorts of pre-drawn lock shapes such as the ones you show, along with any figurals etc and then use this file as a template to start off any new pattern which would be drawn on a different layer. Your pre-drawn locks would then always be instantly accessible to you without getting in the way of your pattern. Once a pattern is finished the library layer could be deleted out of the way before saving your file.

Thanks for diving into the thread and helping out

Leave a comment:

• Arcy
    replied
    The same idea can make less traditional locks. If it weren't so late I'd probably give them a bit more of a back angle on the neck.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Arcy
    replied
    Here's my shot at manipulating the nodes: I don't like the copy, paste, combine method so well since it seems to be more work once you've tweaked them to be different yet still flow. It may not be so bad if you don't fuss over them as much as I end up doing

Step 1: add two anchor points where you want to grow the lock.

Step 2: pull out a nub between those points to work with

Step 3: add two more anchors to separate the neck from the head of the lock

Step 4: twist the control rods to form the head into the lock
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jim_mex
    replied
    Drawing decent looking locks drives me nuts
    Tell me about it Rob! I'm having the same problem. Drawing them is easy, getting them to look right in a woodimal is a different issue!

One trick I tried last night which seemed to work was to draw a standard looking lock and make several copies of it. Then I take a copy and 'combine or add' it to a part I want to create the lock on.

If you use this technique for all of your locks it makes life a lot simpler, plus you can tweak a little the copies to increase, decrease or stretch them a little to give some variation. It seems to me that this is also a much faster way of drawing the locks than manipulating nodes on paths of the shapes you want to create locks on.

I guess you also know that it's a lot easier to do this in Xara rather than Inkscape!

I'll get that tutorial posted later today once I can remember how to use Inkscape again - LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Arcy
    replied
    I'm interested in what you come up with here, Jim. Drawing decent looking locks drives me nuts - much easier to just freehand cut 'em! When I have to draw them in I do it by pen (digital or otherwise) and then I can push the nodes around in Xar^H^H^HInkscape to fit.
    --Rob

Leave a comment:

• tvman44
    replied
    Thanks woodnthings, don't think I would have ever found that without some help.

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    tvman...look at the top of this page in the stickies section...

Scroll Saw Design Tutorials - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board

Leave a comment:

• tvman44
    replied
    I still can't find the first 4 tutorials on using Inkscape. Sure wish I could as I would love to learn to use it so I could make my own patterns. Any help finding them would be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    Thank buddy I appreciate the effort. it was really simple before I just sent dale or Jim an e-mail and they personalized em for myself and several other folks. Now unfortunately Dale has been stricken with a devastating disease and Jim--- well he retired and sold all his patterns to FC. They don't have the ability yet to personalize em for us.

The tutorials are stickies in the tutorial section...

Leave a comment:

• tvman44
    replied
    Where are the first tutitorials, I searched on SSW and could not find any thing else about Inkscape by jim_mex? Are they by someone else?

Leave a comment:

• jim_mex
    replied
    Hi Mike - sorry I was late in picking up your question

Give me a few days and I'll knock up an add on to this tutorial - if I can remember how to use Inkscape - LOL!

The technique is actually simple when you know how - like most things!

If you go to my first couple of tutorials where I talked about combining shapes and the one where I traced a penguin these show you how to manipulate shapes by 'tweaking' their nodes and pulling their curves in different directions and then cutting one shape with another - grasp these techniques and you are almost there.

I'd tackle the problem this way:

To form an interlocking puzzle first squash a couple of text letters closer together so they practically meet. Then convert the letters into editable shapes and distort them a little, and fine tune the curves where they meet each other, then add nodes to one of the letter shapes curve and distort these to pull out and form a ' male' interlock shape from the curve. Next clone the letter shape with the interlock and use the clone to cut out the 'female' interlock shape from the adjacent letter shape. Piece of cake - LOL!

Have I lost you? - probably!

Best wait for the tutorial and I'll make it really simple for you to understand

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    Jim,
    I just watched this tut and am wondering how you would add locking tabs as in a puzzle? Since jim Sweet retired and sold his woodimals to fc I have not found anyone able to make these puzzles for me Dale who makes puzzimals has become ill. Frieke is helping but she is having to learn how as well. If she has to learn I thought I'd give it a go as well. Can you save inkscape images as a file other than svg?

Leave a comment:

• jim_mex
    replied
    Of course it works! hahaha!
    Well done!

I don't think you can create a texture toolbar. What you could do is to create a base file with a lot of layers with imported bitmaps of different woods on the layers. Maybe 4 rectangles on each layer, which you have already converted to patterns. You would normally leave these layers invisible

Start your drawing on a new layer or layers and when you need a woodfill browse the layers where you have your bitmaps (converted to patterns) stored and copy the one you want to use. Then paste it into the layer you are working in.

Alternatively, and I think simpler. Keep your bitmap wood effects in a special folder on your computer and just import them into Inkscape whenever you want them.

Remember, the secret to Inkscape is to use some imagination and develop the techniques that work for you

Leave a comment:

• Philou
    replied
    Hello Jim,

it works !

Do you know if it is possible to create a wood texture toolbar ?

Philou
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Philou; 03-02-2010, 04:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jim_mex
    replied
    Hi Philou - ref the pause button in tutorial 6. I have checked it and it is working ok.
    Try downloading the file and opening it up in your internet browser or use a free flash player like Swiff Player. If you have already downloaded it previously try downloading it again

Ref the wood texture. Inkscape is a little limited for newcomers in how you can use bitmaps. The program I use for drawing, Xara Xtreme, allows you to fill any shape with a bitmap image, so do programs like Coreldraw and Illustrator, however, here is one effect you can achieve easily in Inkscape

To produce this effect choose the Fish layer of your finished tutorial file and import into the layer any bitmap image - for example a wood effect bitmap from the web or a scanned image of real wood

The imported image will show as a rectangular bitmap

Place the bitmap 'under' the fish outline using the Object - Lower to Bottom option

Resize this bitmap so that it is a little larger than the fish outline

Select the bitmap and from the Object menu choose the Pattern> Object to Pattern option. This converts the bitmap image into a rectangle which you can now interact with.

Select the Fish outline and holding down the shift button also select the rectangle

Now choose the Path >Division option. this will cut the fish outline into the rectangle

Select the outer area of the rectangle and delete it. Voila!

In my tutorial you will need to move the eye and pupil to the foreground so they are above the fish body. Then go to the text layer and fill the text with white and no stroke. You could also get the same visual effect by moving the text to the fish layer and then cutting it out of the fish image using the same Division command - but once you do this it would be hard to edit the text afterwards!

Hope this helps you
    Last edited by jim_mex; 03-02-2010, 02:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• leehljp
    Reply to coronavirus conversation
    by leehljp
    From a "Pen" forum:
    Wife, calling out from another room: "Do you ever get a stabbing pain in your chest, you know, like someone is sticking pins in a Voodoo doll with your image on it?"

Me: No, Why?

Wife (about 5 seconds later) "How about now...
    Yesterday, 08:59 PM
  • Linda In Phoenix
    Reply to Ice Cream
    by Linda In Phoenix
    That's adorable! I haven't received my copy of that issue yet. I think it went slow truck this time. When I do I am going to check that out!
    Yesterday, 08:28 PM
  • Linda In Phoenix
    Reply to Why can I find..
    by Linda In Phoenix
    From what issue? This crayon is dull, but I'd like to help look.
    Yesterday, 08:26 PM
  • Barb.Enders
    Summer issue patterns
    by Barb.Enders
    It was great to receive the summer issue today as the snow squalls were flying I was very excited to copy to try the fretwork Parrot by Charlie Dearing. I have spiral blades on order and should be receiving them soon as well. Did you mean to cut the last bit of tail off. It looks odd that it has...
    Yesterday, 06:35 PM
  • will8989
    Why can I find..
    by will8989
    the extra balloon pattern from this issue? We know I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, my daughter's words, but I've searched for it on here and scrollersawer.com and nothing. Help!!
    Yesterday, 12:37 PM
Working...
X