This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inkscape tuts 5 & 6 - clock face and 'woodimal' type figure

Hi folks - In answer to a couple of questions I've seen on the board or have been asked about directly here are a couple more Inkscape video tutorials

The first covers how to draw a clock face pattern and focuses on how to create circular frames and accurately position items like the hour numerals.

The second, which is a fun piece I really like doing, shows how to create woodimal* type figures - i.e. animals or geometric shapes with text inside them

These are simple patterns but once you know how to produce these patterns the sky's the limit for future works of art - or maybe for my fish-imal I should say the ocean's the limit

Simple Clock face pattern

Inkscape Tutorial #5-1 - creating a clock face pattern part 1 - creating a layout drawing

Inkscape Tutorial #5-2 - creating a clock face pattern part 2
    - creating the clock pattern

Fish with text

Inkscape Tutorial #6 - deforming text inside a shape - a Woodimal* type of pattern

Note - *Woodimal is a registered name created by Jim Sweet

March 02, 2010 - Update for tutorial #6
    - reply #12 in the thread gives instructions for obtaining this effect after completing the tutorial

Last edited by jim_mex; 03-02-2010, 03:42 PM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Nice job once again Jim......now I just have to watch it 10 more time to have it stick to my pea brain, but its fun to learn new stuff. THANK YOU!
    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Thanks Jim !!!
      Another great tutorial.
      Eric

Liberty Twp (Cincinnati), OH

If today were perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow!

Comment

Great tutorials, Jim.

It's good of you to go to the trouble .
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Thanks Jim.

Rhys

Comment

Thanks Jim .You are making my life easier.Keep giving us more tutorials.it`s very good of you to sacrifice your time to help others.
            Carmel Sammut
            samca412.

Comment

Hi Carmel - this is definitely no sacrifice on my part!. My only real problem is keeping one step in front of you guys with Inkscape

Just glad these tutorials are proving to be useful

Cheers to all!
              Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Jim
                I have been looking for some good design software and I just downloaded Inkscape this past weekend. Last night I figured out how to turn a digital photo into a sketch. Tonight I viewed the two clock tutorials (great info). Maybe I can get my next pattern quickly created - LOL. My last pattern took about 5 months to create and only a month to cut. Of course I only have about an hour each night to work on the pattern/cutting, but I want to spend more time infront of the saw instead of the computer.
                www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

Thanks Jim,

I followed the clock's tutorial and made the same on Inkscape. I learned a lot tonight.

Philou

Comment

@Tango - I agree with you, spent more time on the saw, less time o the computer. i hope these tutorials help in that respect

@Philou - Great work! You have past the next obstacle and will soon be an expert!
                    Last edited by jim_mex; 02-28-2010, 10:57 PM.
                    Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Hello Jim,
                      Tutorial 6 is done :-)
                      My fish looks strange but it doesn't matter. I have a little problem : there is no "pause" button any more on the video, like in the tutorials 1 to 4, wich was very usefull to stop the video while I was doing the exercice.

I have a big question about drawing software : do you know if it is possible to create wood textures from wood pictures ? It would be very usefull to have as many textures than wood essences and to create a toolbar with these textures to fill in a "preview pattern".
                      I think that it is possible with GIMP, but it is a very big and complicate drawing software for a beginner like me.
                      Thanks

Comment

Hi Philou - ref the pause button in tutorial 6. I have checked it and it is working ok.
                        Try downloading the file and opening it up in your internet browser or use a free flash player like Swiff Player. If you have already downloaded it previously try downloading it again

Ref the wood texture. Inkscape is a little limited for newcomers in how you can use bitmaps. The program I use for drawing, Xara Xtreme, allows you to fill any shape with a bitmap image, so do programs like Coreldraw and Illustrator, however, here is one effect you can achieve easily in Inkscape

To produce this effect choose the Fish layer of your finished tutorial file and import into the layer any bitmap image - for example a wood effect bitmap from the web or a scanned image of real wood

The imported image will show as a rectangular bitmap

Place the bitmap 'under' the fish outline using the Object - Lower to Bottom option

Resize this bitmap so that it is a little larger than the fish outline

Select the bitmap and from the Object menu choose the Pattern> Object to Pattern option. This converts the bitmap image into a rectangle which you can now interact with.

Select the Fish outline and holding down the shift button also select the rectangle

Now choose the Path >Division option. this will cut the fish outline into the rectangle

Select the outer area of the rectangle and delete it. Voila!

In my tutorial you will need to move the eye and pupil to the foreground so they are above the fish body. Then go to the text layer and fill the text with white and no stroke. You could also get the same visual effect by moving the text to the fish layer and then cutting it out of the fish image using the same Division command - but once you do this it would be hard to edit the text afterwards!

Hope this helps you
                        Last edited by jim_mex; 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM.
                        Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Hello Jim,

it works !

Do you know if it is possible to create a wood texture toolbar ?

Philou
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Philou; 03-02-2010, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Of course it works! hahaha!
                            Well done!

I don't think you can create a texture toolbar. What you could do is to create a base file with a lot of layers with imported bitmaps of different woods on the layers. Maybe 4 rectangles on each layer, which you have already converted to patterns. You would normally leave these layers invisible

Start your drawing on a new layer or layers and when you need a woodfill browse the layers where you have your bitmaps (converted to patterns) stored and copy the one you want to use. Then paste it into the layer you are working in.

Alternatively, and I think simpler. Keep your bitmap wood effects in a special folder on your computer and just import them into Inkscape whenever you want them.

Remember, the secret to Inkscape is to use some imagination and develop the techniques that work for you
                            Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Jim,
                              I just watched this tut and am wondering how you would add locking tabs as in a puzzle? Since jim Sweet retired and sold his woodimals to fc I have not found anyone able to make these puzzles for me Dale who makes puzzimals has become ill. Frieke is helping but she is having to learn how as well. If she has to learn I thought I'd give it a go as well. Can you save inkscape images as a file other than svg?
                              "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                              Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X