Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pattern making with Gimp or Adobe Photoshop Elemements by John S.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• countrycrafts
    replied
    gimp

Hi guys I manage great until I get to paragraph 12 then i don't get any further.Ican clean it up even but How do you get from the line drawing to the pattern.Am I loosing it .Mal

Leave a comment:

• marshall
    replied
    Thanks Kevin for passing this along , and I don't want to forget to thank John S . also . For I'm sure this will aid me in the my future wooden portrait making , I copyed and pasted it for my files > again thanks so much .........Marshall

Leave a comment:

• Rhinoman
    replied
    Question

I tried this method with Elements, Version 6 and got to step 12 and ran into a problem. I found the "photocopy" option under the "image" menu, but when I apply it there are no sliders to adjust the image. There isn't really enough detail in the image for my pattern and it's really pixelated at this point. Is there a way to manipulate the "photocopy" image in Elements?

Is there a "trace" function in elements that can convert the file to a vector graphic?

I have a lot of ideas for patterns, but so far I haven't found a good method of making them without using tracing paper.

Leave a comment:

• shadylady0447
    replied
    Thanks for posting this John S. I will try it with photoshop.....I need some guidance with that program!

Leave a comment:

• newbeescroller
    replied
    Thank you so much for this. Although I never met him, this is helping me to make a pattern from an old picture of my Grandpa. If it works, I plan to make one for my Dad, and I'll post the result here.

David S.

Leave a comment:

• Chase
    replied
    Pse

This, I'm going to try. Hopefully it works with a Mac

Chase

Leave a comment:

• Pattern making with Gimp or Adobe Photoshop Elemements by John S.

Thanks to John S. for sharing this tutorial.
    Pattern Making Using Gimp or Adobe by John S

Here are the steps with GIMP, but the same applies to Adobe Photoshop Elements. It is almost exactly the same. GIMP is a free software program that can be downloaded from the Internet.

1. Open GIMP and go to File and Open

2. Find your file you want to make a pattern with and "double click" it

3. Your image should be displayed on the screen

4. Go to the toolbar and select "Image" ..."Mode" ..."grayscale"

5. Your image should now be a grayscale image

6. Now pick your "paint fuzzy brush tool" (I call it the paintbrush)

7. Make sure you select the white color and start removing the background with that paintbrush.

8. You can vary the size of the paintbrush by selecting the "black dot" by the word "Brush".

9. You also have the option at the bottom of the page to zoom in on the picture to refine your cleanup. (At this time you are only interested in cleaning up the unwanted background) (It is important to remove this since it has an effect on the next steps)

10. Now that you have your background removed, click on Filter, Artistic, and Photocopy

11. Your Photocopy window is better viewed if you maximize the window to full size by clicking on the square in the upper right corner of that screen.

12. Here is the handiest tool in GiMP as well as in Adobe Elements. You can manipulate the potential pattern with the sliders. I try to pay close attention to details like the eyes, ears, nose, and lips to get what I want. Do not worry about any unwanted skin tones or blotches that you do not want in the pattern. We will remove them next. PLEASE NOTE: If you can NOT get a good balance of all items in your pattern, you will need to use LAYERS which is a totally different topic.

13. Click on OK in the Photocopy window and you should be returned to your main pattern with the changes that Photocopy has made.

14. Now start using your Paintbrush and the white/black colors to cleanup your pattern and tie all parts together. You will use both the white and black ink to perform this. Be sure to change the size of the dot for more accuracy.

15. Once you have the pattern the way you think you want it, pick the Paint bucket and the black color. Now click in the white background to flood the the black color on the picture. If you have all floaters removed, the picture should be completely black.

16. You now need to "UNDO" the flood tool by clicking on the Edit tool and clicking UNDO. The keyboard command Ctrl Z will do the same thing as UNDO. PLEASE NOTE: CTRL Z is your FRIEND!!

17. Continue touching up your pattern and using the Flood tool to see if anything is left and then undo.

18. When you have your pattern the way you want it, click on File and Save As, Name your pattern and use the JPG format.

You should now be finished with GIMP or Adobe.

19. Open Inkscape and click on the ICON on the toolbar on the right end. It will have a wrench and a square sheet of paper underneath it. If you hover over it, it will tell you "edit properties of this document".

20. Set the Default units on this window to "in"

Make sure the dropdown window above "fit page to selection" is set to "in"

The Width to 7.00

The Height to 9.00

Make sure there is a checkmark in the Show Page border checkbox

Now make sure you click in the window that has the width set to 7.00(you do need to click in this window as a final step before closing)

21. Close that window

22. Go to File and "IMPORT" and find the file you saved in GIMP or Adobe Elements and double click on it. (these steps with Inkscape are the same no matter what program you saved your pattern in)

23. Your pattern should be displayed in that window

24. You will need to resize your pattern so it fits within the "paper" that is displayed. Hold down the Ctrl key and click on one of the corners and resize your pattern to fit within the white page. You can move it around by clicking inside the pattern and move it where you want.

25. Now go to the toolbar and click on Path and Trace Bitmap

26. Make sure the Brightness cutoff is checked and set your threshold between .500 and .800. You can click on "preview" to see if the changes are too dark or light. I have had good luck using .550 to .750.

27. Make sure that Smooth and Stack Scans are both checked

28. Now click on OK

29. You may not know it, but there will be two copies of your pattern on the screen. To verify, click on the top one and drag it to the side. Look closely to determine which one was the original. Usually it is the bottom one but that is not guaranteed. Right click on the "original" and "delete" it.

30. You should now have the "new" document to save.

31. Click on File, Save As, and name your file, select the folder you want it in, and select the format to be "PLAIN SVG (*.svg)

For using Corel PSP go to step 32 and for Gimp go to step 38

32. You are now done with Inkscape and will need to open Corel PSP OR GIMP (go to step 38 for GIMP instructions)

33. In Corel PSP, click on File and Open and find the file you just saved with the .svg extension, double click on it.

34. Your file should open and display.

35. Now for the final time flood the screen with the Paint bucket to make sure you do not have any floaters. To UNDO this click on CTRL Z and then fix if needed with the paintbrush.

36. Use the text tool to add your name to the pattern.

37. Click on File, Save AS, and save the pattern as a GIF format. GIF is best since we are using only two colors and it reduces the bit size of the pattern to save disk space. It is also good so that you can keep your allotted memory on the MSN forums at a minimum.

You are now done if you used Corel instead of Gimp after step 31.

FOR USING GIMP after Step 31

38. You are now done with Inkscape and will need to open GIMP again.

39. In GIMP, click on File and Open and find the file you just saved with the .svg extension, double click on it.

40. Your file should open and display.

41. The file may have the checkerboard background on it

42. To get a white background, click on "Layer" "New Layer" and check "WHITE" and "OK" ;DO NOT PANIC WHEN YOUR PICTURE TURNS COMPLETELY WHITE STEP 37 will remedy that

43. Click on "Layer" "Stack" and "Layer to Bottom"

44. Click on "Layer" and "Merge Down"

45. Now for the final time flood the screen with the Paint bucket to make sure you do not have any floaters. To UNDO this click on CTRL Z and then fix if needed with the paintbrush.

46. Use the text tool to add your name to the pattern.

47. Click on File, Save AS, and save the pattern as a GIF format. GIF is best since we are using only two colors and it reduces the bit size of the pattern to save disk space. It is also good so that you can keep your allotted memory on the MSN forums at a minimum.

48. You are now done.

Good luck!

John

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X