About My Shells.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pajaro View Post
    I like them........ Don't know what Id use them for.... But I like the idea.....
    Ever see the movie Demolition Man ? You have to make 3 shells though!
    Jeff Powell

Comment

Originally posted by workin for wood View Post
      Ever see the movie Demolition Man ? You have to make 3 shells though!

Yes and no thanks lol

www.pajarostudiowns.com
      Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
      One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Comment

Article on Shells

Bob d : Can't wait to see this article in SSW & C magazine . Its niece that an old Arkansas boy is hitting it big time , congra Steve !!! Marshall
        Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

My latest attemt

Hi Steve, here is my latest attemt at making a shell. This one does look like the Horn of Plenty. I did this one backwards from what you suggested in that I started from the outside working in. I used the narrow inside of the larger one to draw the line to cut then next smaller one. I used a 16 degree slant on the table this time and it gave me 12 sections. Now I just need to finish shaping it and try to finish this one. I have a long way to go to get to where I can cut the 20 or more sections that you do to make the complete shell.

I want to thank you for agreeing to do an article in SSW&C in the future. I will look forward to seeing that.
          Attached Files
          Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
          and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Bill,
            You're doing a great job! Yeah, I forgot to mention that you can start on the large end and work towards the point. My shells have between 20 and 24 segments in one turn, and they continue beyond that to make 2 or 3 turns. In a way it seems kindof pointless to continue the shell interior beyond what you can see or feel by reaching inside but since I always start at the small end it just works out that way. People usually ask how many turns it makes inside. It is more than what meets the eye.

An interesting thing to do is to trace both edges of the outline of each segment (section) onto paper as you work. Keep them all oriented the same so the inner edge of one section is the same as the outer edge of the next smaller segment. This will end up looking like a distorted dartboard and helps visualize the "growth rate" from the thin edge to the thick. You wouldn't want to use this as a pattern unless the wedge angle and the bevel angle are exactly the same as used on the shape it was made from.

Marshall - Thanks! Don't know yet which issue it will be in. Today Bob is sending an information packet and I have a lot to do between now and then. Bill is making progress fast and might just figure it all out before the magazine comes out. Let's see if the engineer can figure it out.
            Last edited by Steve Garrison; 10-10-2008, 11:11 AM. Reason: Added a sentence to the end.
            Steve Garrison

www.stevengarrison.com

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Garrison View Post
              Bill is making progress fast and might just figure it all out before the magazine comes out. Let's see if the engineer can figure it out.
              LOL!!, No I don't think I will get it all figured out, but I will keep working on it a little when I get time.
              Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
              and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Thanks both Steve and Bill!

Steve, your ideas and execution are amazing.

Between Steve's description and Bill's pictures I think I see where this is going. I'm definitely looking forward to the article, and echo the request for more pictures.

--Rob

Comment

Pictures.

I have added some pictures of my shells and helix forms in the scroller gallery. Steve Garrison Gallery - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Photo Gallery

I've got more shell pictures on my computer I will be posting there, just a matter of finding them. Thanks everyone for the input. This is a great forum!
                  Steve Garrison

www.stevengarrison.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X