Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planeur
    replied
    Thanks to all !πŸ˜€ Will give him later in June.
    And Scott , for the moment and in summer time lest time in the shop because lot of others outsides activities ( gardening, biking, walking ) !
    And I am working very part time on this project , already show you : https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/...wood-lampshade , how I will do it and which pattern etc.

Have a good week

planeur

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    You did a great job!

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    That came out just great. I think you have raised the bar for all of us. Now what is your next challenge?

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    replied
    What a unique piece. Love it!

Leave a comment:

• Linda In Phoenix
    replied
    Very cool. It's coming along nicely. Love the way you did the foot area! If you want to kinda test what the piece will look like once you put a finish on it, brush it with mineral spirits. It brings out the natural richness of the wood mimicking a bit of what oil or other clear coats would do. Plus mineral spirits dries without staining.

Leave a comment:

• planeur
    replied
    IMG_1880 (2).JPG
    Tadammmmmm ! 😁

The covid Angel is now ready to please my brother in law , with a funny face different, that I found while trying to be funny, and a kind that Marc will like I am sure. πŸ˜‰
    And Marc is our Covid Angel and my brother in law !

The hair is a β€œ wood application” that we put on a panel or furniture etc.

The entire piece is in cherry, the covid ball ( with small nail ) and eyebrow are in Bubinga , the eyes are in Amarant wood .

Have a lot of fun doing it, and learn a lot the way how to sculpted, but still have a lot to learn. I found that (for me ) sculpturing need that you have to be very calm and each scalpel or tool strokes must be calculated and never in a hurry 😲!

IMG_1892-1.jpg

Finish with Osmo oil satin.
    Thanks again for your supports and advises, I am not yet a sculptor but know more now the ability of those artists !

planeur

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Looking good. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Leave a comment:

• planeur
    replied
    Hello angel fan !
    Sorry to had let you wait so long for the following.....
    πŸ˜‰πŸ˜

Well sculptor is something , and more on small piece, that what I am discovering, probably because of y lack of experience ! So I did my best till today to give the 3D effect on the wing, face , shirt, knees, neck, feet, and more I look at him ..... the 3D effect is coming I think!

IMG_1837.jpg
    So feel free for any comments , I just want to know more about sculpture!
    Do you think that putting an oil finished ( natural) little glossy, will help and add some 3D effect , because the oil will penetrate more in the cuts parts?
    The eyes and others items are coming ....
    πŸ˜‰

And thanks Scott , but I really want to do that piece in one part!πŸ˜‰

Thanks everybody and have a good day

planeur

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Yes color will enhance the effect. Be very careful and test it on scrap pieces that you also sanded contours into. Oils will bleed across the grain. Some woods are worse then others. Now if you cut it into different piece, stained and then attached to a backer you eliminate that worry. Just saying.

Leave a comment:

• planeur
    replied
    Salut les amis !
    I am working on my cloud sanding ( it's coming and I get more and more use to it πŸ˜‰), and I was wandering if the fact that I will tint with oil the differents parts , will give it probably more 3D effect ? The skin, the shirt, the cloud, the wing perhaps . Or you would oiled the piece with only one "color" ? πŸ™„

Merci and have a good day πŸ˜€

planeur

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Originally posted by planeur View Post

Rolf when you say taper from right to left, do you mean thinner near the body and thicker at the end of cloud as on the wing ?
    And on each cloud touching the body ?
    I had already sand some part , will show show soon!

Thanks

IMG_1825 (2) - Copie - Copie_LI.jpg
    Yes. Like Linda said you want it to appear that the angel is sitting on the cloud.

Leave a comment:

• planeur
    replied
    Originally posted by Rolf View Post
    Taper the clouds from right to left, taper the wings so that they are lower where they attach to the body. Taper the neck so that it looks like it is going into the night shirt.
    Rolf when you say taper from right to left, do you mean thinner near the body and thicker at the end of cloud as on the wing ?
    And on each cloud touching the body ?
    I had already sand some part , will show show soon!

Thanks

IMG_1825 (2) - Copie - Copie_LI.jpg

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Yes I would sand all around the hand and feet to give it some depth.

Leave a comment:

• planeur
    replied
    Well well well.... after a bike ride, a good night sleep..... I have decided to leave the angel in one piece ! I did a couple of time the other manner of assembling multiparts together ( intarsia ), as my Blue Heron, but I like to get more and more comfortable with a sculpture of a one piece.
    So here is the angel with my ( yours πŸ˜‰ ) proposal of work

IMG_1825 (2) - Copie_LI.jpg

OK as suggest and after looking at my angel, I would sand the left cloud to see more the legs that I will also rounded a bit more, then perhaps same thing on the cloud over his knees to see them more clearly, sand also both wing as suggest.
    Then the cloud near the hand so the shirt will be more visible, and also the neck entering in the shirt.
    Would you sand on each side of both feet to see them more clearly ?

Could it be a good idea to lower in thicknest all cloud , our angel would be more visible ?

Thanks to all and have a good day !
    P.S. Forgot to tell you , I will have some surprise additions , so see you at the end of sandind....
    πŸ˜‰

planeur
    Last edited by planeur; 05-16-2021, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Originally posted by planeur View Post
    Thanks to all !πŸ˜€ Your comment are very good and make sense!

My piece is 8"X8" X 1/2" thick.
    I though when I cutted the piece to do it in 1 piece or 4/5 , but after a while I decided to do it in one piece and carved it to have a 3D aspect.
    Was it a good idea.....?
    I will analyse your comments while having a bike ride today....! 😁

See you soon and thanks again πŸ˜‰

planeur
    Whatever way you decide to do if you are happy and your brother in law is happy it was a good idea. If you really want to be brave use it as a learning experience. Make several of them using different suggestions and see the difference.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
    Reply to Tough Decisions
    by will8989
    Scott, I was referring to her pms to Bill Wilson and Quartz. They posted her reply by pms instead of on here.
    Would be nice Quartz. I asked got Bob to put the issue next tp patterns and he said something about real estate. He found a way to do it and didn’t lose any real estate. Guess they don’t...
    Today, 10:57 AM
  • Quartz43
    Reply to Tough Decisions
    by Quartz43
    I would be pleased if FC at least did a trial of printing A pattern on regular sized text and also providing a scale up factor. Their resistance to do anything if a real pain. It was a similar lack of action with the website that resulted in lost viewers.
    Today, 09:46 AM
  • NC Scroller
    Reply to Tough Decisions
    by NC Scroller
    I think Kelly did that because I wrote a letter to the editor complaining about an article in the last addition. It was the article about staying connected online and it didn't mention the FC forum....
    Today, 06:36 AM
  • hotshot
    Reply to Demo display
    by hotshot
    The fastest I've ever seen one of those 3d deer cuts was by Rick Hutcheson. That man was super fast when we was working the shows.

Here he is much more recently, and a bit slower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riPDY6M-Lv8

Here is the pattern on Ricks' site: http://www....
    Yesterday, 10:58 PM
  • Linda In Phoenix
    Reply to Woodgrain Worked Against Me
    by Linda In Phoenix
    Rodney you and your wife make a great team! Very nicely done sir.
    Yesterday, 07:08 PM
Working...
X