Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My covid angel

Hello scrollsaw and sculptor experts !
    I will need your advises to do that drawing (found on the web ), to make it in 3D , with cherry wood. It is a gift for my brother in law, for his messages of encouragement concerning the COVID. and since more than a year.
    I wont tell you the finish plan of it ( a surprise....πŸ˜‰), but will need your help for the sculptor phase ! I am not yet a good sculptor as some of you but I begin to see more and more in 3D !😁
    I have allready cut it , and had sculpted some parts , as the cloud.
    So will show you the progrest later today.

Your advises are Welcome !

Thanks

planeur

Capture d'Γ©cran 2021-04-30 10.17.56.png

Here is the angel at this time, and please don't be afraid to criticize or advise me , I still have a lot to learn!πŸ˜‰πŸ™„
    First cutting

20210503_113442.jpg
    Then after today cutting, sanding, sanding, sanding.....πŸ˜„

IMG_1825 (2).JPG

How would you cut or make the feet to be more visible. I allready made a small cut with a knife

I love very much to do that piece, and it stimulate my creation and sculptor
    The eyes and hair are allready made, but you will see them later....πŸ˜‰

Thanks

planeur

Comment

Looking at the image, I would sand down the clouds a bit on the left (as you're looking at it)....to make it look like the clouds on the right are the closest to you. Then with the clouds to the left being less pronounced it will make it look more like he is sitting on them. Humorous design choice that makes you want to smile.
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

First off how thick is the board you cut?
        When I want something to stand out I use backer-boards 1/8 thick to get the depth.
        that means you would have to cut the big cutting into pieces to put the spacer behind.
        for instance the cloud bottom right which his hand is on I would put maybe 3/8 spacer behind that piece.
        Where by the bottom cloud would have none. the nightshirt would have 1/4 behind it.
        You have to play a little bit with the spacers to get the effect you want.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

I would start by tracing your piece on a piece of 1/8" (3mm) material and then cut the back our such that it is a fraction smaller that your project. Then I would cut your piece into two pieces. I mean cut the angel from the cloud. I would then put the cloud on the 1.8" backer and then with shims (small pieces of 1/8" material) make the angel thicker. I hope that makes sense.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Great designe! I would have gone a bit further than Linda, Scott and Gladefade I would cut it into more pieces to make shaping easier. Taper the clouds from right to left, taper the wings so that they are lower where they attach to the body. Taper the neck so that it looks like it is going into the night shirt.
            I look forward to see where you go with this.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks to all !πŸ˜€ Your comment are very good and make sense!

My piece is 8"X8" X 1/2" thick.
              I though when I cutted the piece to do it in 1 piece or 4/5 , but after a while I decided to do it in one piece and carved it to have a 3D aspect.
              Was it a good idea.....?
              I will analyse your comments while having a bike ride today....! 😁

See you soon and thanks again πŸ˜‰

planeur

Comment

Originally posted by planeur View Post
                Thanks to all !πŸ˜€ Your comment are very good and make sense!

My piece is 8"X8" X 1/2" thick.
                I though when I cutted the piece to do it in 1 piece or 4/5 , but after a while I decided to do it in one piece and carved it to have a 3D aspect.
                Was it a good idea.....?
                I will analyse your comments while having a bike ride today....! 😁

See you soon and thanks again πŸ˜‰

planeur
                Whatever way you decide to do if you are happy and your brother in law is happy it was a good idea. If you really want to be brave use it as a learning experience. Make several of them using different suggestions and see the difference.
                Scott

Comment

Well well well.... after a bike ride, a good night sleep..... I have decided to leave the angel in one piece ! I did a couple of time the other manner of assembling multiparts together ( intarsia ), as my Blue Heron, but I like to get more and more comfortable with a sculpture of a one piece.
                  So here is the angel with my ( yours πŸ˜‰ ) proposal of work

IMG_1825 (2) - Copie_LI.jpg

OK as suggest and after looking at my angel, I would sand the left cloud to see more the legs that I will also rounded a bit more, then perhaps same thing on the cloud over his knees to see them more clearly, sand also both wing as suggest.
                  Then the cloud near the hand so the shirt will be more visible, and also the neck entering in the shirt.
                  Would you sand on each side of both feet to see them more clearly ?

Could it be a good idea to lower in thicknest all cloud , our angel would be more visible ?

Thanks to all and have a good day !
                  P.S. Forgot to tell you , I will have some surprise additions , so see you at the end of sandind....
                  πŸ˜‰

planeur
                  Last edited by planeur; 05-16-2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Yes I would sand all around the hand and feet to give it some depth.
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                      Taper the clouds from right to left, taper the wings so that they are lower where they attach to the body. Taper the neck so that it looks like it is going into the night shirt.
                      Rolf when you say taper from right to left, do you mean thinner near the body and thicker at the end of cloud as on the wing ?
                      And on each cloud touching the body ?
                      I had already sand some part , will show show soon!

Thanks

IMG_1825 (2) - Copie - Copie_LI.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by planeur View Post

Rolf when you say taper from right to left, do you mean thinner near the body and thicker at the end of cloud as on the wing ?
                        And on each cloud touching the body ?
                        I had already sand some part , will show show soon!

Thanks

IMG_1825 (2) - Copie - Copie_LI.jpg
                        Yes. Like Linda said you want it to appear that the angel is sitting on the cloud.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Salut les amis !
                          I am working on my cloud sanding ( it's coming and I get more and more use to it πŸ˜‰), and I was wandering if the fact that I will tint with oil the differents parts , will give it probably more 3D effect ? The skin, the shirt, the cloud, the wing perhaps . Or you would oiled the piece with only one "color" ? πŸ™„

Merci and have a good day πŸ˜€

planeur

Comment

Yes color will enhance the effect. Be very careful and test it on scrap pieces that you also sanded contours into. Oils will bleed across the grain. Some woods are worse then others. Now if you cut it into different piece, stained and then attached to a backer you eliminate that worry. Just saying.
                            Scott

Comment

Hello angel fan !
                              Sorry to had let you wait so long for the following.....
                              πŸ˜‰πŸ˜

Well sculptor is something , and more on small piece, that what I am discovering, probably because of y lack of experience ! So I did my best till today to give the 3D effect on the wing, face , shirt, knees, neck, feet, and more I look at him ..... the 3D effect is coming I think!

IMG_1837.jpg
                              So feel free for any comments , I just want to know more about sculpture!
                              Do you think that putting an oil finished ( natural) little glossy, will help and add some 3D effect , because the oil will penetrate more in the cuts parts?
                              The eyes and others items are coming ....
                              πŸ˜‰

And thanks Scott , but I really want to do that piece in one part!πŸ˜‰

Thanks everybody and have a good day

planeur

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X