Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Articulated 3-d snake puzzle pattern - or expand it to what ever animal you want.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Articulated 3-d snake puzzle pattern - or expand it to what ever animal you want.

I watched Alex Snodgrass cut a foot long snake, on a bandsaw, in about 15 minutes - and he didn't even use a pattern. Carter used to give the pattern away, free, at wood worker shows, but now they cut out 3-d reindeer for demo purposes. Steve Goode has a small fish pattern, using the articulated cutting on his website and Wood Magazine has two or three articles using the pattern.
    Peter Chapman has made this puzzle form into a real art form.

Here is the basic cutting pattern. for the puzzle form, to make a snake. It's hand drawn, so forgive my shaky lines. Actually, you could hand draw the pattern right onto the wood if you wished. You can see that it isn't that hard to draw. You can enlarge or reduce the size of the pattern as needed.

If you wanted to make a fish, elongate one side of the pattern, cut your puzzle, put it back together, and then draw the fish pattern and cut it out. I think I did that, but I haven't found the fish pattern I used for the fish shaping. A drum sander is a must to help finalize the shape of the piece.

One thing I didn't mention in the PDF is to drill the hole for the eyepiece/lockpiece before cutting the puzzle. This isn't super critical, but it's easier than drilling after the puzzle is cut.

Have fun with it.
    articulated snake pattern.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tgiro01; 10-14-2016, 12:56 PM.
    Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

thanks for the pattern.
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X