woven basket pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woven basket pattern

A pattern for this style of basket has been around for ages but the site that used to host it seems to have disapeared so picking up the threads where others have left off I came up with a pattern of my own which suits my needs though it's a lot smaller that the picnic hamper sized original.

woven scroll saw basket.jpg
    Img_0518.jpg
    Img_0520.jpg
    I've also done a video outlining the assembly process since traditionally this seems to be the part most people get stuck on... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXW-FfxCXiA

Col.
    Last edited by WalneyCol; 07-21-2016, 08:33 PM.

Very nice, Col! Excellent pictures and plan. Not sure where it will reside in my to do list, but I like it.
    Floyd
    ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

Nice work!
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

A wonderful looking basket. May have to try one.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Good looking basket...what size are the staves?
          ichibob
          aka - Bob, USAF Ret.
          www.grandpaswoodshed.com

Comment

Looks very nice. thanks for sharing. will have to check out your video and maybe put it on the "someday" try list.
            Melanie from East TN

Comment

On my honey do list so I started to get ready and I was not sure what cut on the 2 areas marked below with arrow. Also what is the size of the blank

Thanks bb1.jpg
              Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Don in Brooklin On View Post
                On my honey do list so I started to get ready and I was not sure what cut on the 2 areas marked below with arrow. Also what is the size of the blank

Thanks [ATTACH=CONFIG]n840715[/ATTACH]
                I followed the links in the YouTube video and got my answers. Ready to go. Size is 14.71 " x 7.5

To obtain the full size plan for this basket right-click the above drawing and save it to your computer. That's all there is to it. The drawing was made at 200 pixels per inch resolution and if printed out full size will produce the plans for a basket approx 29cm long x 19cm wide x 9cm tall. No internal cuts are required but each ring will be cut through at an angle (see the zig-zag part of the drawing) and all these ring joints will need to be glued closed again before proceeding with the assembly which is decribed the the following video. (coming later today...)
                Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

I have completed 2 of these baskets. Easy to do once you watch video. Cut from cherry (I think as it was free wood).

I did the first one as per pattern. Second one I drilled a 18degree starter hole for the bands and I used pegs (wheel axles) instead of the dowel on the handles. Finished with tung oil.

Thanks for the pattern and video
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Your baskets look very nice Don. Thanks for showing your photos of the finished projects.
                    Melanie from East TN

Comment

Very nicely done Ron, thanks for trying it out. :-)

Col.

Comment

Nice pattern. Thanks for sharing.
                        Rick
                        Rick
                        www.thescrollerandtoler.com
                        DeWalt 788 Type 1 and Ex 21
                        find us on FB,Pinterest,Instagram

Comment

BTW - if there is anything of any weight in the basket, don't carry it by the handles. Depending on the wood, they are end grain and easily broken. I made two of them from poplar for my grandaughter, who gave one to her 8-year old daughter. Broken the same day. Then my Grand daughter broke hers within a couple off weeks.

I was able to fashion some new handles which barely match, but have held up to the task, so far.
                          Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X